Masters Running

Fridaily, 12.6.19 (Read 41 times)

Joe- I'm sorry you have some family issues over the outrage quotient.  It is a real issue nowadays. I've shared before that I've had relationships damaged over the last couple of years over those issues and it isn't getting better.  I'm particularly opposed to the outrage over outdated information about views of someone in a corporation/restaurant/store etc management and all the social media posts blasting you if you dare to eat at XXXX or shop at XXXX because they hate gays or women or whatever.    If you have personal views about that and don't choose to patronize a particular place, that's fine, but the inaccurate information on social media and the attempts to boycott places that many workers rely upon for their salaries and benefits is just ridiculous. 

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, I was up pre-J'o'clock and was able to get in 3.5 miles before teaching the 5:15 spin class.  Both decent workouts.  Then off to work.  Gave my "Leadership Moment" presentation (we rotate that around).  It was about not being afraid to innovate...and more importantly allow your subordinates to.  I used as a vehicle what the US Army went through in Normandy France after D-Day; the fighting through hedgerow country.  Overall it went pretty well.

So the whole Peloton thing....first of all, I'm not a hater.  I think it's an interesting concept but for me at this point I don't see the gain being worth the cost.  So when the commercial in question first came out....I rolled my eyes.  But I rolled my eyes because I don't understand the desire to take selfies, video blog, Instagram etc.  But that's a me thing.  No biggie.  So when I heard the ad was being called sexist....I was amused; and not surprised.

As an aside, I don't know the name of it but there is a different (and I guess competing) system which is more like a massive multi-player online game.  Your road bike is attached to an indoor trainer, and the indoor trainer is connected to your computer.  When you go to ride (I think) you go online and ride with other indoor riders.  Apparently you can put in courses (the resistance of the trainer is adjusted by the computer as you climb/descend) and race or just ride with others.  Sounds like the technology costs would drop over time with this product....don't think that will be the case with Peloton.

Drill weekend, and I'll be short several officers.  Plus I'll be chairing a "Deserving Airman Commissioning Board" (gives enlisted airmen an opportunity to come to the dark side--and become a 2Lt) so I'll be busy.

Have a greta night everyone!

Sounds like a good presentation, falcon!     That bike program is called Zwift.  My kids and husband use it (well, Ken wants a subscription for Christmas.).  It is really excellent- and not that expensive.

The Franklin TN tree lighting tonight was a little bit of a problem.  I greatly underestimated the number of people who would go to that.  I mean- I knew it was popular, but who knew the entire state of Tennessee would be there!  We parked a long ways away (after traffic like getting to a NFL game) and walked.  Our wonderful quaint Main Street was wall to wall people.  This is a family event , and strollers have become the size of small cars.  When did that happen?  Anyway, there was also an art crawl going on.  We couldn’t get near any restaurants- and we were hungry. We gave that up until after the lighting of the tree.  At one point I got very claustrophobic.  We saw the tree light up and then hoofed it back to the car and went to a brew pub for dinner and a beer.  That place had a good crowd but we got a table right away.  I told Ken “Apparently people actually leave their houses.”      so- our Friday night out is over.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

TammyinGP

By the time I was getting ready to leave work it was pouring rain so I didn't feel like running in the cold rain. So I came home and put up and decorated my artificial pre lit tree. My husband was sure he was going to hate it and called it my plastic tree made in China. Haha. But once I got it up and fluffed and decorated he said it actually looks quite nice. I held back the "I told you so" comment. Lol.

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

he said it actually looks quite nice. I held back the "I told you so" comment. Lol.

Sounds like you both gave each other a nice, early Christmas present.  It doesn't get much better.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Ultrarunning magazine came today. Calendar was a disappointment. No, I don’t want 6 pictures of men and 6 pictures of women, that’s stupid; I don’t want equal lottery spots neither, but when my 13-year old daughter looks through the calendar and says:”Wow, ultrarunning doesn’t look like a sport for girls. There is not a single picture of a woman running alone and looking strong”, well, that’s something.

I know a few ultra runners. This is disappointing. A lady I've meet went into labor after crossing the finish line in a 50 miler in Wellston Michigan.

A heated gown with a belt!!! I need this for driving a forklift in the winter.

Holly/Steve - honestly, I can't imagine giving practical household items such as vacuum cleaner, shock absorbers, etc. that would be purchased anyway being used instead as presents for Christmas, birthdays, anniversaries, Valentine's or anything else.  I know that, like my father and grandfathers, I'd have never gotten away with it.  Sure glad they didn't try. Smile

For any special occasion, I'll gift a person a nice picture of me. Who can have too many of those?

HopesMom, sorry to hear about your migraine and DH's finger.

Great pics of Dunkin in yesterday's thread. Thanks Steve. How's Dunkin recall doing? 

There's a lot of room for improvement.Like me, he gets an idea in his head and he's off. Twice in the last week, I've turned my head to put the key in the lock and he took off.

Greta restraint on the "I Told You So".

And if any of you men are feeling inclined to purchase jewelry, but your DW's won't be impressed, message me.  I'll give you my address.  I promise to be VERY impressed.

I've picked up a few things that were tough to afford at the time and DW won't wear it because she's afraid of loosing the stuff.

Leslie, Gotta love the butt progress.

The Dr says I have arthritis. I'll take her word for it. She also agrees to keep me as a patient, so she may not have good judgement.

BTY, Hokey Smokes! How can your brain work like that after your workouts?

Hi Joe...Bye Joe...

KSA, we may hire your plaintiff.

Future Two Cat is not nearly as kewl as the present day Two Cat. What is going have happened to you man?

Dnaff, love the happy dance.

Interesting weekend on tap Falconfixer.

One of the reasons I stress about days off is what I come back to. There's a few high end items that we'd save labor dollars if the dude who fills in for me would have unloaded right into a dumpster and we reordered. I called it at 9.25 hours as my shoulder was aching well. I can't take the meds and expect to stay awake.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

So the whole Peloton thing....first of all, I'm not a hater.  I think it's an interesting concept but for me at this point I don't see the gain being worth the cost.  So when the commercial in question first came out....I rolled my eyes.  But I rolled my eyes because I don't understand the desire to take selfies, video blog, Instagram etc. 

I agree on both counts.  First of all, I just don't have the time or energy for outrage.  I have opinions, of course, but not really outrage about anything.  Secondly, that was exactly my take on the commercial, how stupid and self-absorbed the whole need for selfie's, video blog, etc, and about an exercise bike - like, who cares?

I think the haters are sort of comparing to, say, when a man has an overweight wife and gets her a fitness membership for Christmas, but people who really work out know that getting someone a Peloton bike is not the same at all.  This is someone who WANTS the bike, someone who is already working out.  That is more like, if my DH got me a new pair of running shoes for Christmas, which would be totally welcome and not at all making the statement, "Honey, you need to lose some weight."

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."