Masters Running

The Saturday Daily (Read 412 times)

Nice running, Karin. 65 days? Sheebus.

Slo- I'm doing a brief quadrathlon tomorrow: Run 3.5, swim .25, bike 7.5, canoe/kayak 1. I haven't been in a canoe or a kayak in 25 years. Suffice it to say I'm hardly expecting a podium finish.

Nice work in your tri.

8 miles today in the H&H, 1:10:13

Walt

Slo

Sounds like fun Walt. Don't worry, I've heard Kayaking is just like riding a bike.......Just in case though....How's your Eskimo Roll ?

CNY......Friggin Awesome ! I'd love to go to a Minor League game too........Oh, and not a bad race either.

Seriously.......What a great race. Well done, well deserved, but most of all, well earned!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Congratulations, Karin!!  Great job.

The Beach to Beacon 10K was a lot of fun.  DS17 really enjoyed having an elite number.  While the rest of us back in the masses tried to jump up and down to stay loose, he was allowed to cross the start line and warm up on the open road!  At the end, he went into the elite tent and got an "elite banana," as he put it.  He didn't feel like eating more, and didn't get a massage because the other people getting them were all Kenyans!  He didn't want to butt in.

My goal time was 1:08, and I pushed my watch at 1:08!  I love the Garmin.  I could check my average pace all during the race, and seeing a pace a few seconds too slow really kicked me into gear.  A PR for me by a minute, 3 seconds.

DS was hoping for 35:00, but ended up at 35:55.  He came in 109th out of 5600 runners.  I don't know where he fell in his age group, but he was the 7th fastest HS runner from Maine (NOT what he was hoping for).  He said that his pace was really just his tempo pace - he can't seem to push past the wall and go any faster.  I told him to just keep plugging.  It was still a PR for him by 53 seconds.

Ben True, 23, the runner who went to DS's high school, came in 10th place.  He was the first American finisher.  His time was 29:10, a course record (by over a minute) for a Maine runner.

It was hot and humid - it felt much harder than when we ran it a week ago.  I'm still pooped.  DS is sound asleep.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

what a great day everyone is having.

Makes me feel like running too. . . . ,,

oh, I did, . . . with my new buddies from the Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club,

I was going to do another casual six-and-a-half or seven hour marathon and make sure none of them got DGL last place but I ended up pacing with Mr. Kokubu tellin' him all about the alpine glaciers we were passing, salmon in some of my favorite trout fishing streams from those golden days of carefree youth, deer on the road ahead, bald eagles all over the place waiting for the bears' left-over salmon, etc and ended up with a 5:17Tight lippedx, 40 minutes faster any of my other eleven so far this year. Got a lot of incentive when my daughter's cheerleading friend from high school passed me on her way to a 3:59 first mary making me think of mine too in those days and other goddesses whose recent virgins I missed. <<<(tammy/tammy)>>>  

Actually, the bear are about six - ten feet right below a viewing platform.  My parents would never let me go there in those days and my friends have been tragically mauled and killed by brown bears over the years so just seein' 'em in the wild still gives me goosebumps but the bears couldn't care less now as they are intent on feeding and we're not a perceived or real interference. 

Yup, there should be some pictures of more than just bear after I get back too.

Did I mention I have a new grandson who brought his bare feet to greet me.

oh, did i mention i have a ne. . ... oh.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

NICE race, Tetsujin! You did awesome! I didn't even realize that marathon was being held today. Aamos told me I have to do it because it's "almost" local and a real treat of a course. Congratulations on your fast time, that's great! Looking forward to GS pictures....

SLO, good for you for setting a goal and not letting go! I love how you were scoping out the other runners to find targets in your AG. Way to rack up the roadkill! 

Karin, wow, 65 days straight. I know a lot of people do long stretches of running regularly, but I can't go more than 20 days before really needing a break. Either that, or my schedule and other things just get in the way and break the streak. 

Teresa congratulations on making your time goal and big congrats to your son for his time. It may not have been what he wanted, but it's a PR, right? The kid who placed 10th was just smokin' out there!

Well, as I expected, the 8k race got smoked out, rescheduled to later this month. Came home and hopped on the treadmill for my 10 miler. 5 miles @ 8:50, 3 miles @ 8:34, 2.42 miles @ 8:20 for 8:39 avg pace overall. Felt pretty good on this run and I think my legs are finally over being insulted by last weekend's hills. This run was good and I didn't mind being on the 'mill while I listened to a new play list of random songs that DS2 put together for me ("no rap, no hip hop, lots of rock" was my request). But I sure hope things clear up soon because I am not looking forward to 20 miles on it tomorrow.

Today's run put me at 40 miles. If I make my 20 miler tomorrow, that'll give me 60 for the week... a new weekly PR! (oops, hope I didn't just jinx myself there...)

Mariposai

60 mile week, wow Erika, you are racking up them miles so beautifully.

The post that brougth me a huge smile today was that of Tetsujin. Congrats taperboy on your great 5:XX marathon today. Your description of the course and your guest makes me ache for your race report. Pictures, pictures, please.

I am trying to decide if I should wake up at 4 am to go for my LR tomorrow. It is 105 in my town right now.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wow!!  you all never cease to amaze and inspire me!!  this daily is filled with AG winners, race PRs, mileage PRs, consecutive days running PRs, elite sons, 4 and 5am runners -- you are all truly awesome!!

i plugged away for 5.5 miles today with 2 of them on the beach with the tide creeping up - so beautiful out there!!

we have a full house at the camper tonight -- dh took 21 yr old son out fishing today -- he looks more lost and confused today than the past few days but good days and bad days are to be expected.......still thankful for the progress being made!!

denise

TammyinGP

wonderful marathon report there Tet! Anxious to see pics!

Tammy

evanflein

Blueberries, anyone?

Even up at 2,600 feet it was still smoky.

SteveP

Guess I am just stubborn. 

Stubborn makes for a successful runner

Blueberries rock!!!

1.5 ith DW, a buddy and 2 dogs.

SteveP