Masters Running

Friday, April 18.....(Boston in the air) (Read 489 times)

King of PhotoShop

Great opportunity and reporting coverage CNY. Thanks for telling us about it. Mari, good luck on Sunday to you, Tet, Dave, Arf, JJJ and whoever else is running something other than Boston. dg, I leave Dallas on Monday and work the 22nd and 23rd (Shakespeare's birthday) in Livonia, flying home the afternoon of the 23rd. If you want to get together for a run on the 22nd, or dinner, write me at: spareribs823 at gmail dot com. 4.4 slow miles for me. I am working packet pickup for our club's race tomorrow, "the Hound Dog Hustle." This is one of our club's biggest races and we give all the money to dog rescue groups. My volunteer work at this race is the source of much hilarity among the members given my feeling about dogs. Tomorrow I work race day registration. The race is a one-mile fun run, untimed and unscored, where dogs and owners run together, followed by a timed and scored 5K sans dogs. The one-miler is far and away the bigger event and the start is always a riot as many people fall down after tripping on dogs and leashes. Many animal shelter and rescue groups attend the race and set up booths, etc. It is a big money maker and something your club should consider if you are looking for a great marketing idea. We are also very vocal about where the money goes too. Spareribs
    dg.

Gordon, when is that? you keep posting these nice zippy runs in your trademark understated manner. Wink Perch, a special good luck to you, after watching you work your way back.... I'm so happy you're good to go!! SR, that might work. I'll let you know.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

gordon, if it's the Skagit Flats Marathon in September, you're gunna be like a supersonic jet. keep up your wise training, . . (unless you want to do the May 100K with Francesca and me. http://www.skagitflatsmarathon.com/

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

dg.

my yoga dvd lady told me "good job!", & I just got an e-mail that says I can have explosive speed..... life is good. Big grin
          Teresadfp

One day at a time

That's so cool, CNY! What a wonderful opportunity. I'd never heard her story before I saw the movie. My running partner and I ran 4.2 miles in the same beautiful weather that mainerunnah described. I think we brought back the warm temps from Texas! Our route included a hill that took us 13 minutes to run up. About halfway up it, a young slip of a girl motored passed us and quickly disappeared from our view. I have to keep telling myself that I'm just trying to improve my own running! After our run, we went to the Y class that we've missed for a few weeks. Lots of pushups, ballwork, lat pulls, etc. Whew, I'm pooped! Save travel, everyone, and have a wonderful time in Boston!
              Good Thursday Everyone... Dromedary: I don't do beer either, but I will eat cake! I am doing the 5k at Lomita. Is your husband interested in doing the 5k? Have a great day everyone. Bruce
              Hi Bruce, great news! Hubby said OK to doing the Lomita 5K. I'm gonna do the 10K so we both look forward to meeting you Smile JJJ, you're gonna do GREAT at the Promise Land 50K! You're already a "maniac" in my eyes Wink Spareribs, hope you have lots of fun with the Hound Dog Hustle! Teresadfp, I liked your post about the girl zooming up hill because I can relate. I always see people zipping past me. One hill on my way to Malaga Cove is a 250 foot climb in 1/4 miles...and this one lady just soars past me and glides over the rocky side of the road! I have been trying to catch up to her for 2 years now but it's not meant to be Sad (I'm not a glider, just a dromedary). Still, I am proud to be able to run up the hill and keep my lungs working. Rest Day for me. My personal trainer kicked my behind really good yesterday (backs of legs and glutes are sore). I'm hungry enough today to eat like a maniac: Rest day is today Cookies potato chips and fries Burn it off next run And to ALL THOSE FOLKS going to that city on the East Coast: Boston bound boomers Running faster than the wind Line up, let us cheer Big grin
              TammyinGP

I'm so glad that I work in a laid back office and my boss knows that I plop myself on the couch in our break room and am glued to the TV during the Boston Marathon. I usually sit there with a file or two on my lap, so I at least have the appearance of doing something work related . . . although he's no dummy and knows I'm watching the telly Tongue Good luck and safe running to all our Master Boston Marathoners! Vista opened up the daily with wonderful words, as always! My plan was to run 4 today and 15 tomorrow, but still having some issues with my lower tibia, so I'm thinking a hard elliptical workout might be in my best interests today. have a good day all and safe travels to those making their way to Boston!!

