Masters Running

Wednesday Hump Day Dailies (Read 39 times)

evanflein

Good article, Stumpy. My DH and I were just talking about this earlier today when we heard about Matt Lauer. There's got to be a line between general human interaction, and sexual harassment and misconduct. Like Leslie, I think we've lost something as a society if we're afraid to give a genuine hug for fear someone thinks we're being inappropriate. That being said, where do some people (mostly men, but yes some women) think they can just do or say whatever they want and if someone takes offense, they say "hey, I was just joking" or "trying to be nice" or "don't be so sensitive!" so thereby dishing off the bad behavior to the victim. This goes beyond the "boys will be boys" and "it's just locker room talk" but that's all part of it too.

RunnerKSA, I certainly hope your day is going better and yes by all means, stop the nose spray! Just use saline spray which is beneficial and will help with the nosebleeds.

Leslie, sorry to hear about your trail running friend. Is this complications from something else like the flu? Pretty scary, really.

Tramps

Why men harass is a big, multifaceted issue. The article from Stumpy gets at some of it.  I'm a little surprised at the number of men I know who profess to "not realizing" this was so prevalent.  Haven't you been paying attention?

Why all the accusations are appearing now is another interesting question. It's a sign of the empowerment of women in the workplace--incomplete, of course, but encouraging.  Social media has been important in providing a venue for sharing and support; there's strength in numbers and companies are sensitive to public image. I even suspect the election played a role; we elected a self-avowed sexual harasser.  "When you're a star you can do it. You can do anything," he famously said.  Women now are saying, "No, you can't, even if you are a 'star'."  That's progress.

I hope the moment doesn't just pass with just a few high-profile individuals fired and nothing structural changed. Many organizations need systemic change in how they handle and respond to this issue. Both claims of harassment and claims of innocence need to be treated seriously; not an easy balance to reach. And we need to be ready for the backlash that will surely come the minute one of these claims is shown to be false, which it almost certainly will.

One of the more thoughtful pieces grappling with difficult issues, I thought.

ETA: One of my former colleagues bravely wrote this (originally on her blog) about what happened to her, leading to dozens of other women coming forward with similar stories.

Be safe. Be kind.

I deal with those kind of issues frequently since I'm the employment lawyer (among other duties) here at a Fortune 500 company.  One of my counterparts at another company had a female manager texting naked pictures of herself (NOT a pretty sight) to 2 male subordinates.  One of the guys reported it.  Her justification was, "I thought we could have a relationship!"

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

mrrun

Tramps and Stumpy - good articles and we've been talking about it also.  My concerns are for the women (and men) who can't go public, need their jobs, and will continue to have to deal with this on a daily basis - the health care workers, manufacturing, etc. those not working for high profile employers.

oh yes, biked today, but no running even though the weather was super.

metalmancpa

Hi All. I can't really explain why I haven't been here lately. The only excuse I can come up with is life.....I know, cliche, but it's too complicated even for me to grasp. I'm trying to roll with the tide, and priorities and use of time is fluid.

Enough of that, a quick recap of my recent running.....

Today - 6.01 @ 8:05/mile

Tue - 6.23 @ 8:16/mile

Mon - 6.25 @ 8:35/mile

Sun - 0 - I went to the Patriots/Dolphins game at Gillette, a short 8 miles from home.

Sat - 6.4 @ 8:27

Fri - 11.48 @ 8:31

I am loving my post marathon non-committal running. Shaving 2 miles off daily runs and upwards of 8 miles off long runs, it's such a relief. My entire 2017 was dedicated from the start for the marathon. That was the ONLY race that mattered this year, and I felt that way on Jan 1 2017. I logged in a lot of enjoyable miles. But now my "easy" training times have quickened noticeably to me. Most of the year easy was 8:55-9:15. Even today's run, other than the long hill in mile 5, was fairly easy for me. Edge of conversational at worse (except for that hill). I prefer running a little faster over distance, and have adjusted post marathon to training for my favorite distance. I always knew my favorite distance was the half marathon, what I consider my edge of insanity race distance. I still have no races that I've signed up for, nor do I have any plans to. The HM and 10K I ran late 2016 were both my PR's, but I had no desire to run them this year. The marathon and Spartan Sprint a week later was more than ample to end the year on (races).

And this incredible movement of woman against the habitual nature of men (in general). Not being a woman, I can only wonder how women have felt over the centuries about men. Something broke where women are somehow uniting in a forceful wave/push back against the history of man. It's a very strong message being sent, asking for men to adjust (in general). Plenty of good people out there, but plenty of bad ones too.

EDIT: Falcon - just read your story about your son. I cannot imagine how that must feel.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I was never ever able to sneak in here, today, so I had to skim through everything and I don't have a whole lot of tine but I just wanted to say how sorry I am for falconfixer.  I cannot imagine losing one of my kids.  I'm just very sorry.

I ran 6 miles, today.

Okay--that's it.  See ya!

wildchild

Carolyn

Interesting discussions here on obesity and sexual assault – not the usual fare for a running forum, but very interesting and thoughtful posts.

