Masters Running

Super windy Saturday, 2/19/11 (Read 396 times)

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Good morning everyone! Very windy here today, gusts up to 46mph, but I managed to stay aground during my run this morning. Helps to have a lot of ballast in the hips. Wink 5.6 miles in 52:17, which I'm quite pleased about. Splits were 9:22, 9:14, 9:14, 9:27, 9:21 and 5:39 (avg 9:25). Can't remember when I had such an even paced run before, if ever. Right leg still isn't 100% but it's definitely getting close.

OK, busy day today, gotta get in the shower and go! Have a fabulous day, all!

...nice running OM//.......don't force it

======

...30min poolrun

then off to Ky after work to see VERY pregnant DD1

and take SIL out for Beer and Nachos

he's in the Spanish Diplomatic Corps so this will be ''interesting''

also

found him some places

to run while he's waiting for ''Alex'' to get here

.................good running guys.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Slo

Nice running there OM !

Beer and Nacho's...sounds like my kind of afternoon Tom

Out for an "easy" 7. The wind kept it from being easy.

A few hours here at work then lots of choices to fill in the rest of the day. A trip to my hometown is in order for sometime this weekend.

Did somebody say, "beer"?

Good morning!  Yes, very windy here, too.

5 ezpz miles, recovering from yesterday's progression run, which was probably my best run in a year but as I didn't report on it yesterday, I guess it's too late Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

WRFB... you can always post yesterday's and today's run.  Just not tomorrow's Wink

OM.. glad the leg is getting there.

Attempted a PBJ Special today (again).. last couple attempts ended up with 1:03 (7:53)  (Target: 8 miles in 1:00 (7:30))

2 mile warmup then 8 miles in 1:01:22 (7:40, AHR 157).... much closer!  getting there! (yay)

Overall 10 miles in 1:18:54 (7:53, AHR 155). It was pretty windy with it in the face for the uphills but at the back for downhills (the reward!).

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

WRFB... you can always post yesterday's and today's run.  Just not tomorrow's Wink

Really?  Well then here's yesterday's.  Like I said I was very happy with this:

12.2 miles, 1:42:02, 8:23/mi, AHR 148 (72% MHR)

5@9:06(135), 2@8:35(142), 5.16@7:37(162)

1 - 9:07(129)

2 - 8:56(135)

3 - 9:11(130)

4 - 9:11(137)

5 - 9:06(137)

6 - 8:39(140)

7 - 8:32(145)

8 - 7:50(150)

9 - 7:47(159)

10 - 7:43(166)

11 - 7:35(166)

12 - 7:23(167)

13 - 1:02(168) [0.16=6:23]

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

You must be getting the wind we had yesterday OM!    We had some gale wind warnings, but it has calmed down today - although still windy as far as running goes.

11 miles for me.   As Larry promised, this week's 11 were much better than last week's 10.

{{{JLynne}}}

WRFB - you post as much as you want!    Awesome job!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

OrangeMat what an apropos title for today's daily!

WRFB show off!  Joking  Indeed, congratulations a very nice run!  I am just totally jealous!

I went out for my first 11 mile run since restarting on running today with the local running club.  The winds were brutal!  Fortunately, there is this one really big guy (well really big relative to me at the very least!) who is in the group I split off with.  He is great for drafting and I took advantage of that during one gale force gust!  Evil   Alas, these winds are blowing in much colder weather for the foreseeable future.  Too bad I was happily getting used to 50° days.

Post run the club was pretty happy with the Drunken Irish Soda Bread© I made.  Yes, it is my recipe!  It has long been a huge hit (hint Bailey's Irish Cream) and the whole loaf was gobbled up.  The number of calories these guys consumed was something else!  Along with it I made an Irish Brown Bread for dinner tonight.  We are having some long time friends over.  Alas, the wife just lost her mother rather suddenly and is really broken up about it.  Hopefully, dinner tonight with company will help a little bit.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

SteveP

Good luck with the ortho Angry Bill.

JLynne, yours ticks me off. Too many professionals (regardless of the industry) forget compassion.

Holy Flying Econos!!!!

Have fun Tom White...Be kind to the near future grandchild, even though they are a Northerner.

Tag and I did a breezy 5k with about 70 of or closest friends.

SteveP

Nuts! The best laid plans of mice and men, and runners too.  I had to cancel out of todays race with Econo and Ben, because it is being held 2 hrs. from my house over a mountain range, and snow and ice were predicted.  Just didn't want to chance that by myself.  Sooooo, my family is out there running/walking    and having a greta time, and here I am at home keeping the computer chair warm.  I'll go do the treadmill later on. If you want to read about Ben, there is a great report by Renee' on her log of a hike that the two of them took yesterday. 

Stumpy - I love the bear with his fig leaf on backwards! 

