Masters Running

Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon RR (Read 26 times)

pfriese

Just a short RR on yesterday's marathon

My goal was 4:05.  But with ITB issues I've been having the past month I knew that was unlikely. I held pace through mile 12. The hip never loosened up & just didn't feel right. So, I backed off the pace at the 13 miles. By mile 15, the hip was hurting & I guess my gate had changed causing a blister on my toe. I stopped at the aid station for a band-aid. It was all over after that & I never could get a good pace going again. By mile 20 it was a lot of walking.

I did finish my 1st Medicare age marathon in a time of 4:38. Good for a 4th in my new AG.

Paul

TammyinGP

Sorry about the issues that popped up  Paul, but I think a 4:38 is still quite impressive and 4th AG is pretty darn spectacular also.  Good job!  How's the IT band feeling after a long distance like that?

I have a local friend, from Oklahoma, that flew out there to run the 5K and HM of this race. She absolutely loves it and I think she's gone back a few times now to run it.

Tammy

Henrun

With all those miseries you did well. Congrats. Better times are ahead.

evanflein

A 4:38 with all that and the mostly walking finish is nothing to feel bad about! Well done, Paul! You continue to impress with getting out there and getting it done.

Dave59

Nice work on the medicare age marathon.

BTY

Well done, Paul.  Certainly understand the disappointment in not being able to run pain free and/or meeting your goal time, but wow you finished in spite of it and in an impressive time and with a 4th in AG.   Well done indeed!

Well run under the circumstances, Paul. I've of course been following your training on Strava and was glad to see that you finished the race and in a respectable time.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Tramps

Ow, sounds like a rough one. Tough of you to stick it out.  Hope you find a solution to the ITB issues.

Be safe. Be kind.

pfriese

Sorry about the issues that popped up  Paul, but I think a 4:38 is still quite impressive and 4th AG is pretty darn spectacular also.  Good job!  How's the IT band feeling after a long distance like that?

I have a local friend, from Oklahoma, that flew out there to run the 5K and HM of this race. She absolutely loves it and I think she's gone back a few times now to run it.

Thanks for comments. The IT band still ain't right, but wasn't any worse on Tuesday after the race. I got on the indoor bike for a few miles then. I've also got out for a run on Thursday & Friday. It seems to be getting better. So, I guess I didn't damage it running a marathon on it. The marathon course had a lot of changes from previous years. I really didn't like it as much as the old course. It has a lot more turns & hills, but it does get you out of the Oklahoma wind (which we didn't have any of this year). The HM course only had a few changes and I'll probably run it next year. I've never done the 5K. I actually feel less disappointed on reflection. And of course I'm already looking for a spring or early summer marathon for 2022.

Paul

Marathon Maniac #957

I did finish my 1st Medicare age marathon in a time of 4:38. Good for a 4th in my new AG.

Paul

Even without the issues, that is still a good time - well done!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good job.  Don't know if I'll ever do the new course so of course I'll be nostalgic about the old course.  Hoping to see you soon and we should grab a meal together!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me