Masters Running

Excitement still in the air - Tues Master runs and RR's (Read 529 times)

xor

I'm working my way through the Daniels' marathon training "A plan". Don't ask me why it's the A plan. The other choices are "elite" and "just want to finish". "A" seems to be medium (?). There are several asskicker workouts along the way. Today was one of them: 2 mi easy, 4x12 minutes t-pace run w/ 2 minutes recovery, 2 mi easy. These are basically Daniels "cruise intervals". A little easier than a 48 minute tempo run, but plenty hard for me two days after a 50k where I PRed. (in fairness, that PR was a party trick. You know how you PR a 50k while still running 31 miles easy? You run several really hard 50ks on technical trails and then pick the easiest course possible. And run consistently the whole way) 12.7 miles total today. Phew.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

SRL--Never did hear how the herd was this morning Tongue just saw this on the Cool Running newsletter http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/26/health/nutrition/26best.html?_r=1&ref=nutrition (I can't seem to get this to work as a link) I always wondered if it would work, but didn't realize how much study has gone into it. sounds like i'll need to add a pre-run/race fill up.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Stumpy - I can't get the link to work. Confused

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

me neither--I've been fighting with it for 10 minutes. It's a NY times article--maybe they don't allow linking? copying and pasting works. otherwise WTF Confused

Renee the dog

Try this experiment next time you are running and you feel fatigued. Say to yourself, "lift the knees."
            Oh, that's what I'm supposed to say. I always say to myself, "There's coffee at the end." Blush

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

#artbydmcbride

Runners run

Slo

Slo

Oh, that's what I'm supposed to say. I always say to myself, "There's coffee at the end." Blush
                  According to Stumpy's Link your supposed to take coffee 1st !
                  wildchild

Carolyn

Caffeine, huh? I'm not a morning runner but morning is the only time I drink caffeine, so maybe I should have a second cup of coffee before my lunchtime run and see if I notice any improvement. I'll try it and report back... 4.5 easy miles at lunchtime on a paved bike path in the local state park. Ever since I started working in this part of town I've been scoping out the best unpaved running trails, so I don't know many paved places to run, but until the snow melts and the mud dries out, I need to stick to paved paths.Temps in the 60's and 70's all week, though, so everything should dry out soon. Smile Can't wait for the Boston RRs!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

xor

me neither--I've been fighting with it for 10 minutes. It's a NY times article--maybe they don't allow linking? copying and pasting works. otherwise WTF Confused
                      Stumpasaurus: This message board, unlike some others, does not automagically turn urls into actual "hot" links (and I don't mean sausage). To make something clickable, you have to embed the url in an "a tag". The easiest way to do that is to paste in the URL, highlight it, and then punch the little hyperlink button above the message edit box. It's the button that looks like the earth with a chain link in front of it. You will notice when you hit the button that your url is now surrounded by secret magic. That's how you open and close an a tag. You can continue using the little button, or you can just type the tag in manually when you are writing a post. Ok then.

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Another picture perfect day in Seattle, sunny ,blue sky low 70s....I fear the party is almost over...we'll be back to really tomorrow ... 7:41 miles bright and early, at a 9:00 min pace, the first 3 miles the legs were tired but the more I ran the better they felt. Got back home, showered had my second breakfast and got out on the bike for an hour, I just did not want to go to work..... Looking forward to all those Boston RRs!! Good runs to all!! Francesca
                        stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Thanks all. that was what I thought i was doing. it would act like a link, but then not find the page. never underestimate the ability of an engineer to make a simple thing complicated. Tongue

xor

For years, people have been setting PRs left and right at the Newport (OR) Marathon. I did too a few years ago. Literally half my friends set a PR and/or BQed there last year. And for a few years, I've been quietly saying "I think this course is short." Mind you, it is certified. Has been for years. So it has to be right, correct? Nope. The certification expired this year and it had to go through re-cert. Some of us noticed that the course map was now subtly different. (here's what a very trustworthy person recently wrote elsewhere)
                            I noticed the course had a subtle change on the website and it turns out that when it got its ten year review recently, they had to add an additional 4/10 of a mile due to "road improvements over the years" according to the race director.
                            The "I told you so" part of my brain wants to do a little dance, but this is instructive in general. Just because a course has been certified at some point does not, in fact, guarantee that the course you are running this year is the correct distance.

King of PhotoShop

SRL, you run far races than I do. What would you think are the likely reasons for a discrepancy of this size? In order for it to be certified, I would think a jones wheel. What are your thoughts? Spareribs
                              xor

SRL, you run far races than I do. What would you think are the likely reasons for a discrepancy of this size? In order for it to be certified, I would think a jones wheel. What are your thoughts? Spareribs
                                I know how courses are certified, which I won't go into here... but I totally expect that the course, as certified in 1999, was 26/385. I've no idea what happened here. And it had to be more complex than a simple 'short' mile in the middle or placing the turnaround cone too soon. If either of those had occurred, then it would have been crystal clear in people's splits (at least people who run evenly). A little spooky, really. 2/5s of a mile! (edited because math is hard)