Masters Running

Friday, 2.10.17 (Read 37 times)

evanflein

Wait a sec -- are you calling all of us out for being a bunch of old geezers?  

Why yes, I think she did! But she was also self-identifying. The only reason I'm looking forward to turning 60 is being able to retire. The way I run into these "cascade failures" in the injury department these days is bad enough. It seems like just a few years ago I felt indestructible most of the time, and recovered quickly from hard workouts. Not so much these days.

And Jlynne, maybe a few days of no running and just stretching the calf/foot will help. At least I'm hoping so.

Holly, yep, there must be ovaries all over the place from all the running going on these days.  Dave... 

Hey Leslie! I think I ran across that bridge! It was the "She Rocks The Trails" 50k, and after you cross that bridge, the trail takes a right turn up into the woods, and then an insanely steep section to get up to a plain. Looks like they don't do the 50k anymore. I got second the year I did it, in 2013, surprised the hell out of me. I just remember it was extremely hot... but that river was beautiful, sure didn't look like that!

A gorgeous sunny day here. A perfect day for ... <wait for it>... 36 minutes of pool running! Wow. Challenged myself to try to keep track of the laps. I think I did 10, maybe 11, starting at the deep end and going till I could barely touch bottom, then back. Thrilling. Maybe I'll try something adventurous tomorrow and use the elliptical.

Lamerunner, my hair is short enough I just get the ends wet, and then I smell chlorine all afternoon. That's bad enough.

Mike E

MM #5615

Umm...what's an ovary?

Well, the interview went okay.  The job that I actually applied for was already filled but they called me in because something might be happening in 2 to 6 weeks and they wanted to see if I would a person who could take care of what it is that might be happening.  It kind of sounds like somebody might be leaving...or something.  Because of my salary expectations,  I think its a longshot but it sure is fun to have some hope for a little while.

I have been working 10 hours every day this week, so it didn't bother me at all when I "snuck out" after only 8 1/2 to go to my interview, today.  But who should come into our shop, right then?  Yep, the owner. I just went over and told him that I was going to be at a grandkid's basketball tournament all day tomorrow (which I am) so I wouldn't be able to come in, but assure him that I had everything set up for the guys to have plenty of work.  He talked about 5 more minutes and I left without ever having to lie to him about where I was going.

I ran 6 miles.  It was 42O!

Okay--gotta go!  See ya!

By the way--I really appreciate everybody's concern--it really means a lot to me.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

What a difference a day from yesterday's deluge makes.

Now broken clouds with no rain.  47o /

Some remnant puddles along the way where engineers

forgot to cant the bike path but none of yesterday's raging

rivulets deep enough for salmon to swim up if it was the fall

spawning season, washes and splashings from passing cyclists, etc.'

I've never complained about the rain anad never will

but I could get used to this dry stuff.

ps - fortunately, nothing like the American River though.

Hope the bridge survives.

I think Marj, Henry, Roch and Tselbs and Tet will back me up: 

ps - edited to give credit where

it's more-and-more due.

Fortunately, running old age didn't strike

until I was 68. Unfortunately, I'm now 73. . .

Further, fortunately for me, .. but unfortunately

for everyone around me, I'm still pretending

to be fending off mental old age, . . . . I think.

ps mikeE-- I hope you didn't have to give them the proposal yet.

Good luck on it, . . . and good job on the explaining.

However, it it's anything like the rest of us,

good thing he wasn't as smart as Debbie

probably is for some of your explanations.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59  shh do not let anyone know I laughed at your joke!

Mike E I sure hope they come through with that other job offer for you.

fatozzig what a picture!   Amazing that we can build things that will stand up to that kind of pressure.

My DW and I looked at this morning's weather forecast for Sunday and both agreed that the odds of them postponing this Sunday's 20k race were pretty good. Taking that bet, I did an hour on the elliptical and planned to do my long run (16 miles this week) on Saturday. To quote the A-Team you have got to love it when a plan comes together! A few hours later we received emails saying the 20k race was postponed a week!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Swimming laps is fine though, kind of meditative.

For me, too.

Leslie - that is quite the rushing river.

MikeE - you live in a big enough city that I would think there are more options than just that one job, so please, keep looking.

Twocat - that chili recipe had at least four ingredients that I had never heard of and have no idea where to find.  Do you have to send away for those peppers and odd ingredients, or do you just have amazing supermarkets near you?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."