Masters Running

Saturday 13 March Runs, etc. (Read 405 times)

Slo - sounds like you need to put your feet up

deez - congrats!

twocat, you could have made the muffins anyway!

wildchild, nice sounding trail run.  I need to get my trail shoes out soon.  I'm convinced the trail runs and races I did two years ago strengthened my legs a lot and made me faster, without having to pump iron at a gym.

Holly, at least you have the experience of an injury.  It seems like it is hard to know when to hold back until you've been through one.  I didn't realize you were going to Boston again this year - cool.

I did 8 miles in sunny, blustery, 48F.  The first 4 miles were hilly and I ran the hills strong, then the next 4 miles were flat and I was tired from the first hilly section.  I must have worn myself out because my pace was ironically the same for both halves of the run.  8 miles sure seems long to me still.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

had a great run today. 5 mile race + Laura and I ran another 10.2 after that, for a total of 15.2 miles today, 2:21:50 and I still felt strong even during that last mile. The warm sunshine must have been just what I needed to put the energy in my legs. Either that or it was the beer I had last night. I rarely drink, so having a whole beer was quite a bit for me.

Tammy

amazing how different the weather is for all these great runs today

tammy - awesome long run

george - hope that tendonitis heals quickly

holly - definitely listen to your body - you are so smart that way - you're going to have a great Boston -- i can picture which hotel you and erika will be at ........ so annoyed i'm working both friday and sat. nights of boston weekend but i will work really hard to get the sat. night off ..........would  love to pick you guys up and hang out!

sue - that's an amazing treadmill run - way to get it done!!

hope all our wet runners are dried out and cozy by now

i just couldnt face the chill, wind and rain after working 40 hours in 3 nights so off to the gym for me

6.5 miles on the treadmill in 62:20

oh i saw Bob/mainerunnah's name on the list of registrants for beach to beacon so he made it in today too!!

have a wonderful sat. night friends!!

denise

Mariposai

Sue, great run on the dreadmill. Enjoy your dinner tonight!!

Kimmie, great 20 miler today with that 8 mile pace towards the end. I would have puked big time if I try to hit that pace after 19 miles of hard running.

It seems like deez4boys and mainrunner will be hanging out together at Beach to Beacon. I looked at the marathon course; it looks like a fun one.

Carolyn, ouch...be careful with that ankle. Great 6 miler.

Enkie, I is so good to see you running 8 miles!!!! I had the same blistery day here as well. It was 45F when I left for my run. The wind on my bear legs sure felt good.

Tammmiskirtalina, that is one fast 16 miler for you today. Did timbo ever registered for Newport?

twocat, those baby bananas are wonderful, aren't they. Back home we have them in our yard, they are to die for when they are tree ripe. I hope your DW was able to hop on the dreadmill today since running outside was impossible.

I wanna be in Boston when Erika, Holly and deez4boys are together!!!! It sounds like a lot of fun.

Breakfast in bed Saturday for my wings. Menu today was simple but delicious: bagels, hardboiled egg, blueberries and a cup of lime yogurt. Then, around 10 I went out for a long run, but I wish I could have stayed home to work in the garden. The weather was just lovely.

16 miles as a warm up then 4 miles at MP in 3:25:00. I ran this today with a slight different approach I normally take for a 20 miler. 5x4mile segments with each segment run a little faster than the prior one and the last 4 miles at MP (9:00ish). I knew the last 4 miles was going to be tough, and it was, but I am glad I finished it. I have been very tired after this run. I am going to take it easy in the next couple of days.
          Once I got back home my DH was waiting for me for a walk as a cool dawn. So 3 miles of walking on top of the 20 was a very nice way to waste a gorgeous and sunny Saturday.

Tonight is my last date with my little girlfriends before they move away. We are going to the symphony to see their mommy play the oboe for the last time for the orchestra. Wear a spring dress said the mother queen, so spring dress I have in mind to wear

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Enke - 8 miles is great.  And yes, running hilly trails will definitely strengthen your legs.

