Masters Running

Saturday Feb. 20 Master Runs and Workouts (Read 453 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

It must have been the sun kissing my face, the wind on my back or looking at the river meandering thru the valley that make this run the best and fastest 20 miler in history for me. After mile 8 I ran every other mile at a faster speed until mile 17. At mile 18 I called my son to come and get me since I was three towns away from home. I finished the call and then I turned around, with the wind on my face and I pressed on the gas for the last two miles at sub MP.

Nancy - what a lovely run - and super job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Stumpy – at least you don’t have to use a blowdryer…

If that wasn't true I might be offended

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

SteveP

I nominate Cranium hero for a day. Nice PR.

DW went with Tag and me today!!! She walked North for a two mile out and back. Tag and I went south for a three mile out and back. We got back to the truck at the same time.

We have Noah for the evening and a cousin of DW's stopped in. Way too kewl of a night.

SteveP

TammyinGP

11.7 miles for this morning. I have now run 5 days this week, so am thinking it's in my best interests to rest tomorrow, so I shall. That makes 32.3 for the week and I haven't had a 30+ mileage week in several months - probably not since I was training for the marathon last spring.

and I even had to wear long pants today and gloves. Will you talk to me now Tramps? 

although that's because it was still thick fog this morning. About the time I got home, the sun broke out and it warmed up to low 50's or so.

Tammy

Anyone else think that running on snow/ice causes you to tense your muscles and that over time in a long run, it takes more out of you?

OK, that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it!  13 slow ones today in 20 something degrees, but no falls.   ( I love "This American Life.")   The side pull and knee injuries are healing.  Slowly.  Gah.

Jana didn't make the cut-offs, drat.  She's spent a lot of time (she was in the last Olympics) training, and has 4 jumps in all that time.  For you parents out there, if a coach told you that your kid was Olympic material, would you want them to follow that dream?  I know it's their decision, but obviously, a parent can be influential in that decision making process.  Given all they give up, would you encourage your kid to pursue Olympic qualification over going to college, all the rest of life these kids give up to get there?  I mean, Dorothy Hamil is in Ice Capades.

Salmon on the grill tonight despite the cold.  I think Peter is D's inspiration, gracias, Erika and DH!

grins,

A

ps: awesome run, BQill! 

Masters 2000 miles
            Mariposai

11.7 miles for this morning. I have now run 5 days this week, so am thinking it's in my best interests to rest tomorrow, so I shall. That makes 32.3 for the week and I haven't had a 30+ mileage week in several months - probably not since I was training for the marathon last spring.

and I even had to wear long pants today and gloves. Will you talk to me now Tramps? 

although that's because it was still thick fog this morning. About the time I got home, the sun broke out and it warmed up to low 50's or so.

tramps may talk to you...but my wings?????????? who knows? You guys have had such awesome weather down there. Oh!!! BTW, sweet to see that Laura is now your neighbor. I am so looking forward to Eugene.

Batman, are we going to see a picture of the baby? BTW, I love the new cape ofour famous dog.

Aamos, salmon dinner sounds delicious. My chinese dinner helpers are working strong on the " chinese buns". I have a bunch of kids with me in my small kitchen...it is so much fun. The plan is to serve four different kinds of stir fry plys the buns.

good luck in BATAN dave!!!! have a blast and come back to tell us all about it!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Hey HEY hey - Made it through the run today.  The back, surprisingly, feels good.  Better today than it did after sitting all day yesterday driving.  Only laid down on the trail once to try and ease the tightness.  It was pretty funny.  People were running by, "Are you okay?"  "Do you need help?"  Karen's answer - No, she's fine.  (I just looked like I was dying).

Made it through the mud sucking run.  Lost my shoe at one point, but luckily it hung up on my toes or it might've been tough finding it.  It was reported that one runner left their shoes behind 'cause they were lost in the mud and ran barefoot the rest of the way (maybe half a mile), one person couldn't find a shoe.  I mean, this mud was thick and freaking grabby.

The run - Well Karen and I made a pact to do the whole thing together.  We've never run an entire race together, and since this was basically a training run - sure!  Well, the second half she started going downhill (ends up she was very low on salt).  It was really tough going for her - pooping, cramping, nausea - but we stuck it out together.  I'll tell you more about her melt down and the drama later.  If I'd been a $itch and left her behind, I think I could've finished in 6:50 to 7:00 hrs.  But I've been there before, feeling like something that washed up dead and rotting somewhere, it's lonely 'cause there's no one around for what seems like miles - it's very disheartening, discouraging.  But the main thing is, we finished - 8:26 - DFL hand in hand.

I'm pleasantly pooped, unpleasantly bloated (I always get bloated afterward), and am ready to hit the hay before the long drive tomorrow.

Will read through the daily later when I have more time.  Nite!

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

great!!!!!!!!!!!!! I now can go to sleep now knowing that fatozzig made it thru her race and with much story to tell us. Great to hear that you and Karin were able to run together!!!!!

Sweet dream ultra goddesss!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

What an awesome long run PR for you, Mariposai! You took 20 minutes off your previous best 20 mile training time? You said you've had such limited time for training, but I've been seeing some great runs from you. That's why I asked what your plans for Wenatchee were.

Holly, I find it almost "easier" to stay running constantly on the TM because I don't want to stop and start it up again. I only stop for bathroom emergencies if I can possibly help it. I don't have the distractions you do though; when I'm running on the 'mill, my guys mostly leave me alone.

Amy, salmon on the grill! Yum! Next time we're all together like that we'll expect to see some tandem grilling, ok? 

Yay Leslie for getting it done and not being a beyotch and sticking it out with your friend. Seriously, that takes heart even when this wasn't an "A" race for you. Knowing firsthand what she was going through makes a difference, I'm sure. Hope to hear the details of your run later, but you can leave the details of Karen's problems out of it, k?

Well I had a good run today, and also thought of Perch's screw shoes as I was slip-slidin' along. Figured today with it's warm temperatures and slick snow would've been a perfect time to use them. But I didn't have any. So, just about every step included about an inch or so slip back on each push off. Amy, yes, that definitely wears on you! I had a goal today of a mostly MP run. Given that my two best marathons were just over 8:20 pace, I smartly have decided that 8:20 is my marathon pace. Hey, a girl can dream, right? Temps were 32°-34° and the conditions were sunny and bright. This is what I'd waited all week for! 10 miles, 8:19 avg pace. Mostly a flat run, but pretty cool mile splits:

8:42

8:24

8:21

8:17

8:15

8:20 (slight "hill" up train overpass)

8:15

8:08

8:12

8:17 (included "hill" back up over the train tracks)

I was wondering how this same effort on dry roads would compare, pace-wise. I'm hoping it would be pretty good.

Mariposai

great run there snow queen!!!

YOUUUUUUUU are such an inspiration to me!!!!! Your run today will equate to a fast Boston come April.

My alas (wings) need to give a disclaimer...this was 25 minutes faster than my last 20 miler of two weeks ago, which was much colder and windier.... NOT the best 20 miler ever. When training with the wiseone I was running these 20 miler at about 3:20 or less. So, I am way behind my best time of a year ago. But mighty happy with my overall wellness