Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 12.28.17 (Read 42 times)

bioguy

Hey Metal- you are looking pretty hardcore in that photo.

My Dad went pretty deaf in his mid 80's. He always had trouble with his hearing aides and he became somewhat isolated as a result. I'm wishing I hadn't done the loud music in my college days so often.

My wife has caught whatever I had. I went to school today to clean up my lab and do a little organizing. Still have exams to grade. Got out for 4 miles this afternoon; cold, but not as bad as many folks are getting it. I did try out these little handwarmer packs my son gave me for Christmas. Usually my hands get so cold I have trouble getting a key in a lock or tying a shoe when I finish running. These little things were awfully nice.

Tailwinds!

10.2 @ 8:18

sorry to mention it, but it was around 70 in my neighborhood today. sorry.

Sewer emergency postponed my trip to OR to see Mom, but there is good luck hidden inside the bad luck; had it occurred after I was 500 miles away it would have been a huge event. My usual balloon cleaner on the end of the hose didn't do it this time, so I rented the 100' power drain auger and ran the whole line all the way into the City Main line in the street. $60 and an hour of my time vs $800 and waiting 2-3 days for a plumber to show up = no hard decision at all. But I was also able to get another 10 toward the weekly tally.

twocat; I like thrifting, I just don't like to spend hours in each store. I found some $250/each Baccarat scotch glasses for 99 cents each not too long ago, but I was only in there 10 minutes when I did. That's also where I get my Goretex NorthFace/Patagonia/Marmot/etc jackets...for $10-20. So you can see why I go back.

metalman, that's cooking for the low temps! Is the surface slick, or have you been able to find bare ground?

Jay, 1700 is great!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, cold here today (for us) as well.  4+ miles in the pre-dawn cold but was glad I did it.  Temps didn't pick up too much, but the wind did!  Seemed colder walking back to my car after work than it did coming in.  Our first group of deployers made it back fine.  We'll "re-integrate" them tomorrow and send them out on their leave.  The traditional reservists will then head back to their civilian jobs and my full time reservists (sounds oxymoronic, I know) will also return.

C-R and Twocat, close!  I'm an aircraft/munitions maintenance officer.  9 years active duty (2Lt-Capt), two years out of the military, then 14 years as a traditional reservist, 2 as an "IMA" (individual mobilization augmentee) and wrapping up my first two years as an Air Reserve Technician (full-time reservist).  Almost all of it in aircraft maintenance.  Typically, younger active duty members spend 3 to 5 years at a stateside base but not always....command billets are typically 2 years, special assignments will vary.  Overseas tours depend on where and whether your family is with you.  The reserves have different rules.  And I agree that it's a good thing your DD found out now....and that she's able to be with y'all.

Curious, does anyone have a Vivoactive 3?  Considering getting one.

Have a great night everyone!

pfriese

KSA CHEVY ELECTRIC - is it a Bolt now?  
          Our charcoal grey 2013 Chevy Volt purchased second hand a year-and-a-half ago is the first car I’ve had since high school days that I really, really, really like, . . yep, I love it almost as much as twocat likes to cook, . . . enough to be happy to wash, . . .  even more than once-a-week sometimes.  Though the new ones like yours charge for up to 200 and more miles, our 38-45 miler in the summer drops to 35-or-so miles for most of the mild winter here in the PNW but is only getting 25-26 miles now that temps are dipping down to freezing at night.  Doesn’t matter though as there’s nowhere we go that’s more than 10-12 miles away but definitely not so great for someone with longer distance daily commutes and vacation plans. Maybe we top off the fuel tank once every two-or-three months whenever the gas gauge gets down to three-quarters or so. Love it, love it, love it.
          ps - except for “charge times will vary with outside temperature” and to keep the battery warm when it’s below freezing outside, the 300+ page Owner manual is silent on miles-per-charge, etc.  Maybe they don't want us to know the batteries gradually die down over the years. Not sure if it does any good but we keep a warm quilt in the front seat to avoid having to waste electricity on heating, etc. Besides, the seats have the electric warming DW likes. Not me.  Of course, she likes the hot water washings and hot seats of Japanese commodes too.    

Hey tet.... I'm a fellow Volt owner, too. Black 2013. Absolutely love it. Like you, I think it is the best car I've ever owned.  It does eat the battery when it's cold outside. I get about 30 miles per charge in cold weather, about 38 miles per charge in hot weather, and almost 50 miles per charge when no climate control is on. I bought the car new and have 57,000 miles on it.

KSA, I hope the Bolt works out for y'all as well as the Volt worked out for us.

Things finally getting back to normal after the holidays. I started Hanson's marathon training plan last week for Boston. Already a bit behind in it so only 6 easy miles today.

Paul

Thanks for the ketchups Jay and TwoCat!!

Wish I could be more wordy, but am just so frustrated with Justin's illness and the mental health system. He has been so agitated and verbally abusive yet they may have to release him tomorrow. Don't know where he can go but it's not here. I actually hope something happens overnight or tomorrow morning that make them realize he needs a commitment hearing.

2.2 miles on the treadmill tonight to release some frustration, then 20 minutes on the stair master again.

denise

evanflein

Sorry to hear that Justin isn't getting better, Deez. It's a very tough situation, they can mask or cover to get released, but they really still need treatment.

We have a lot of Priuses around here, but don't see many Volts/Bolts. Don't think they'd get very far here, maybe?

C-R, sorry to hear about your DD's situation but yes, better to find out now and glad she has family and friends to support her.

Twocat, I had other things I needed to take care of, and I needed to water my plants anyway. I have a lot of plants in the office.... Go back to work on Wednesday and already have three meetings scheduled for that first day, so good to take care of some things ahead of time. Done in 3 hours though.

No run today for me. My hip is bothering me, feels like bursitis. Probably from all the squatting, stooping, kneeling and such yesterday. Figured a day off would be a good idea. It was cold too, -13 on the way home (that's temp, not wind chill) and we'll be around -20 tonight and into tomorrow, then warming up on Saturday a bit. So, URD today, will run a bit tomorrow depending on how the hip feels.

The news tonight said today's record low was -62°F, so at least it's not that bad!

wildchild

Carolyn

Deez, sorry to hear Justin's still not doing well - sending hugs your way.

Do they make electric cars with 4WD?

We decided to get DD some snow tires for a Christmas gift, because she hasn't gotten around to it, and because she almost got stuck in our driveway when she was here.  (She drives my old Subaru Forester.)  She and DSIL are in Buffalo this weekend for a wedding, so we're switching out her tires while she's gone.  I went down to town to pick up a set of tires from a Craigslist ad today, and took the opportunity to run at a State Park that I haven't been to before.  It's called Barr Lake State Park, and it's also a wildlife refuge.  I ran 6 miles around the lake, and saw about 1000 Canada Geese and several dozen white tailed deer.  Very different from my mountain trails - and very flat!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Quickadder

Ran late evening which was the warmest part of the day today, reaching 40F. Long sleeved shirt over a short sleeved shirt was plenty warm enough. 7 miles at 8:52 pace, which is my HMP.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47