Masters Running

Fri Sept 12 (Read 461 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good evening Masters! After work today I ran blah blah miles at blah blah pace, and my blah blah was giving me trouble again, blah, blah.
    Big grin
      evryday is getting snarky, someone better reprimand him! Seriously, that story Holly told about the assistant getting fired her first week after being so sick and hospitalized....well maybe she isn't fired yet...but anyway, that really made me fume. Is there no compassion in this world anymore?? Is losing money always the deteriming factor? I worked for 5 years for a tyrant, and although he was abusive in many ways to his staff, he drew the line at illness. He absolutely did not want anyone who was sick to come into work. He insisted they stayed home, rested as much as possible, and got well as quickly as possible. Still hoping to go out tonight for 5 miles. Time to start wearing the running skirt as it is getting cooler.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

EVRYDAY QUIT YOUR BRAGGING! With all due regard to the election year, here is my race advice for RA runners. Have a good energy plan, will you use GU, gatorade, gummy bears or be dependent on what strangers are handing out on the course? Line up in the middle try not to be too far left or right, but use the tangents to your advantage when possible. Start conservative but become increasingly liberal when the race gets heated. Don't get the over taxed look early in the race or you may not get to the finishline. Don't let the state of your face get red, although that is probably better than blue, try to keep your face looking neutral. Run your own race and don't start a war with other runners over your positions. Stay the course and avoid bridges to nowhere. Push hard all the way through the finish and don't leave any hanging chads on the course. Big grin My son also lost his sales job last week but he had enough time to bump into warehouse job with same company. About $3 per per hour less & no commission. No run for me today.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

just a quick post on my workout today - took me awhile to get going but then had a great workout!! treadmill: 1st mile - 10:00 min/per mile - 6.0 mph on treadmill mile 2 1.2 @ 9:50 6.1 1/2 @9:40 6.2 mile 3@ 9:31 6.3 mile 4 @9:22 6.4 mile 5 @9:13 6.5 then cooled down 1/ 2mile total treadmill time 54min then weight machines: ham/glutes, shoulder press, back, chest, followed by some abwork and light stretching oh and my son's cross-country coach said for the 1st meet next week he won't be able to run all the freshmen but he was giving my son a uniform and having him run -- pretty psyched for him - haven't run with him yet so will be fun to see how he does!! now going back to read why we have so many posts again today have a great weekend everyone!!

denise

my son's cross-country coach said for the 1st meet next week he won't be able to run all the freshmen but he was giving my son a uniform and having him run
            That's nice. Dark Colt had his first middle school cross-country practice Tuesday. He is not much of a runner these days but at least he is participating, which gladdens my heart. Dark Horse
            I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
            SteveP

Tim, You've got a good heart.
              Afterwards, we decided that Jeff Galloway was a godsend!! The course was hilly, surprisingly so. We would have died if we'd try to run it non-stop. At first, it was hard to make ourselves stop running every minute, but towards the end, we were thrilled to walk! The best thing about the method is that when you run, you really RUN, instead of just slogging along. Our normal pace is slower than 11 mpm, but today, it was often 9:20-10 mpm during the running portions. I ran 12.0 miles in 2:29:22, for a 12:27 mpm overall pace. It was cool to still feel decent at the end! We're looking forward to the HM in 9 days.
              Thanks for the info.

SteveP