Masters Running

Race Report:A PR for the Woods Lady (Read 266 times)

I am a little late with this report, but still jumpiing with glee!   Bragging a lot too! I drove three hours to Salem, OR, and ran last Fri. PM at  7   in a Summer Solstice 5K with DD1, and DGS4. It was at Minto Brown Park along the Willamette River through woods and farm fields.   It was perfect overcast weather, about  58degrees. 

When I registered, I was told there were no bibs, but would be given a stick with a number at the end of the race, which we would take to a table, and receive a number for ice cream.  OK.

I paid more attention to warming up at this race, because I have been slow, grumpy, out of breath, and heavy in the legs for the first half mile of  many races.  So I did  stretches, including some for upper body, and jogged around a little before the start. 

The starting point was not clear.   It turned out there was a short chalk line, but I didn't see it until I crossed it ,already running. A woman had talked through a horn, but could not be heard .  Off we went at a gun shot, and the warming up had helped.  I did 7 minute run segments, with 2 or 3 minutes walking inbetween.  The paved bike path was  very rough in many places, with holes in the pavement, etc.  Part of the route was on gravel and dirt, and there was one very large puddle, which had to be walked around, because of a field of peas next to it.   Those things slowed me down just a little.  I remembered to take faster and smaller steps,even when walking, and keep pumping my arms.  all like Ribs and otheres said to do. 

There was Gatoraid at the one mile place, but in those tiny cups.  I like bigger cups so it doesn't spill out, and so there is a little more.  As usual, the 2nd mile is easier for me than the first, and it was fun.  The last mile started to take it's toll, but I managed to pass a couple of people, keep focused, and run more than I walked.  I did a little longer sprint to the finish than I have managed before - I try to "finish strong" like Econo tells me to do.  A woman had a stop watch, and I was given a card with a number - my place, which was 130.  There were about 200 in the race.  No other women in my AG, as usual. 

I kept  walking around afterwards so I wouldn't get light headed, and wanted water, but there as none.  I then went to the 1 mile Gatoraid place, and they had plenty, and asked if I could have some, which they were nice about.  I also had done my gum drop routine at mile 1, mile 2, and at the end.    Little old lady solution to low blood sugar.  So I did just fine.

Yet again I had started my watch at the start, but forgot at the end.  I thought I had done well, though,and I did.  Whoopee!  A new PR ever for me, at a pace of 13:22.   That was a better of about 30 seconds from my old PR of March 1st. I have held to a good training schedule, and it payed off. 

We knew the Utah Relay team was out at the same time, and were sending them good vibes.  The next morning we called Econo between her 2nd and 3rd segments, and exchanged best wishes, etc.  Congratulations to all those Relay people!

Woods Lady, aka MaEcono

Whoo hoo, Woods Lady!! Greta job on your PR. 

How cool to run with your DD & DGS.  I'd trade a bib # for ice cream any day.  Your line about the pea patch slowing you down cracked me up!  I think that would slow anyone down.  I may borrow the gum drop idea.

Thanks for the RR and congrats!

Eliz

hoping to run like WD when I'm a "little old lady," even though she's not really one of those 

flomotioncoaching.com

Eliz the piano player,- thanks so much.  I also want to say that I have Bach piano suites, and Brandenburg Concerti in my head most of the way when I run - I pick up the tempi- and off I go.  Also "The Flight of the Bumble Bee " has been my head a lot lately when running.

Marathon Maniac #957

Yay!  You had a well-thought out plan, perfectly executed - excellent job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Top 'O the World!

Woo-Hoo!! Brag away Lady!!  That is Kewl!  Big Congrats!
            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
            RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

MaEconoWoodsLady!

This was fun.  I always like reading your reports because I can feel the excitement!  Congratulations on a new personal best! 

The relay was very fun but, it's just sad that Vans 1 & 2 are so separated by time and distance.

http://www.kickrunners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53096

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Great running, Woods Lady.  You ran with a daughter and grandson, passed people in the last mile, got 1st in your AG, and a 30 second PR.  Life is good.  Congratulations.

TomS

Congratulations Ma Econo/Woods Lady!  You are kicking some runnin' butt out there and taking no names.  Good for you!  I, too, got a chuckle about the pea patch and had to read it twice to make sure I understood what I thought I understood.

I get a song stuck in my head during my runs and, in my reports, I like to give homage to the artist . . . . and then I try not to listen to that song for a very long time.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

How wonderful to be able to run a race w/ your grandson (and DD)!!!  It doesn't get better than that,

unless it's combined w/ getting a PR!

Lovely report and I know what

you mean about those little cups!

coastwalker

Another greta race, and another well-written and entertaining RR, Woods Lady! You're becoming a real pro at this racing and writing stuff. Congrats on a well-executed race plan, a phantastic PR, and on scaring all the other wimmen in your AG away from the race. It sounds like you're doing a good job in the walking segments of your race. Now you'll have to work a little harder on stopping your watch at the end of the race (although I have to admit that I missed the stop button on my watch at the end of my last race, and so only have a guesstimate of my final split and actual finishing time). It seems that the only bummer was that there was no water at the finish, but you also found a solution to that problem.

Keep up the great work!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Ohhh!  I missed this when I was away -- sorry to be so tardy in replying.  You go girl!  Another awesome race.  Yes, you had been chasing that PR for a long time and finally the conditions were right.  Minto Brown Park doesn't have much shade; glad to hear that the temperature was reasonable.

And V did super, too!  The excitement in her text message (at 1:30am!) was clear.

TammyinGP

YAY Ma!! Congrats on yet another GREAT race! You just keep knocking out those PR's and AG wins like a pro!

Tammy

SteveP

I love your RRs Woods Lady. You run with your heart and that's so kewl.

SteveP

and there was one very large puddle, which had to be walked around, because of a field of peas next to it.  

I love small races such as this....but usually they'll at least have porta potties.

Nice going on the race.  Sounds like you had a good plan and executed it well.  Congrats on the AG win!  Even though you were the only one, they're always worth celebrating.

And running with DD and DGS is priceless.   Good going!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Great job, EconoMom! Always nice to get a PR under any circumstances.

I understand perfectly about the warmup issues, too. In a longer race, you can make up for it, but I think that a 5K calls for at least a half-mile warmup, if not more, in order to run at target pace from the start. I used to always be concerned about "using up my energy" and would avoid warmup runs, but now I've seen how important it can be for runners in our "advanced" AGs.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"