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #3309

Just a quick good luck to all racing in Boston....be safe and HAVE FUN Smile Hey, I felt my first earthquake ever at 5:41 this morning in Indiana....scared the dickens out of me Shocked Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Hi Everyone! Vista, great opening. Best of luck to the other weekend runners - dive, arf, mari, tet & jjj ? Mari - i will be camping at Lake Wenatchee sometime this summer. Glad the pollen won't be an issue with the precipitation forcast. I was in the Seattle area during the Nisqually quake in 2001? Scared the crap out of me. All the dresser drawers slid open, dishes fell inside the cupboards. I opened the door of the condo to see giant waves in the pool. Ferns outside were rocking back and forth as if a huge wind had just passed through. I have yet to run today. Little miss is still sick with a fever (4th day!) and now has a rash under and around her earlobes to show for it. Clearly a strong virus and there is nothing to do but wait it out. So for me a date with TM tonight, planning on 9 with 6 at tempo. I feel a bit carpy still, lingering cold and a low grade fever yesterday so it may turn into an easy run tonight. I was thinking on my run two days ago about how I don't want to lose any of the fitness I've gained from these 2 1/4 years of running. Is this how one becomes a slave to the sport? I also wonder if I train properly and avoid injury if I will ever be good enough to BQ. I'm thinking that with a lot of luck, in 6 years when I turn 50 - that might be my earliest shot at a BQ. With all the Boston excitement going on, I am beginning to understand this BQ obsession of others. Good runs & resting eveyone!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, a lot of pre-Boston excitement, even for those of us who aren't going! Safe travels and happy running to all of you. No run yet today for me, but I'll post yesterday afternoon's 11 mile run. Its my longest run ever (second to a 10.6 mile run last spring). I needed the stress relief, and blew off returning to work after a 2 pm doctor visit to go run on one of my favorite dirt trails in Boulder. I ran the first 7 at a 10:00 pace, then stopped at my car for an orange and some water. The last 4 miles was slower, about an 11:00 pace, but I felt fine, just a bit tired. IRC, 47 degrees and partly sunny. The run was along South Boulder Creek, and the trees are just starting to leaf out - beatiful day! The stress relief worked too - I slept like a rock last night. Or maybe that had something to do with not sleeping much the night before last...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

23rd (Shakespeare's birthday)
                        Thanks for the reminder. I meet with my Shakespeare Club kids again on Wednesday, so I'll be getting cake! It'll be a great way to celebrate their abbreviated performance of A Midsummer Night's Dream last week as we prep for the second show - this one for the parents. Shocked Today's Runners World quote of the day seems especially appropriate: Big me run, and I will strive with things impossible - Julius Ceasar Run well, all. Smile Eliz off to the beach!!

flomotioncoaching.com

Teresadfp

One day at a time

"Big me run" - I like it! Wink
                            Hey, I felt my first earthquake ever at 5:41 this morning in Indiana....scared the dickens out of me Shocked Tim
                            So that's where the earthquakes are ....SLOJim and I were just wondering here in So. Cal, "Hey, there hasn't been an earthquake out here lately....." Wink Seriously, if you aren't used to 'em they are scarier than paying taxes. I haven't slept through the night since we had our big 1994 Northridge quake. Any movement or sound wakes me up. I hope you don't have aftershocks out there, Tim, but be careful.

GreenMan

.... Rest Day for me. My personal trainer kicked my behind really good yesterday (backs of legs and glutes are sore). I'm hungry enough today to eat like a maniac: Rest day is today Cookies potato chips and fries Burn it off next run .....
                              You just need some ice cream to go with those fries and chips. Smile Thanks you guys and gals for all the support, the race is actually a week from Sat. Yes Tet that is the same Promise Land. I developed an arrival time allowance for each aid station, which makes me less nervous. jjj
                              Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                              TammyinGP

Opted for a 30 min elliptical workout, then finished it off with 100 walking lunges with a kickback on each one. Stopped in at my docs office and I'm going back on Tuesday for some more evaluation on the leg issue.

Tammy