Masters Running

Mondaily, 8.6.18 (Read 42 times)

Henrun

As far as opioids go the pendulum has swung too far, Pain tolerance is mostly subjective and everyone’s tolerance is different. There is a need for strong pain relief but, on a limited basis combined with other methods to assist pain relief, especially post surgery. When I had my knee replacement I was on Vicodin for the first two days after surgery. I was given a script for more Vicodin when I was discharged. Fortunately I have a fairly high pain tolerance, so I discarded the script and used Tylenol for a time which worked quite well.

Rest day today- but shortwalks before and after the high temps.

Marathon Maniac #957

Regarding prescription opioids, we need to be really careful about how difficult we make it for doctors to prescribe them. The doctor that conducted the biopsy on my tongue last year waaaay under prescribed pain killers for me post surgery. I was in unbelievable agony.

Well, yes, on that note, when my dental implant failed in January (meaning the bone in my jaw broke where the implant was, the implant had to be removed and bone grafting done), I was in agony for almost three weeks, and received 48 hours of pain meds, followed by one prescription of Tylenol 3.  My once/day Vicodin 325 couldn't even make a dent in the late-afternoon/evening pain.  However, I have had other dental work (including root canals and implants) that was easily managed with ibuprofen.  For some reason this particular implant is located near a big nerve or something.  But there is a big difference in a injury-specific prescription and a longterm daily prescription, at least mentally for me.

Speaking of which, I am going back to the oral surgeon on that same implant next week to see if there is enough bone to do the new implant or if more needs to be added.  I sure hope it is less painful this time around, but then, there is a difference between bone breaking and being drilled.

5.4 miles today in 72 predawn degrees that felt quite lovely.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Hey all. Yesterday was pretty busy in here.

Not much to add to the conversation. Just wishing and praying for the best for everyone in here.

DD was accepted into her program at the new college. Summer school went well. Cautiously optimistic. Not if she would stop wrecking my cars.

6.2 at lunch today. Nice and easy.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I took a vacation day and went to a cross country coaches' clinic.  Just about everything that could go wrong at work went wrong.  I don't even want to face it all, tomorrow.

After the clinic, I stopped by the hospital to check on my dad.  After making huge progress the last couple of days, I walked in to see him delusional and extremely irritated.  "Unfortunately", I couldn't stay long because I had a chiropractor appointment.  I put "unfortunately" in quotes because I, really, couldn't stay a second longer in there with him, today.  I feel bad about that...he, probably, needed me more, today, than the last couple of days.  I'll see him, tomorrow.

After my appointment, I went to the track and did 5x1000's w/400 recoveries between each.  That, plus warmup and cool down, gave me a total of 8.1 miles.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Congrats to your daughter, Norm.  Fingers crossed for much success!

Mike- I’m sorry it wasn’t a good day for your father.  Some of it might be just being in the hospital.  It can cause a lot of disorientation.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

7.2 @ 8:04

I gotta average 7.2 per day this week, so I thought I'd start off by staying even.

Spunky: congrats on reduced butt pain!

Henrun: you're absolutely correct on varying degrees of pain tolerance. And it's different type of pain tolerance, too. I often don't notice when I've been gashed with a protruding screw or nail until someone points out the blood running down my arm or neck, but an ingrown hair after shaving makes me flinch when it's just lightly touched!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mariposai

Today was my rest day but I wanted to give mariposai hugs to all.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

Jay, you must be a fantastic host.

Holly, I hope you know you are pretty amazing. it takes a lot of strength to recognize a problem and then step up and step out to deal with it. I have every confidence you’ll be fine, but then still need to work on lack-of-sleep issues. 

+1

Poor Sleepy Floyd!  Hopefully the zapping doesn't infringe up in his ability to produce as extensive family.

I think mamma cow's eye lit up like a pinball machine.

Anzlo, 11 miles is better than zero miles. At least you've gotten out there.

(((((MikeE))))) You're a rock solid person.

Of course I had headaches when I went back to work after a week off.

Last Feb I had a week off to visit Dad. It turned into two weeks because of his health. When I got back, our HR person said I would not be paid for the 2nd week because I didn't give the standard month notice.That took three months and a new manager to fix before she admitted that she made a mistake. This time Dad was kind enough to give a two week notice. All three managers OK'd the time off. I spent time in the HR office and hammered out the paperwork. (I doubt I could perform as well with what she has on her plate).

Monday comes around and I addressed the first headache. It's one GM tried to get me to resolve while I was on vacation. I didn't answer calls or e-mails. Our HR comes in and said she made another mistake and I wasn't getting paid for Thursday and Friday. I needed to come to her office when I had time. I stopped what I was doing and reminded her that I sat in her office and we discussed this in length. That I had trusted her (because I had to). "Well, come see me when you get caught up".  I told her that the extent that I get caught up depends 100% on how this conversation goes. It took less than three minutes before she indicated it was her mistake again and she would write the time in as if I punched the clock.

I left on time, stopped and ordered a new muffler then got home. The humidity was 22 percentage points lower than I had been and I took Taggy out for a short run. 1/4 mile into it I had thought I made a mistake as he was running out of steam. I slowed down and he picked up the pace. He jumped right in when we got to the creek and he got a 2nd wind. He paced me for 3/4 of a mile, then he took right off and beat me to the truck. That made my day and we celebrated with ice cream. Two miles in the books.

Dad called. SIL is driving him back to Florida. They stopped in Kentucky and Dad lost his wallet. SIL called his bank and credit card companies. I hope that the person who finds it does the right thing.

SteveP