Masters Running

Tuesday 4/16/19 (Read 48 times)

an amazing likeness

5.4mi in town loop tonight, easy effort, just logging miles, battled same howling NW winds from Quebec as Coastwalker faced this morning, turned into a mime a few times.

My town has a free brush pickup coming next week, so the sidewalks are filled with piles of everyone's tree debris, including brown Christmas trees. Suspect the routine is to heave the tree out the back door into the snow in late December...then drag it out front for brush pickup in April; saves a few bucks on the dump fees, ya know.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Steve - great recap and photos of your grandkids and that big white rodent!!

Joe - absolutely wonderful recap and photos!! I hope you really enjoy your time in Boston!! The weather was as much of a roller coaster as the rolling Newton Hills yesterday!!

dnaff - we are spending 4 nights in each Florence, Rome and Sorrento - not going on  a tour but have day tours and skip the line tours booked.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - yesterday being at the front of the start line on Human Chain 1 was absolutely amazing as always HOWEVER the most important part of my day was meeting GD #3 in the afternoon!!!! My son Nicholas and his wife Allison had their 1st baby at 7:46am yesterday -- I was already in Hopkinton when I got the news!! I continued with my start line volunteering and had a blast , met up with Jay briefly, took the volunteer bus back to Boston, ran over to the orange line T stop, transferred to the Commuter Rail at No Station and took that back to Wilmington where my DH picked me up!! We then drove out to Worcester to visit with the new parents and my delicious new grandbaby!!  Drove back to Lawrence where my car was all day and I made it in time to enjoy the after party!!  It was quite a day!!!

Baby Emily Mae weighed in at 7lb 6.8oz and her parents look totally in love with their little bundle!!

Happy Tuesday night!!

denise

an amazing likeness

My son Nicholas and his wife Allison had their 1st baby at 7:46am yesterday...

Congratulations to Nick! A truly nice and genuine person, just a fantastic guy.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

BTY

Hello Runners!  So, how many of our number ran Boston yesterday?  Joe, any others?

Today I swam 2200 yards, alternating 500 yards backstroke/500 yards freestyle for the first 2000 yards.  I wanted to get in as much of another 500 yard backstroke as I could fit in, with just about 8:00 left...but after 50 yards the arch of my foot started cramping and I hate swimming backstroke with a cramping foot.  So I switched to 25 yards butterfly sprints.  Felt like I was towing something behind me, though it turns out I was not.  Finished up with 5 25 yard freestyle sprints, because that was about all I felt like I could do.

Tonight was particularly challenging as there were 6 of us in 3 lanes.  The four women shared two lanes, and I share with a man I call Clarence, though not to his face.  He just reminds me so much of Clarence Oddbody, Angel 2nd Class, from It's a Wonderful Life, that it is now his name.  Anyway, I find it impossible to circle swim (basically NASCAR in one lane) so we agree to each stay on one side of the lane.  This raises the degree of difficulty considerably, as I wind up crashing into the  lane marker just about every time I near the end of a lap in which the marker is on my right side.  Fortunately it doesn't happen on freestyle, but it definitely makes the whole workout a bit harder.   I'm glad he's a good sport about it, because I'm I'm sure I create a pretty good wake for someone sharing the lane with me.

BTY

Joe618

Evening all!

Fattozig, that's a good bit of courageous financial conversation you and your DH are having.   Not easy to do but vital.   Sounds like a healthy and useful decision and a good plan going forward.   Doubly good to skip the Las Vegas gathering that meant little relationally.   Very wise.

Tammy, nice analysis on the HM.   Good on you to help out your friend.   You're fine. 

We had a good day here in Boston.   Marj, I did wear my adidas marathon jacket but wearing the medal just seemed over the top to me.   I did see a number of runners wearing them and I know that's a thing.   Even saw one guy wearing his additional medal used to hold the World Major Marathon insignia.   Naaaah.

As henrun mentioned, the weather in Boston today was sunny but cool and windy.   We took the morning to sleep in and catch up on a lot of phone calls and taking it easy.   In the afternoon, we went to the NE Aquarium, which was a pleasant surprise to us...enjoyed it a lot.   Then we went to the Old North Church.  That was fascinating.   After that, we went to dinner just off Harvard Square with an engineer who used to work with us and moved to Boston last summer after her hubby finished a high tech PdD at Purdue.   A marvelous 2 hour meal at a Venezuealan place and terrific conversation.

