Masters Running

It's SATURDAY!! 7-30-16 (Read 34 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  Hold on...I'll be right back...okay...I just wanted to go back and see if somebody else was starting the daily at the same time.

So...my chiropractor, who has been treating my hamstring, said that I could try to run a little today.  I had to promise that I would only go out 1/2 mile, turn around and, if everything feels okay, turn around and do it again.   Just 2 miles but, it's a start.  I will be honest--I am very nervous.  If this thing is still hurting after 3 weeks...I don't know what I will do.

Okay--gotta go--I'll let you know how it turns out.  See ya!

Mike E

MM #5615

That was the most nerve wracking 2 miles of my life!  But I made it!  There was no pain in the hamstring at all.  I never pushed it and I'm still going to be very gentle with it...but I just ran 2 miles without searing pain in my left hamstring for the first time in 3 weeks!

Oh...happy birthday, Jeanne!

I've been absent a few days.  fatozzig, congrats on the 72 miles.  evan, belated happy birthday to your son.  Mike, glad to hear about the pain free two miles.

I did 5 miles Wed and 5 more this morning on the TM as it was raining.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

evanflein

Whew! Good news on the ok re-entry run, Mike! Nice and easy as you build up.

Happy Birthday, Jlynne! I hope you get to go spoil those GS of yours, and that you get a little spoiled too!

Tom, I might do a treadmill run today too, we'll see. We're having lots of rain and everything is so muddy.

Holly, DS is discharged on September 12. He's planning on being home that day if possible, but the 13th if not. I just need to know what morning to take off! His car is on a ship heading our way, he's still in Thailand for a few more days.

Rain, rain, rain, rain, rain. Enough already! If I run outside I'll have to drive somewhere to do it. I'm not running through mud like on our road without it being a race or something. Looks like a good day to get caught up on filing and other house-stuff I don't do when it's nice outside.

I hope Tet is having good weather in Juneau for the Frank Maier Marathon. I need to get down there to do that one sometime, if only to meet up with Tet again!

New skirt in town

Hooray for the no-pain run, Mike!  You are a model of restraint, keeping it to 2 miles.   I could learn a lot from that!

18.2 miles today.  It started off at a comfortable 63F, but finished at 81F.  I felt pretty warm at the end of it, but I had myself convinced that it was just because, well, 18.2 miles.  I was surprised to read the thermometer and realize just how warm it had gotten!

(Oh, and I took a break midway through and caught a few Pokemon)

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya, really good news Mike.  Stay the course.

That was my Alaska marathon, E.  Just heard an NPR story on how the Mendenhall Glacier is shrinking🙁.  DH and I loved Juneau.  Fascinating climate.

Well Robin, you bested me in miles today as I was happy to stop at 18 even.  That's because I had more degrees.  86 when I finished, weather channel claiming it felt like 95.  It makes me stronger, I tell myself, while giving thanks for Lakes Park, where there is some shade and cold bubblers.

DH's car was dead at the airport parking lot, so he's still moseying his way home after begging a jump.  I understand heat is harder on batteries than cold (??I used to have plug mine in when I lived in MN).  Talk amongst yourselves, science/engineering peeps.

Good evenings to you all, and a most happy bday weekend to our most lovely Jlynne.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

18, 18.2, in 80 degrees--still well beyond my ability.  (and desire)  Very nice to both!

Cold diminishes the capacity of batteries, but doesn't damage them.  in fact you can store them in the freezer to prolong their life.  Heat will shorten the useable life.

Great restraint, Mike.  Wasn't sure you had it in you.    Now see if you can keep it going.

With a certain BB team on the left coast, I'm suffering a bit of withdrawal.  Slightly earlier game tonight, but I still have to get up early for a run before too much heat.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

18 in heat is impressive as is Mike's 2 mile hold back run.

