Masters Running

Thursday, August 12 Runs and stuff...... (Read 551 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning Masters!!

Another very froggy morning out there.    Boy, what a difference new batteries make in the headlamp too!!   Had it been a clear morning, I could have seen where I was going.    We just took it easy and I thought about bumping my planned 4 up to 5, but happy that I stuck to my plan.    Even Brinkley was dragging (a bit) by the time we got home.   10:47 / 10:32 / 10:04 / 10:06 - 159 avg. HR     We saw one guy walking which freaked me out a little, so we sped it up a bit (mile 3).    Other than that, we only had to go after the road cone again.

Aamos - I'm still giggling about your dream.   Big grin

Enke - how's your knee feeling today?

Hi TwoCat!!!

Happy Thursday!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

BlazinCajun

Good morning,

Mary - what an interesting run. Do you live in the sticks? Good job sticking to your plan.

Congratulations Craineum on your new job - loved the announcement.

First week in Phase I of a modified Jack Daniels' marathon Plan A. This will probably be my last week running less than 40 miles for a while. I have 18 weeks until the Kiawah Island marathon and have divided the different phases of the plan below. I'm spending more time in Phase I than Phase II because I have been hitting the speed work pretty hard the last couple of months. My maximum weekly mileage is a constrained 60 miles/week.

Phase I: 4-weeks

Phase II: 2-weeks

Phase III: 6-weeks

Phase IV: 6-weeks

Today I ran for 50 easy minutes.

Have a great day.

Andrew
      ------------------
      God, my Lord, is my strength;
      he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
      and enables me to go upon the heights.
      Hb 3:19

Mornin' Mary and Blazin. Nice foggy run for Mary and 50 minutes for Blazin. What is the 'Modified Jack Daniels marathon Plan A"? Could you tell us more about that? If I'm able to run Twin Cities in October, I'm looking for any training plan that has been "modified" enough to let me finish!

Hi Twocat!!!!!! Drop in more often, okay? We miss you.

Enke - that picture tells the tale of a warrior runner. You can see the scar just about the current blood site from your last adventure. Hope you're not too sore today.

Tom W -  Hope you're keeping a journal so you can tell Pickles all about your adventures with fire marshals and Hoover reps when she gets back.

Happy belated anniversary Karin!

Fog as thick as pea soup here this morning and already 74° at 4:30. Decided another day of cross training was in order. 7 miles on the eliptical followed with lunges, adductor/abductor, leg press and various other machines. Now off for day 2 of kids coming in for books, schedules and picture ID's.

Hope everyone's pets keep their tails today.

BlazinCajun

In Dr. Jack Daniels' book, "Daniels' Running Formula, there is a tool that basically helps you determine where your emphasis needs to be. The plan is 24 weeks and you determine how many weeks you have until your marathon and your weeks per phase are counted. He suggests using all six weeks in phase III and IV and you adjust accordingly. If you think you need more time in phase I then he suggests moving weeks from phase II. Your mileage is also determined my how many maximum miles you feel you have time for in a week.

Andrew
          ------------------

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Yep Blazin' - we live in the sticks alright!!  Big grin      Everytime I read about a Jack Daniel's plan I can't help but wonder if cocktails are involved!!  

Nice cross training JLynne.   It is suppose to cool down over the weekend - let's hope!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

I'd like to know what a "a constrained 60 miles/week" is?

5 easy miles at 9:40 pace.  Just putting the miles in easy to recover from yesterday's big workout.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

BlazinCajun

I'd like to know what a "a constrained 60 miles/week" is?

Bill

Bill, the plan is adjustable according to you max miles/week. When I determined my max miles I considered family time, activities, meetings, and work. For me I think 60 miles/week works well into my schedule. I refer to the 60 miles as constrained because I'd like to run more.