Tet, you raise a logical point about considering a Boston #2.   My first interest is to simply ponder if I can qualify again...it would likely mean another 3:58 or better marathon, perhaps 3:56.   I'd like to simply know I have the option of getting in.   I also simply mentioned it here because I feel as if there is some  unfinished business.   I did Chicago a third time for that same reason, same for USAF Marathon.   It's also early.   Thank you for commenting so directly, though, I do appreciate it.

Legs felt quite good today.  We walked about 5+ miles, my DWs app said, with lots of stairs in and out of subway stations.    It was a fun commentary on the T when I'd see another marathoner creeping up and down the steps and we could commiserate.   I'm already antsy to start running again.   Maybe Saturday morning before we fly out, for sure on Sunday afternoon at home. 

Rock your Wednesday everyone!!

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, overslept so ran after work.  5+ miles at an 8:45 pace.  Warm, but a hint of cool in the breeze so not too bad....certainly not compared to what's coming.  After that I taught my spin class at the Y.

Steve, like Tramps I also laughed out loud at the ski mask comment.  I hope the trip to the bank went well.  RunnerKSA is a better choice, but I can think of several countries without extradition treaties; just not sure how many of them I'd want to live in.

Joe, thanks for the greta recap.  Brought back some memories.  Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Tet, nice photo!  I'm glad the photogs were there early for y'all!

RunnerKSA, I think you may have mentioned this....but....have you done Chickamauga Battlefield?  The Chattanooga Track Club puts it on and they do a great job with it.  It was my first marathon and I'm thinking I may just make my last when I'm ready to stop doing fulls.

Have a greta night everyone!

I did the half at Chickamauga and my daughter did the full.  Terrific event.

Denise- congratulations on the new grandchild!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Leslie - glad you got rid of the double stresses

of car and too distant relatives too.  Not easy.

Tet, you raise a logical point about considering a Boston #2.   My first interest is to simply ponder if I can qualify again...it would likely mean another 3:58 or better marathon, perhaps 3:56.   I'd like to simply know I have the option of getting in.   I also simply mentioned it here because I feel as if there is some  unfinished business.   I did Chicago a third time for that same reason, same for USAF Marathon.   It's also early.   Thank you for commenting so directly, though, I do appreciate it.

Joe - excellent.

Thanks for sharing.

Knowing our different reasons for the same running we all love makes it possible to jump in and enjoy each other's separate journeys and experiences same as if our own.  Looking forward very much to your possible progress on another magical run to Boston. How did nos. 2 and 3 work out for MCM and USAF?  Good luck.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

nbwalker

The heck with fitness and fun.

I'd run for money too if I could.

Might I suggest a shoe contract?

ShonanH would love to sponsor a runner!

https://www.amazon.com/ShonanH-Japanese-Traditional-10-5-11-5-26-5-27-0CM/dp/B07114RT6J/ref=asc_df_B07114RT6J/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312531562798&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5878915584297272616&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033983&hvtargid=pla-571524352205&psc=1

And, my DH came the first time, and like your DW, got stuck in the gridlocked subway with Erika's DH.  I was back at the hotel and showered before DH made it back.  He said, "Never again."    He's not good with crowds...

Got stuck... that was two hours underground in a standing room only subway car packed about half as tightly as a Tokyo rush hour train. With a bunch of spoiled Americans. Never again is right!

Marathon Maniac #957

the most important part of my day was meeting GD #3 in the afternoon!!!! My son Nicholas and his wife Allison had their 1st baby at 7:46am yesterday

Baby Emily Mae weighed in at 7lb 6.8oz and her parents look totally in love with their little bundle!!

Congratulations to Nicholas and Allison on the birth of their 1st baby!

BTY - I hate sharing a lane.  Not only do I tend to over compensate the giving over of room and then run into the lane marker, but it totally ruins the quiet mental groove I get into during my swims.

Milktruck - sure is nice to see you stopping by more often. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...Congratulations to Granny Deez..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....