Masters Running

Portland jogathon (Read 364 times)

Maniac 505

Aamos:

we have both done the getting hurt thing a few times haven't we?  yeah,  jogging is good, but I might just see if I can safely figure out how to pick up the pace a bit in a few months.  I know Edmonds well.  It is just a few miles north of here.  I lived there for many years before I bought my down town condo.  A runner needing a pacemaker at 45 must have been a shock!

Woodslady:

It would be GREAT to see you and some (all) of your clan in Newport.  I have met Econo,  little econo, and Big Sis econo at a of race or two.  haven't seen her in a few years though (I think since Tetsujin tried to kidnap her)  As soon as I can confirm the week off from work I will register for newport

great race report Dave!! glad you enjoyed the race!!

denise

Very funny, jokingboy.

Maybe you should look her up--she could be a running buddy (and she's really pretty):

Deby KumasakaDeby Kumasaka
        Edmonds, Washington

Kumasaka, 45, has a pacemaker to treat an arrhythmia.

“People often tell me that I don’t look like I should have a pacemaker,” states Kumasaka. “What does a person with a pacemaker look like? They look like me, you, our hero and our neighbors, I want be an example that all ages, shapes and sizes can be helped with this technology.”

Powerful words from a mother of three whose life was slowed by unexplained exhaustion just a few years ago. At the age of 38, Kumasaka’s doctor decided to monitor her heart with a holter monitor and discovered a heart block had been recorded on multiple episodes as well as tachycardia on exertion and after episodes.

She was immediately referred to an electrocardiologist who recommended implanting a dual chamber pacemaker.

“I immediately felt better, and I haven’t had a black-out experience since my pacemaker was implanted in 2003,” she notes. “I felt so much more energetic that I took up running again which I hadn’t done since junior high school. I have now completed seven marathons and numerous halves, and even placed second in my age group in one of the races.

“I am an excellent example how a pacemaker can return a quality of life that has been lost through heart anomalies. Sharing my story with others may encourage them to reach for their goals, dream big and keep on trying.”

Masters 2000 miles

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Maybe invite Alanis too.

ps - thanks for helpin' me overcome usual reluctance to preempt more committed runners by signing up for events

with entry limits <<<(newport/newport)>>>  Maybe we can start some oyster practicing at the Pink Door.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

I saw Uber Maniac Bob Dolphin come through in about 6 hours.  He didn't start running until he retired.  Yesterday was marathon #452 for him and his 80th birthday  

I want to be like Bob when I grow up. 

Very nice marathon-LR, Dave!  I like your descriptions of the event and the people you saw.  48 oysters - yowza!  That's, well, just gross.... 

Great job on another marathon!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Dave,

I enjoyed reading about your easy run in Portland.  I sense that you feel the way I do about MP3 listeners during races... I've seen such a change in atmosphere during the past 16 years of running, perhaps something gained?  Perhaps something lost?  I suspect a bit more of the latter. But who knows?

The Bataan Memorial Death March in White Sands was one of the top running experiences of my life.  We ran that in 2007 (?) Ralph ran the entire march, I participated in the "Honorary March".  At the beginning, they had the survivors (sitting in lawn chairs) and we could shake their hands on the way out into the desert.  I imagine that there might be no survivors left for next year's march.  Either way, their spirits will be there.  It's a remarkable event.  I am glad you are going to run it.

Congratulations for Portland!  Another marathon notch on your fuel belt. (figuratively speaking)

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."