Masters Running

Saturdaily, 6.2.18 (Read 34 times)

Preventative care is a must!  Wish I could convince The Hub of that.  He's getting better, but . . .

I'm on the 5-year plan for The Procedure.  Thankfully, I have 4 yrs 'til it comes around again.

I'm pooped . . .

Today was Grasshopper Peak 30k.  This is my 3rd year to sweep. I have unhealthy hate/love relationship with this race.  And "hate" definitely should be the lead in that sentence.

This race is just plain hard. There's 4,268 feet of elevation gain in the 18.60 miles with most of that is in the first 10, which translates into a lot of walking - at least for me.  And some of the sections feel like they're straight up.  Then you have 2 miles of leg-busting downhill, followed 6 miles of undulating trail through the redwoods  And being as it's Southern Humboldt, it has been quite warm in years past, but this year it was probably 10+ degrees cooler than normal, which helped a lot.

When I got to the first aid station at Mile 4.5, a local lady runner, Lenore, who was working the AS decided to run with me to get some miles in.  Lenore is much faster than I am.  Two years ago she was in the women's lead when she collapsed a mile from the finish.  Ends up she had a mini stroke ().  She hasn't stopped running, but her family has told her she's not allowed to race this course anymore.   She qualified for and ran Boston this year.

Anyway, I'm usually completely alone as the sweep, so it was really nice to have company this year, and Lenore kept me moving.  If I hadn't had sweep duties, I might have actually been able to get under 5 hrs this year, but it wasn't meant to be.

We knew we were "on the heels" of the slowest runner for quite a bit of the run, and after the last AS at Mile 12, I caught up with her after about 10-15 min. (Lenore had gone off to climb up to the fire tower.  Being as it would have add almost 2 miles, I declined to join her.  I didn't want to keep the AS workers waiting for me any longer than they had to.)  Not only was this the first time Allison had run the course, but it was also the longest run she'd ever done.  By the time I caught her, she was moving, but she was struggling, so I got the privilege of helping her get to the finish.  We did a lot of walking and I just about talked her ear off to try and get her mind off how bad she was hurting.  Lenore caught up with us with about 3 miles left and shortly after Allison ran out of water, so we were letting her pull off our hydration packs.  At that point, you don't care if you're swapping spit with a complete stranger, you just want to see them finish.  And she did in about 5:15.  Her husband, who had finished the 30k in 3-something, met us about a mile from the finish and when we got to the finish, Lenore and I backed off so Allison and her hub could cross the finish line together.  I was so happy for her, I almost started crying.  I'm getting misty-eyed just thinking about it.

My marching orders for her were to get up and walk around a lot of this evening and be mindful about recovery eating . . . . I should have listened to myself.  My legs - my knees - are not happy campers.

I have 11 months to recovery and prepare for next year . . . 

30K Course Profile

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

Leslie, that is a mean course! Kuddos to you

Henrun, I am so glad to see that your Achiles tendinitis is doing better.

tomwhite, I am going to need tips from you for swimming since I will be taking focusing in improving my swimming this summer.

MikeE, how cool that you had a chance to run with the soon to be a marathoner. I am sure you gave him a HUGE confidence boost, just because who you are and the caliber of runner you are.

Holly,  how are you doing? I hope you are pampering yourself.

Spacityrunner, I am so longing for the day I can run trails.

Quickadder, nice 10 miler. Sorry to hear about your friend. Early screening is so important.

Tramps, LOL.

Today I race a 5k and for the second time the Easy Pacer bit me . The rest of the day was spent in hours of home-caring plus a retirement party for my DH's Ranger. His mission was Restoring, Recreations, Relationship. Over 200 people of all walks of life showed up to his retirement party to show his respect, to honor him and to share their funny stories. He was a ranger at the district for only 9 years. Talk about someone who is mission driven.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Too late to add much, but I did read the thread. Good job, Leslie. Always nice to help someone reach their goal.

I ran 6.1 miles today in between shopping and finishing the garden. Ufda. I always say I'm going to cut it back, and now I have a full garden with 6 rows of potatoes... 5 different varieties. I told myself last year that I wouldn't do that again. Oh well. I'll enjoy the inevitable results. Smile

Marathon Maniac #957

Been a busy day of hobbies. 18 holes waling this morning. 10k run and 5 games reffing soccer

Wow - that is a busy day!

Leslie - very cool!

Mariposai - you should tell the Easy Pacer that biting is not nice....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."