If you are very lucky, you get to have a Dr. who says you have this and that with your hips, pelvis, etc., and can try this and that, but "I am not trying to tell you not to run."   Guess I am lucky in that regard.  I do think the most important thing is to listen very carefully to your own body, and mind it.  BTW, I had such bad hip bursitis in my hips in my 30's, I could barely walk, let alone run, but took up running at age 69 with very little trouble.

Tramps

Nice even run, OM!

Tom—what an interesting SIL to have.  Is there a trip abroad in your future?

Hi Lou!  That teaser made me go look; nice run yesterday!  (And then I scrolled down and saw you posted it later.  Doh!)

Nice job, Perch.  PBJ is in your sights

Mary—runs are getting longer and going better?  Great combo.

Twocat—nice to see you out for a long one with the club.

Woods Lady—good to see you but I’m sorry you couldn’t make the race today.

It’s a high-mileage week with three quality days already (tempo, intervals, MP) so today’s long run was just a low-key relaxed affair.  I went out to a nearby “rail trail” which is a little rough (still some old RR ties and rails, rocky in places, downed trees/branches etc) but has only modest inclines the whole way (though it gives you the odd illusion of going uphill in both directions!).  It was mid-50s but very windy (gusts up to 60 mph, according to the radio), especially in the last half when gusts were bringing me to a standstill at times. 

Anyway, 22.5 miles @ 8:39, though I cheated four or five times and turned off my watch while I cleared away some downed branches and debris on the trail.  Definitely harder to run on this uneven, variable surface than on pavement and I was tired by the end.  It was a nice change of scenery though, since this goes past farmland and wooded stretches with ponds (no bares, though).  All in all, a pleasant morning.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Some great running here today, in spite of the windy conditions a lot of you are having.

Woods Lady – I would have made the same decision.  It’s so good to here of his improvement!

Tramps – that’s not cheating, and kind of you to tidy the trail for the next person.

DD wanted to ride her bike with me on my run today, and since I was already planning on switching out my Friday easy/rest day for Saturday, it was easy to say yes. 

4 easy-paced miles in 35° with DD riding her bike.

We had such a great time at the Cabaret show last night, although I didn’t like the 1.5 hour drive through rush-hour traffic to get there (I am such a local-yokal), but the ride home was much easier.  Tonight we have dinner at PF Chang’s and a play (a comedy) with another couple.  Good thing tomorrow is LR day….

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Went out for a run but turned around at 1 mile and went home.  Just a weird kind of carpy feeling.  My (surgically repaired) right foot was feeling like it wasn't functioning properly, and then the heel on that foot started to ache.  My hands, even with my normal gloves on, turned to ice and weren't warming up.  And on and on with the complaints.....

Once home, I got all spiffed up, took Cindy out to Bob Evans for some breakfast, and then I threw my skis in the car and headed north for my first xc skiing of the season.  90 minutes on some icy conditions from the thaw & refreeze.  The downhills were white knucklers for me.  Once on the flat parts I had about 4 times that the icy ruts knocked me over.  And I thought xc skiing was a non-impact sport. Black eye

No harm done and it felt good to finally get out there.  If we get the expected snow storm tomorrow, and the roads seem ok, I think I may take Monday afternoon off work and try it again, this time minis the ice.

Ben walked the whole 5K in the bitter cold!  (OK, cold by our standards -- about 31 degrees and a bit windy.)  He did beautifully (56:00).  DH walked alongside him.  On the first loop they noted two landmarks for Ben to recall visually on the 2nd loop, and he spotted both of them.  We are trying to get him to stimulate some visual recall, as his visual memory is pretty poor. 

I ran the 5K in a comfortably fast 26:12; 'salright for how little running I've been doing and the dratted piriformis that Jlynne and twocat and others have faced/are facing, a.k.a Dead Butt Syndrome.

Ben is really motoring along, just 9 weeks post-stroke.  I am about to put regular shoelaces back onto his shoes, because he can tie shoelaces again.  Typing and putting in contact lenses will take much longer to re-learn.  His memory and concentration skills will take months and months of recovery; I don't know how long.  He's remembering maybe 20% of what happens, and even asked "was I in rehab?" 2 days ago.  Yes, Ben.  We are grateful for the 20% -- it is a huge improvement over 0%, which was frightening to us and confusing for him.

We're entering a very intense phase of transitioning back to work for both my DH and myself (I've cut back to half time for another month), lots of outpatient therapy and doctors appts, and conquering the mountain of requirements Ben needs to finish his senior year of h.s.  So I won't be posting anywhere but the occasional public access post on FB.  Every minute feels precious at this point.

Tramps

(((((((((Ben & Econo & family))))))))))))))))

Thanks to you and Woods Lady for the updates.

Be safe. Be kind.