Masters Running

Sunday runs and fun (Read 355 times)

fussy, that sounds like a tough, hilly, 10K.  Good job.  mariposai, it's good to have you back after a great trip.

Nice long runs for fatozzig, Tramps, WRFB, jlynne, dg, holly, lynden, and fatozzig (another).

This morning, it was about 40°, calm, and foggy.  I got in 6 miles in about 58:40 for a 9:47 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Tramps nice 20 miler!

WRFB great day for a 14 miler up here.  Hope the weather was as nice in your part of the NE.

fussyrunner come up here to CT for the local Boston Buildup series this winter if you need yet more races with really big hills!  Anyway better to walk up some than crash and burn later.  I bet, given the hills, your time was not so slow.

Jlynne enjoy today's weather!  Perfect here in CT!  I suspect some bad weather news will be coming soon . . . 

Mariposai it was wonderful to meet you and your DH too.  See my post in the daily the day after our dinner.  I bet you are happy to be home.  Oh, about that Appalachian Trail you probably only have another 2000 or so miles to go!

hallar good luck with race training.

Holly S. let me see whecels came off . . . mile 12 . . . hmm, hard to see how that could happen?  Hey, 12 miles is a loooong way!

lyndenrunner pretty long run for somebody claiming not to be running much lately!  Maybe you are sleep running? 

fatozzig I see you have developed special night vision!  Able to see lit roads even when dark!  Wow!  How?

tselbs sounds like kind of a muggy run day in your local.  Good pace though for your run.

My DW went off for a 7 mile run but cut it short.  I think she pulled a thigh muscle and it has been bothering her.  Still working on getting her to commit to the half marathon in Miami in January.  So far she seems like she is still on track.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

jlynne - good to hear Will is eating well, and may be discharged soon.

As for beer, I have a brown in the fermenter now (brewed last weekend), plan to brew a boh pilsner next weekend, and keg the brown, then the following weekend an english pale ale (a staple around here).  I have to fill the taps for the holidays, ok? Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

I have to fill the taps for the holidays, ok? Smile

I think I'm a long lost cousin on your mother's side. Got extra room for another relative for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas?  Love the pale ale! 

Twocat - Yes, I, too, am amazed at my phenomenal night vision . . . or I can chalk it up to the brain being elsewhere.

Francesca - Yep, I'm gonna start using potatoes.  Those and bananas have worked really well for me in races.  Makes one wonder why I don't use them in training (okay, makes me wonder).

WRFB - My DH loves you and he doesn't even know you.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

dg.

Sarge, how was DW's road run?

Byll, how is your right leg?

Jeanne, how cool that you got to feed him!!  (doubt that that's an unclear pronoun reference ;-) )   Hoping for good results from those tests!    Nice run.  and... of course it's the shoes. 

Tramps, I covet your run.    Happy taper!

Lou, I hope it's the BP meds.   

Perch, anytime.  My knee is your knee. I babied both knee & quad today,   hope it helped.   (I did shorter strides for you too).    I wonder if we could do a rotation?  PDR could get in there too... that way we could run normally 2 out of 3 times. 

-)

(working through today's thread...) I agree, it's time for you to really run normally.  Hope you can get through Richmond with no further damage. 

Leslie, I wondered the same thing.  :-).    happy you were sproinky.

lot's more to catch up on ... but that includes sleep.  So that's about it except for the tedious run details that OCD requires.     absolutely IRC, except for some wind toward the end.  12.13, as I said already.  9:57 average pace, 8:07 max.  on a downhill, no doubt.   miles 10:50, 9:49, 10:01, 9:54, 9:48, 9:48, 9:52, 9:48, 9:51, 9:52, 10:02, 9:52.

Knee was bugging me off & on, but I was careful & it survived.  Right upper inner quad is still an issue, it's funny because that didn't start until after the marthon.  Form tweaking did help, but was hard to maintain.

an 18 week marathon plan should start a week from Monday.  I haven't been quite sure what to do with myself until then, & haven't settled on a plan yet.   Any suggestions?

SteveP,    I'll find some pictures.   Sadie says thanks for asking.  Smile

SteveP

I wanna race at David Crockett State Park!!!

I've been looking for Little Will updates, then going back to read the other posts.

(((((Little Will)))))

Man, Hallar, with you and Gardon posting, things seem normal around here.

Leslie, when I stop to admire a pair of calves, DW takes a swing at me.

DW has been out of town on a girl's weekend. The dog and I have had to exist on ice cream and bacon. One trick I've learned is to put cooked bacon in a single egg beater and use the highest setting. Most of the grease flings right off of the bacon. The kewl thing is, Tag licks the grease off of the cupboards and I don't have to dust. Flippin' Sweet. Now if he'd put the dishes away after he cleans them.....