Twocat, good luck with your travels, and I liked the relive video of your workout, despite the lack of overpasses!

Leslie, tell your running partner we all wish her a speedy recovery! And reading through 2” thick regs is what I used to do for a living (environmental regs). That’s why people hire environmental consultants, so I didn’t mind.

RunnerKSA, I second Tomwhite’s comment that you probably shouldn’t buy a lottery ticket today! Hope the rest of your day went better than the start.

Metalman, those are some pretty speedy paces!  Interesting that you got faster when you stopped running long.  I guess it makes sense, but for myself, I prefer long slow runs to short fast runs.

Today, I ran 9 trail miles, in a blustery 40 degrees - my favorite loop in the local state park.  I wore shorts, but was happy I'd brought a wind shirt and gloves.  There were a few icy patches on the north-facing slopes but otherwise it was pretty fun!  I've been ramping up my mileage since my DH  has been away (since he's not a big fan of my running) and I can tell I'm getting stronger on the hills!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Thanks, all.  I survived the day!  My case that has been set for trial for 9 months is NOT going to trial on Monday, so I have 3 "found" days.  My key witness is in the hospital and has been diagnosed with colon cancer and Ecoli.  He expects to be released on Friday and wanted to go ahead with trial, but the judge doesn't want him to  travel here and deal with it all, which is the right call.  So- February 26 is now the big day.  I have mixed feelings.  We were all geared up to go, and now.....  But, I have plenty else to do.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

catwhoorg

Labrat

One of of the pieces I read, it was mentioned that Matt Lauer had a lock on his office door, that he could operate from his desk.

THAT is creep factor elevated to over 9000 right there.

My one direct report right now is a young woman, the idea of locking a door to a room with the two of us is just incomprehensible.

(Shutting a door is occasionally necessary, but never locking)

Anyway

6 lunchtime miles took me into the realm of November being my highest mileage month ever, then 9 followed up as a chaser after work.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

The associate attorney I've been working with for almost two years on this stuff keeps asking me if I've read through the state regs, etc (which is about 2 1/2 inches thick), and the answer is no.  *sigh* I'm not sure what to do.

you: "nope, I wouldn't dare.  Regulations are legal words that people go to law school

to understand so please tell me which ones are applicable to our applications, etc.

and we'll get together to make sure I'm on the same page with you.  Thanks."

Leslie - do not let the AA be able to blame you

for misinterpreting/misapplying brand-new,

very complicated regulations.  Good luck.

= = = = = =

ps - no wonder I like getting old so much even more-and-more nowadays, . . .

except for the good fortune of angels-on-earth like Mr. and Mrs. Falcon, . . .

and everyone else herein in our supportive masters board.

I’d trade everyone else in the world to have you guys

as our judges, juries, police, etc.

pps twocat - in case you get lost on any runs in Beijing as has happened to certain others <<<(that would be me)>>>, can you send a relive of where you are so we can send help?  For sure, though, take the bus out to the Great Wall for a short run, . . . er, climb, . . . steep climb

run-the-great-wall-35

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, thank you for the prayers and support.  Always very much appreciated.  I really only related that story to reach out to Deez.  My DW is a special ed teacher (cross categorical) and we always thought we had it pretty easy compared to a lot of other families with special needs family members.

Anyway, got up early this morning and got in 8+ miles before work.  Then at lunch went out with my operations (pilot) counterpart.  Much slower pace but another 5.5 miles.  After work taught spin on base.

RunnerKSA, sorry about the delay on the trial but after how your day started maybe it's for the best (and out by Friday with ecoli?!!).

Need to get to bed.  I will eventually get better about personals.

Have a great night everyone.

evanflein

Need to get to bed.  I will eventually get better about personals.

Have a great night everyone.

Don't worry about it, I suck at those too. You wrapped it up well with your last line.

Quite the day today. Really. Glad to hear RunerKSA got thru her day and hope your witness recovers well, that's a helluva diagnosis.

Cat runs a lotta miles. And be careful of what you hear, most of the crap swirling around out there about these stores (the secondary and tertiary wave of "news") is BS.

Well we were forecast to have low teens for the highs today, but it never got much above 5°. Oh well, I brought clothes for it and ran 6.3 after work. Stuck to more well-lit paths because my headlamp is getting so dim. DH put new batteries in it tonight and wow, what a difference! So... tomorrow should be better. Anyhow, got 6.3 miles in tonight and survived.

Marathon Maniac #957

When in doubt, DELEGATE! Have the associate attorney provide you with a summary of the state regs. that are most likely to impact your work

Exactly!  That sounds like an attorney job to me.....we do the work, you interpret the law.

Metalman - nice to be able to relax and just put around out there, although your putting around is pretty darn fast.

Cat - I agree, if that is true that would be pretty creepy.

Like Tramps, I sure hope the one that is found to be false doesn't bring doubt on all those who are speaking the truth.

Tet - I love the picture!  Wish I was there...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."