Andrew
                ------------------

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

I'm with Mary... when I think of Jack Daniels, I think of that scene from Two and a Half Men where Alan comes into where Charlie was working out on a treadmill and takes a swig out of Charlie's water botttle and goes spit, spit, " that's whiskey!"  I guess Charlie follows the Jack Daniels training plan too 

A bit muggy, 76° with dewpoint 73° (95% humidity).
                  8.2 miles in 1:20:15 (9:47 pace). I tried one of those gel cooling head bands. Didn't really work in the high humidity. It just swelled further with warm sweat! But I did feel cooler when I took it off at mile 6.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Blazin - sounds like a good plan.  Stick to it, and wonderful things will happen.

As for me, no formal plan this summer, other than alternating running and spinning. I've been running 3 to 4 times each week, and almost every run has been 10+ miles.  No speed work (ankles can't take it).  But the endurance is getting there, as indicated by last weekend's 25 miler.

Yesterday - lots of driving (440 miles).  Today - lifting, followed by an 11 miler.  No meteor shower visible (too much cloud cover), but I did see a fox cross the road.  I've been using Spare's hill technique, saying "turnover" as I shorten my stride but increase the pace.  It really works!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

But I did feel cooler when I took it off at mile 6.

Is that relief along the lines of "It feels good when I stop banging my head on the wall"?

Great miles, PBJ.  Who needs speed?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

0.7 jogging miles for me this morning.  3 total miles covered if you add in the walking.

I did some "spinning" last night.  I was outside with my granddaughter (2.5 yrs) and I would hold her wrists and spin around and around until we both couldn't stand up.  Oh my, was I getting sick there at the end, but it's so much fun to watch her stumble all over the yard like a drunken college kid.

We were outside waiting for the rain to arrive.  I told her I wanted to get wet.  She told me that she was going to get an umbrella, which she did, but she spent more time standing on it (with it upside down) and using the handle as a microphone to sing songs.  Mostly "Mary had a little lamb." 

So we both got soaking wet and came inside to the confused stares of my wife and daughter.  It's fun to be 2.

Marathon Maniac #957

Perch – that video is so funny!  I noticed the Garmin charging on the desk, too....

Erika – salmon burgers?

Dave59 -

8.75 miles for me in 76° and 100%, with miles 3-6 at (8:48, 8:38, 8:32, 8:42).  I took a lesson from Enke and took my shirt off and threaded it through the back of my bra strap for most of my run.  Lunges, squats, bench step-ups afterward.

It should be about 92° (again) for tonight’s soccer practice with DD’s team.  I haven’t the heart to make them work very hard at all at these practices when I’m dripping sweat just standing there with a whistle.  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

enke, that's one rough looking knee.  Dave, congrats on the .7 mi jog.  Also, great fun with your granddaughter (Annabelle?).

Nice long run evan.

This morning, it was the normal: 70°, calm, and humid.  I got in 4 miles at a 10:22 pace.

Now it's off to see if I can get a U-Haul trailer with my daughter's "stuff" to her new home in Peoria.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

8.2 miles in 1:20:15 (9:47 pace). I tried one of those gel cooling head bands. Didn't really work in the high humidity. It just swelled further with warm sweat! But I did feel cooler when I took it off at mile 6.

My DW bought those for me a few years ago.   Found they didn't work after a mile or two especially in high humidity.  So now they sit on shelf.

Out for easy  5+ miles this morning in low 70F temps and high humidity.  After yesterday's run at 98F and high humidity it felt great.  Pity the rain started after I finished.  I was soaked anyway at end of run but it would have been nice to run in rain too!

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

...jlynne//.........keeping a journal would count as EVIDENCE...............don't think so.......

............Easy does it dave//............just don't force it........

=========

..........20min streetrun......90's.......folding cane, knee brace, hip-flexor wrap.

I count cars when I think I look like An Idiot ....

..apparently if less than 6-carfuls of people see me, it's not as Dumb Looking.

4-cars today.

and, yes, I  have counted a lot of cars over the years.

.......................good running guys....................Wishing you Less than 6-Cars........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....