Masters Running

Advice on heated gloves or mittens (Read 34 times)

King of PhotoShop

Do any of you use any kind of artificially heated gloves or mittens for running in the cold, e.g., battery operated?  As I've gotten older, my hands can't take the long runs in the cold.  I would appreciate your suggestions and recommendations on products you have used and would steer me to.  Thanks.  Spareribs

Some of the cold weather folks who run longer distances might have better advice, but I usually keep a nice supply of hand warmers around and stick one in each glove. I've used them at football games and they'll last 3 hours and more. Must be one of the issues of aging Ribs. I'm having problems with Raynaud (spelling?)'s and each year it gets worse.

Good luck, or should I say I hope your weather warms up

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Although this post sounds very grop-like, I’ve always been impressed with certain thoughtful people who carry extra hand warmers for goddesses and others in distress in the sometimes, if not always, inclement Seattle Marathons <<<(that would be divechief).  However, if figiting and fighting with temperature controls, tiny off/on buttons, uneven heating elements, dead batteries, etc. of heated gloves/mittens is on par with the battery socks that came out in my skiing days, I would think a couple of the more proven handwarmers  would be worth trying.

Nevertheless, same as for tights, if heated gloves are ever necessary, I’d take it as a sign from above that, when the spirit grows weak and the body grows numb, when these things beset us, it’s best not to run.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

I use the Hot Hands warmers as well, usually tucking them in the tips of running mittens so that I can curl my fingers away from them if I begin to get too warm, but they keep the mittens nicely warmed.  They say they will go for 8 hours, but I have never tested it.  Divechief gave me the tip that, when you are done with a run, put them in a ziplock bag, carefully pushing all the air out, and they will stop heating.  You can then use them the next day.  I have gotten 3 runs out of them this way.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

My hands get cold very easily, and in the depths of winter, that is what I worry about the most. Mittens always do a better job of keeping hands warm than gloves. Saucony makes a very good pair of light weight mittens that are nylon on the outside to help buffer winds, and have a bit of a fleece-like lining to help hold in the heat from your hands. When the temps drop into the low 20s or lower, I pull out my Manzilla heavy-duty "wind stopper" mittens. In extreme conditions, I'll add some Hot Hands inside the mittens, but I really don't like them - they can get too hot. So if I am going to use Hot Hands, I'll wear some light-weight gloves inside the mittens, and put the Hot Hands between the glove and mitten.

I've never used a battery-powered heater, and don't think I'd be interested in adding another electronic gizmo to my attire, regardless of the weather.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...ribbs///.........PolarFleece makes a skiing mitten that will work to about 10-degrees............very chep and works well

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

All great advice here and much what I do---hand warmers in my mittens or glittens (glove-mittens)

http://www.heatfactory.com/heated-glove.html   I got a pair of heat factory brand last year for xmas. My hands were warm at hockey games as well as on long runs.

lamerunner

I have never tried heated gloves for running; even at below zero, fleece gloves or mittens are enough for me; my hands get cold, but if I overdo the gloves, they will sweat and then I have to take thegloves off, making me cold again. I have used temporary hand warmers for skiing and working ski races, and I have put them in my pack for winter hikes.