Holly - Hope the slow and easy 20 tomorrow treat you good.

Carolyn - Ouch!  RICE that ankle, and hopefully everything will be fine.

Nancy - Very nice run to you, little lady.  Enjoy the symphony!

Twocats - Next time, you can go ahead and make those muffins and send them to me.  I'll even pay for the overnight shipment!

Deez - What a slacker.  "40 hours in 3 nights" and you couldn't face cold, windy, rainy conditions?  Whateva . . .

My run went really well today.  I (almost) ran a marathon!  Was suppose to do 26, but we called it quits at 25.5 'cause I was a bit nauseated and, let's face it, we were tired of climbing, and I was tired, period.  I'm pooped, pooped, pooped, but things were so much better than last weekend.  I kept my nutrition up, and having someone else there for those 16 trail miles really helped.  I did take in too much toward the end (the reason for the nausea), but that included too much on the fluids.  I plucked a new 26 oz bottle of Amino at about 18 miles, and by about 21 I'd drank almost the whole thing.  Not good.  One of those usually lasts me about 8 miles.  I didn't realize how much I'd taken in, I compared mine to Karen's, and was like, "Whoops!"  But I was thirsty!  Since we were almost done and neither of us was sure if I'd eaten too much or too little, I downed a Boost to see what would happen.  Within about 5-10 minutes - Ugh!  Okee dokee.  We got our answer!  Now I can't stop eating.

I think what helped is I ate real food out there - chicken noodle soup and turkey/avo sandwich.  The soup got cold real fast (had it in a hand-held) and looked totally disgusting, but it tasted good.  Karen couldn't watch me eat it.  Said it reminded her of a time when one of her kids got the poops from bad fish sticks. 

So now I need to keep eating and moving. Unfortunately, I also have a ton of transcription to do.  Boo hoo!

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

Twocats - Next time, you can go ahead and make those muffins and send them to me.  I'll even pay for the overnight shipment!

same here. I would pay the shipment plus tips

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

same here. I would pay the shipment plus tips

Not fair tryin' to one up me, there, Miss Butterfly wings.   . . . Um . . . Twocats, you ship me muffins, I'll ship you some Larrupin' Mustard Dill Sauce.  Ah, heaven on a bagel with cream cheese, tomato, red onion, carrots, and smoked salmon.  Frigging YUM!!

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

evanflein

I haven't read up on the daily since I last posted, but wanted to get this up before I get distracted by the evening stuff we've got going on.

My run today was awesome! I haven't had a run that was this much fun in a long time. I love hills, especially downhills. But lately it seems hill work has aggravated my foot, and my legs need days to recover. But today, everything just clicked. I ran on the trail above my house, after DH dropped me off at the trailhead. The trail was in pretty good shape after the new snow we got last week, and the bikepath/snowmachine trail was better than I expected. The sun was brilliant and I remembered my sunglasses so had no problems with my eyes. Temps had warmed up to 20 at the top of the hill and maybe 13 or so at the coldest/lowest spot. 9.4 miles from the trail head to DH's office where he was waiting for me, 8:22 avg pace with the last two miles at "sort of" tempo pace of 8:09 m/m. This is a good Boston training run, check out the elevation....

ETA: Holly, take it easy. If you have to put it off till next week (which I bet you won't), you'll be on the same time schedule I am! My next 20 miler is next weekend, and then the last one 2 weeks after that giving me a two week taper, which is usually all I need. But I've got it on my plan to cut that last one to 18 if I want/need to.

Deez, that'd be a lot of fun!!

Nice 20 miler for Mariposai today! Always good when you can do the last 4 at a faster pace, good for you!

Leslie, wow that was quite a run for you. Glad it went well. You've been pretty beat up by your long runs lately, it's more than about time for you to have a good run!

Great run, Erika!  Nice profile there . . . if ya know what I mean. wink wink  nudge, nudge.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance