Masters Running

Friday 16 February 2024 When Black Friday comes... (Read 36 times)

BTY

I just got back from the YMCA a little while ago, in time to meet the carpenter who is doing a nice job with the framing and trim around the stairway in the garage.   It isn't what we envisioned three years ago, but it's much more practical for a couple who wants to age in place and now has a first grandchild.  DW will be home tomorrow evening when he comes back to finish up.  Pray that she likes it at least as much as I do.  I told her we can pay him to take it apart and redo it if she really isn't pleased with it.   He's building it just like she showed him she wants it, but she was having second thoughts.

I swam my shortest workout in the past 52 weeks, according to my log.  Just 1,150 yards.   The main set was going to be a 400 yard freestyle but I went out too fast, especially for an easy day, and decided to just do a 200 and call it a day.   The main set turned out to be the 4 x 25-yard almost sprints that were designed to be the pre-set before the relatively harder stuff.

I believe I'm going to re-establish mileage goals for 2024 since I'm falling way off of pace for the 366-mile goal.   But at the time I put them together, I didn't take into consideration the time and energy  toll that the 15-minute strength training workouts would take.  (DOH!)

I did the 4 "pull" movements to a 10-2 cadence today and again picked good weights to start with.  Row, pull down, rear deltoid on the chest fly machine, and curls on a machine.   On rotary movements (the curl and rear-delt are single joint, rotary movements, and the row and pull down are multiple joint, compound movements), it's sometimes hard to find a speed of movement where you can make it take 10 seconds to complete the positive ("lifting") portion, but that wasn't a problem today.   I applied a 33% reduction across the board to all of the exercises I previously had been using with the more standard speed of movement.  Again, like yesterday, it was work, but I don't expect to be particularly sore tomorrow.

lamerunner2

Where is Holly? What is happening in Jamaica?

my glute has started acting up on the weak side, plus icy conditions here, so I have not been running much. More Peloton and yoga or hiking.

Good to see everyone!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - is the increasing sea level encroachment going to create more wetland or is it blocked from further inland intrusion and will just cover up the wetlands you have to be lost by just making it deeper?

Today's project was to calculate the property tax impact in the 3 towns surrounding our estuary if a percentage of the residential properties will be lost at projected levels of sea level rise in the next 25 years. In our town, in each of 6 different scenarios, the projected annual tax loss ranged from over $1million to over $8million. Then I went for a windy walk of about 1.5 miles. 

"Excuse me, but I'd appreciate being able to finish so that what I am saying is clear and won't be misconstrued." 

. . . as sometimes seems to happen"

I'm sure she'll be providing plenty of chances. 

Dave - take it easy, . . . in everything. One of these days you'll have to so might as well start practicing.

BYT - and I thought your training and competitions were as exemplary as they come but this is a magnitude further.  Very nice. You have a very lucky family and extendeds too. Us too.

I told her we can pay him to take it apart and redo it if she really isn't pleased with it. 

Temps down into the thirties this morning foretold an splendid sunny February day but no more as increasing clouds will keep us up in the overnight forties and afternoon fifties with off-and-on, if that, showers. Just like I like winter now that it's not all about skiing anymore.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Hey friends - had an unexpected full day with th grand girls today!! Their mother kept them home from school for kind of a lame reason which worked to my advantage. She even dropped them

off at my house in the morning!! It was a fun day but exhausting with their energy and my mother being here!!

The girls have been constantly competing for who gets the last kiss or hug or says I love you as they are leaving and it’s getting distressing!! The one who doesn’t feel she was last starts sobbing . They tried counting and doing it simultaneously but then one will sneak in an extra I love you. Their mom said it’s getting out of hand - they do it to all family members. Any suggestions?? It makes the end of the visit very stressful.

45 minute PZ endurance ride, 10 min cool-down ride, 30 minutes upper body strength before the girls arrived this morning.

Enke - sorry for the work dilemma

Dave - glad nothing is broken

KSA - hope Ken had a nice bday

denise

SteveP

Dave59 - Thank goodness things weren't worse.

Rochrunner - That's awful about the friend with long Covid.

The girls have been constantly competing for who gets the last kiss or hug or says I love you as they are leaving and it’s getting distressing!! The one who doesn’t feel she was last starts sobbing . They tried counting and doing it simultaneously but then one will sneak in an extra I love you. Their mom said it’s getting out of hand - they do it to all family members. Any suggestions?? It makes the end of the visit very stressful.

Spin the bottle.  Whoever the bottle picks gets the next goodbye until there is only one left.

I got 3.2 miles in and the various at home PT things in.

SteveP