I did 6.3 at Cougar Mtn.  It was perfect temperatures, 60F with a breeze.  Much nicer than the 85F plus we've been having.  I had to walk a few times when my knee was acting stupid, otherwise the run felt great.  Then later in the day, my feet were just killing me.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike,

Good news on the injury and the discipline to wait it out.

Toms and Erika,

treadmill ?  Uggggh

Robin and Amy,

18's in the heat are tough. Who am I kidding 18's are just plane hard no matter the weather. I can't wait to get back there myself though.

great runs !!!!

I got 3.5 in the rain today. I had a friend come into town yesterday and I stayed up to late and drank to many beers for much more than that.

Well worth it though catching up . I did manage some time off so we are heading to the woods on Monday.

I think I need 7 and some change to hit 100 for the month so that should be no problem for tomorrow's run. I hope to get to 120 in August in my build up back to my 40 miles a week base I like to be at.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

evanflein

Fear not, Larry, I managed a good 10k outside in the rain and wind. Bleh, headwind all the way. 6.2 miles at a good GA pace, legs feeling much better. No worse the wear for the implant procedure yesterday. All good (except for the weather).

Nice 18 milers, Robin and Amy! Heat like that is just draining, so good work getting those miles in. Robin, long time no see, what are you training for?

We've got more rain tomorrow, and more next week. The half marathon next Saturday is in the flood control project, so I wonder if we'll have a re-routed course like a few years ago. I'm looking at next week's weather trying to find a time to go berry picking, but it's not looking real good. The afternoons I have available (no meetings) are those with rain in the forecast. The days I'm busy, of course look pretty nice! Not enjoying this weather pattern....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Frank Maier Marathon (7/30/2016) - 6:20Tight lippedx
                        yippeeeeeee
                        It was only a week ago but I”m still in euphoria for being able to swim one-half mile after eleven years of 1/4 milers in annual triathlons starting in 1978. However, with this year’s only marathon to date registering 8:15:36.6 last month, there wasn’t any thought of improving on the last year’s 6:37 that had made me ecstatic by lowering 2014's 6:38 even though only by one minute.
                        Therefore, I got up early for the 5am remedial start with 16 marathon maniac superstars and multiple 50-staters most of whom were signed up for today’s marathon and then the annual BearFest Marathon in Wrangel to the south tomorrow. Six of us who ended up pretty much together walking in 3:22 to the half way Outer Point Hill past the out-and-back views of Mendenhall Glacier from miles 11-13.1 / 13.1-15.2) had over 3,000 lifetime marathons (1,724, 792, etc. down to my measly 201 that took more years to accumulate than all of them took for theirs).
                        Somehow, the friendly banter recounting highlights of their thousands of marathon encounters had me feeling pretty good at the top of Outer Point Hill at 13.1 miles, carrying me back down to the glacier views with enough momentum to negative spit the whole thing by 22 minutes a 6:20, some seventeen minutes better than last year. No wonder I love running so much.
                        ps - the fishing afterwards was pretty good too.
                        pps amy - a massive jokulhlaup flood of glacial melt from inside the glacier bursting forth when the retaining ice dam melted too, coupled with torrential rains earlier in the week had the lake level up by record 12 feet when I went down there Friday morning with DD, closing the Mendenhall Lake campground, Nugget Falls hiking trail, Skater’s Cabin Road, all commercial river rafting and kayaking, etc.
                        Fortunately, it had cleared up by Saturday morning with only faint sprinkles at the 5am start and none thereafter but it’s always scary for locals to invite friends here in the summer when, as happed my uncle’s fishing trip in June a couple of years ago, it rained all 30 days of the month. Local residents hardly noticed but he sure did, as would anyone running a marathon. Fortunately, it still pretty rare in the summer with most days a mixture of both.

Moreover, except for the great Fairbanks flood of 1967, it is ever rarer to be raining more in Fairbanks than anywhere in the Southeast rain belt. Was last year more than 1967?
                        Starr - you’ve got an early start and, with effective meds already identified that might otherwise take up to a year or more to figure out, I hope DH continues to keep getting better.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)