Masters Running

Thursday Rock and Roll Day (Read 521 times)

Holly, I hope I am wrong but I've got the distinct feeling your MS track is like mine. Only .22 mile around once. Still you are doing great workouts. See if you can find a HS track to sneak into....you look about 17 right? Rest day. That little 4.25 mile run yesterday wiped me out. Will run again tomorrow.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

"Rock and Roll Day!" - sent a momentary panic like I thought it was time for the Rock & Roll marathon and I just slept through the last 5 wks . . . like that nightmare you have as a college student that you show up for class in finals day and realize you haven't been there all quarter long. 3.75 miles last night. I ran only about 1/2 hr after eating dinner, so was not feeling good on this run, but got it done. 5 mi tonight, then I'll take a rest day before my 18 (gulp Shocked ) on Saturday!

Tammy

xor

I like the term 'race kit'. I envision a Revell or MPG plastic model of a muscle car. This is far preferred to the term 'race bib' which makes me feel like a sloppy baby. As for Topol, I unfortunately can't think of him w/o thinking of that "smoker's toothpaste" from the 70s. See a 1984 TV add for Topol here. Ok, somewhere between 11-15 easy miles scheduled for me today. Guess I'd better go do it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Spareribs – the rest interval was once around the track, or ¼ mile, at about a 9:50-ish pace (according to the Garmin). I called the high school and was told that neither of the local HS tracks were open to the public (protecting their expensive running surfaces), but that the middle school track was the one used by the cross-country team before the HS track was built. I assumed that meant that it’s regulation sized, until Enke threw that wrench in. (drat!) ETA - okay, I called and spoke to someone else in the athletic department and was told that the cindar track at the middle school is 400 yds. (Looks like you were right, Enke) Oh well, I knew those paces were too fast for me. I'll go and adjust my earlier post. Still, gives me a point of reference, and shows that the Garmin wasn't that far off after all, which I find comforting.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good luck to Tall, Byl, Tamster, and anybody else racing this weekend! An hour of core/strength this a.m. Was suppose to do 30 min of cycling, but I'm just too frigging tired with all the extra 2 to 3 hours of work I'm doing at home right now. Between that and what I think is early meno problem (Cripes - I'm only 43!), sleeping is an issue. Oh well - life goes on! The ankle is finally feeling normal after the shot. Won't know if it actually worked until I try running again Monday. And since I can't run, LOTS of yard work in my future this weekend. The Hub might go into shock when he sees the planting I have planned. Smile Later ~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Good Morning! ETA - I've been told the track is 400 yards, so I've adjusted the paces accordingly, and these numbers seem more realistic for me.
              Still speedy and pretty consistent Holly and very solid work...keep this up and I will stick my fingers in my ears and sing LA! LA! LA! when you say you don't have speed.Tongue Nicely done MTA: Any area colleges or is UD the closest? I know you can run on their track, but that would be a drive and you have a time squeeze already. The Middle School option is not a bad one.
              Slo

Holly Extremely....and I really mean Extremely nice running ! When are you doing a 5k again ? Your going to blow thier doors off ! And while I do agree about the stretching......I'm very guilty of not.
                Can I quote myself......obviously so.... Even with the new information, the above still applies.
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

DH and I have been staying up half the night (to 3 or 4 am) the last several nights, trying to meet a project deadline. He got the boys up on time this morning and let me sleep. Then DD11 came in at 8:45 and said, "Mom! Nobody woke me up!" So DH took her to school about an hour late. I SO wanted to just sleep, but I dragged myself out of bed and went to my boot camp. I managed to get in 1.1 miles during it, so my streak is now at 11 days. It is a HOT day in Maine - 89 degrees right now!!! What the heck. And of course, DS16 has a meet his afternoon. Poor kid, last week there were 30 mph winds, and this week there's record high temps. It's really a roller coaster with these kids. Last night, DS got lots of schools awards (high honor roll, Silver Award for Latin II national exam, Bronze Award for Spanish IV national exam, and Dartmouth Book Award). Then I checked his SAT scores, which were released this morning, and he did pretty poorly. It makes me so mad that it's SO HARD for kids to get into good colleges these days. Even good runners need incredible stats to get into top schools. Oh, well, I need to stop obssessing - everything will turn out OK. He could go to our local community college and probably do great. Maybe I should go take a nap - I'm so grumpy! Dead