After getting ready for Church, I grabbed running gear. The dog went nuts! All the clothes are in the same pile. How can he tell the work out garb? Maybe if I did laundry....

We're driving down a dirt road in a State park Camp Ground and Tag's got his head out the window. There was a tan and white commotion and I thought the dog jumped out. A hawk had come up to the side of the truck. Maybe it thought the dog's head was tasty, then changed it's mind when it saw the whole Tag??

Anyway, we did 3.75 miles of loops. The running store suggested a wrap for my AT. What a difference. Two sproinky runs in two days!

After the run, Tag wandered into the lake. Got waist deep, then laid down in the water with only his head showing. I threw a stick and he swam three strokes twards it. Then decided he didn't want it. I didn't want it either.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika and Holly - The total cals/carbs break down to approx 236/42 per hour.  For the trail running we do, it's been recommended to try to take in just about 260 cal per hour.  I burned about 2200 cal. 

Was that recommended for you, personally?  Or just a standard number, the same for everyone, men and women alike?  I've only done one trail race, the 50k last summer, which took me about 5 and a half hours.  I had oatmeal and a banana about 2 hours before the race, and maybe 500 calories or so during the run (most of 4 gels, some gatorade and fruit).  That seemed like enough for me.  Over that I would have gotten nauseated, I think.  My stomach doesn't take well to food while running, especially in heat.  Perhaps the boiled potatoes with salt, as Francesca suggests, might go down more easily.  Probably better than the gels, actually, which I have to really choke down.  But I didn't feel like I was undernourished for that run.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I am assuming this is for most distance sports, but I'm always thinking in terms of trail running, and about 260 calories an hour is what the body can easily digest.

AND after talking with my coach a little while ago for about half an hour and going over the figures, I was miscalculating my hourly calorie intake by about almost 100 calories.    I was taking the total calories and dividing it over the 5 hours and not taking into account what I was actually taking in each hour.  And I even had the calories written on my baggies!  . . . . math was never a good subject for me.

Re gels - Ugh!  I've tried them twice and it took everything I had to not puke my cookies whilst trying to gag them down.  I'll stick with solid foods.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hi Nancy-----Hey everyone.....(Erika) I made it to taper time. 23.5 miles yesterday with 16 at MP, which was 7:42 for my ave pace. Then 10 easy miles today which was un-timed and felt greta.......sore, but good. Whew, am I ready for taper after a PR 80 plus mile week. I also did something very goofy today on my run. On tired legs my knees sometimes rub together, which I know is a lack of form I know. With about 1 mile from home I tripped myself up and did a face plant......I wish I could blame a crack - tree root, or something. Nope.....clear trail. I simple tripped over my own feet and messed up my right elbow - shoulder - and skinned up my right knee. But I feel just fine really, and the only thing that hurts is my pride.......yes, there were others looking at me fall for NO apparent reason, Lol----TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

wildchild

Carolyn

Nice long runs for Tramps, Lou, Jeanne, Deb, Leslie, Francesca, and Gordon!  MTA - and Tim!  Wow, a 33.5 mile weekend! 

Helen, congrats on the 10K yesterday.  Times will always be slower on a hilly course - but they're fun anyway! I love runs in state parks.

Welcome home, Mari!  Where's that RR?

SteveP, my dogs always recognize running clothes too, and I was wondering how they know, but then DD  pointed out that she and my DH can always tell when I'm going running, so why should it be hard for the dogs to figure out?

Re: the running and nutrition discussion:  I've taken gels during races and training runs, and I can get them down OK but they are kinda gaggy.  I prefer energy bars, but haven't tried them in races because I'm not sure how I'd carry them. ( I pin gels to my shorts, but I can't quite picture pinning an energy bar...)  But I like them during long training runs. Especially anything chocolate. 

I had a great run today, but wished I'd started earlier so I could have gone further before it got dark.  Only time for 5.4 miles with the doggies.  Started at 39° and it was down to 34° when I got home. My hands were in my sleeves for the last couple of miles.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Tim - You're soooo close to that marathon.  Cripes, don't break anything!

Wildchild - You guys have snow, or did it all melt?  Re carrying food, I use sandwich baggies, even in races.  In races, I usually drape it over the belt of my waist pack, part of the food on one side, part on the other, for convenience sake instead of having to get into my pouch all the time.  It bounces around, but it doesn't usually bother m

And I've taken a liking to Clif Mojo bars, especially the Mountain Mix.  Yum!!

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Leslie, the snow at home hasn't melted, but at least the roads are pretty clear - just muddy and icy in a couple of spots.  The local mountain trails are another story - prolly not runnable till spring. At least the trails down in the flatlands are still OK, and will be off and on during the winter too. One of the things I appreciate about living and working in two distinct climates.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.