Marathon Maniac #957

Karin – I think that UD may be the closest college track, but I’ll check around. Slo_Hand – I won’t be doing any 5ks until I sometime after the Seattle R&R (6/27). I’ll see what’s offered around here toward the middle of July. ETA - {{{Teresa}}}

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Maybe I should go take a nap - I'm so grumpy! Dead
                      Hang in there Teresa. Are any of the schools he's looking at SAT optional? More and more are these days. http://www.fairtest.org/university/optional There is a lengthy list in this article with a key at the end of the list for how optional they mean. Bowdoin College is on here and they were among the first to go SAT/ACT optional and have a decent Div. III running program. Is he a rising senior? Maybe he can take them again? I hope you can get some sleep.
                      Slo

Oh, well, I need to stop obssessing - everything will turn out OK. He could go to our local community college and probably do great.
                        Hang in there Teresa. One time I had my own business. A small Control System Integrator......thats another story and another life but I can certainly relate to your deadline anxiety ! BUT.....wanted I wanted to ring in on was the college thing. I'm graduating my 1st this year......Sunday actually......she's very intelligent but not studious. She has had a tremendous year. She was Band Majorette and will be leading the band in Hawaii in just a few weeks Shocked. The whole college thing, the fiscal thing, yadda, yadda yadda....oh boy. She did extremely well on her "pre-SAT" only to totally get the date wrong for the real test and completely missed it ! In short, she'll be starting at the Community College. It pains me a little because she is musically gifted and there is no music program. But......it's damn tough to make a living as a muscian. I'm just hoping she keeps it in her life. I think we have a solid plan for her. It's very affordable, if she buckles down she's still eligable for grants and scholarships and she is going into nurseing so she'll have income potential after her 1st 2 years. Now with DS we're a little more educated and we're getting started much sooner with him. I wish you guys the best and just like I had to be reminded......It's the parenting, not the sheepskin.
                        Mariposai

Glad to see that tall decided to go ahead with his racing. Good luck to you. Have fun Byll...... relax them shoulders and hands, take deep breaths at every water stop and smile at the volunteers. Off to the big city for a few days. Work meeting tomorrow, but I will spend a few days with DS1 before returning to the woods. I will be off line till then. go racers gooooo!!!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Teres, What Karin said. I have two in college and one sophomore in hs. We were fortunate that the first two got into the college of their choice. I worry about DS2. His grades aren't as stellar as his siblings and he isn't the best test taker. But he is smart. Here in Virginia they have a 2 plus 2 policy. Folks can attend community college for 2 years (get an associate's degree?) and then, if they maintain a certain GPA, they are guaranteed admission to the state colleges. I think this is a very good deal because the community colleges are a lot less expensive. Some folks think kids that go this route are "missing" something. But I don't. Don't worry. With as much cred. as your DS has, he will get into a good school. (We are going to visit Maine this summer, you're on the way to Bath, right?)

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

I'm about to head out to the woods road, and very excited, because for the first time, my DH is coming with me. My first plan was to make this a long run/walk, but do my C25K during the first part. Now I'm not sure, but it will be fun to have him with me, and I will adjust my plan if need be. He use to run, but has had some foot problems in the past few years. He is very strong, though, and works out at the gym regularly. I also plan to experiment in accordance with advice from Ribs, and during the walking, use many shorter and faster steps for speed, rather than trying to stretch out. Also will try to keep my arms at 90% during the walk parts, not just during the run parts, although sometimes it feels good to just let my arms down. Best of luck to all the racers this weekend! Smile Woods Lady
                              munchkn883

Finally got in a 5 mile walk today without pain. This is the first time I've been able to walk since last Thursday. I woke up in the wee hours on Friday morning in so much pain I couldn't walk, sit up, stand up or even dress myself. Started taking my oxycodone and pretty much took at least one or two every 4-5 hours until Sunday afternoon. It never really stopped the pain, just kept the edge off. Have a stronger pain medicine now and sure do hope I don't have to use it. That had to be the worst pain I have ever felt.