Masters Running

Fri Sept 12 (Read 461 times)

Wow, Busy day...lots of posts...Canadians don't get offended so you can talk about anything and we will just Big grin 45 minutes ez mixed with spurts. Legs felt strong...yay...looking good for next week's Canadian Army Run... Someone asked how it was going with my lady friend. It's going great. Thank you for asking. Getting to know each other slowly but I have to say we sure enjoy each other's company and she is french. First french girl I have gone out with since high school and I have to say I missed a lot of the cultural side of it. Thinking about running another half 2 weeks after the Army Run. That will be 3 in 6 weeks. I expect I should be getting better and better with each...ie; C race, then B race (the Army Run) then PEC (A race). Although the race in Picton;'s pretty tough with a few nice hills at the end. Take care Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Thinking about running another half 2 weeks after the Army Run. That will be 3 in 6 weeks. I expect I should be getting better and better with each...ie; C race, then B race (the Army Run) then PEC (A race). Although the race in Picton;'s pretty tough with a few nice hills at the end. Take care Tall
      Really, how much better can you get Tall?? Yes

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Actually, the note read "Please excuse Lou from work today so that he can brew beer for me" After my terrible no-good very bad run on Tuesday, I took two rest days and had a better experience today. 6 miles at just under 10:00 pace. I'll take tomorrow off too, then execute the final 20 miler on Sunday. Then it's taper time. I've got to look back at my training log and see where I overdid it this time.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Hey DickyG - if you give those Adidas a try, let me know how you like them. I've been eyeing them as well. I've only got 350 miles on my Nimbus 10's, and the soles are shot. I like the fit, but the sole wear leaves a lot to be desired.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Tallrunner, you Candians are pretty cool! DH and I enjoyed our vacation in Ontario. Everyone was so friendly and fun to talk to. And no one gave us a hard time for being American! Wink I have very liberal friends and very conservative ones. I tend to be all over the map. I try not to bring up politics or religion with most of them! Someone, without telling us, got us a year subscription to a very liberal magazine - trying to "educate" us, I guess. It backfired, because I'm not impressed at all with the writing style or logic. Now to the important stuff! I attended the Galloway clinic at our local running store last night. What a gentleman he is! I decided to use the run/walk method for my long run today. My running partner and I went to try out the HM course we're doing next week. Jeff said we should use a run/walk ratio of 1 minute/1 minute, based on our running pace. That was hard for our egos to take, but we agreed to try it. Afterwards, we decided that Jeff Galloway was a godsend!! The course was hilly, surprisingly so. We would have died if we'd try to run it non-stop. At first, it was hard to make ourselves stop running every minute, but towards the end, we were thrilled to walk! The best thing about the method is that when you run, you really RUN, instead of just slogging along. Our normal pace is slower than 11 mpm, but today, it was often 9:20-10 mpm during the running portions. I ran 12.0 miles in 2:29:22, for a 12:27 mpm overall pace. It was cool to still feel decent at the end! We're looking forward to the HM in 9 days.

Marathon Maniac #957

It was cool to still feel decent at the end! We're looking forward to the HM in 9 days.
              Excellent! You know we're all cheering for you here. Don't forget to take pictures for your race report! Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

That's really interesting Theresa - thanks for sharing that tidbit! I talked to my running partner and we ARE running tomorrow (unless it is storming). We've also decided to drive over to the next town and run on some paths that will be new and refreshing to us. And yes, Tim, I'll be wearing a shirt! Roll eyes Thanks for all the advise ... I'm actually looking forward to it now!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

wildchild

Carolyn

Tim, sorry to hear about the layoffs at your workplace. That sucks. On a brighter note I liked the visual of you hurdling hedges at the start of your marathon! Mary, good luck on your 20-miler tomorrow. I wish you good weather and lots of sproink. Karin, happy rest day! A "disturbance in the force", indeed, as Erika put it. Doug and dg, I remember Tim Looney from Coolrunning. Have fun if you run his 5K race tomorrow! Spareribs, congrats on the first jogging day! We all wish you much success in your slow return to running. DickyG, you might be temporarily faster than Ribs, but you're faster than me almost always! You're pretty durn fast for an old guy! Dark Horse, I enjoyed your stories today. Glad you're back! Perch, good luck with your recovery, and please keep posting, even while you're on the DL! Cranium, I looked at your log, and I see what you mean about the "sad giant green bar!" Get busy posting some runs! Tammy, good luck on your 10K tomorrow! Holly, that sucks that the attorney in your office fired his new assistant when she's in the hospital. Doesn't sound like a good guy to work for. Oh, and please don't stop your non-running posts, particularly the stories about your kids. I love your "proud parent" moments. PDR, sorry to hear about your "terrible no-good very bad run" - had to smile at that description! Hope your 20-miler on Sunday goes well, and happy tapering! Just don't drink too much of that homebrew. I went for a chilly 3.35 mile run this afternoon, home from the sheriff's office. 47 degrees and breezy. I wore long sleeves and long pants for the first time this fall. We went to the sheriff's office to find a notary to witness my signature on an affidavit for a learner's permit for DD. DH has to go to Home Depot in town so he's taking DD to get her permit, but they need both parents to sign the form and it was easier to get it notarized locally than to have all 3 of us drive to town. Its been cold and raining here since yesterday, and there's new snow on the divide! I'll try to take a picture tomorrow and post it.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

Holly, that sucks that the attorney in your office fired his new assistant when she's in the hospital. Doesn't sound like a good guy to work for.
                    If I'm remembering correctly, Holly works for an older female sole practitioner? I found it interesting though how when we hear of something that just seems so unfair like firing a new employee who is hospitalized, that one tends to assume it must be a male boss. But then if I'm wrong and Holly does work for male attorney, then nevermind . . . Carolyn's assumption was spot-on! Wink

Tammy

Ribs - sorry I must have just missed your post yesterday and today I've been right out straight until just a little bit ago. Thanks for your input, once again it means a great deal to me and I value your suggestions. Congrats on the go ahead to start running and by the way I knew you weren't kidding about the power point! Teresa - the new course is actually less hilly than the course they ran last year. They had to re-work it because of too many complaints in York Village (church goers were especially upset about the traffic tie ups). I'll be down there and will probably run the 5K before you all head out on your run. I have run the new course and find it quite enjoyable and pretty scenic overall. Today was an easy run - good thing as I could feel the results of my harder workouts this week in my quads: Friday - 6.03 easy recovery miles - 51:09 (8:28) Avg HR 124 Max HR 135 - 62 degress and rainy. Good runs all - Big grin
                      wildchild

Carolyn

If I'm remembering correctly, Holly works for an older female sole practitioner? I found it interesting though how when we hear of something that just seems so unfair like firing a new employee who is hospitalized, that one tends to assume it must be a male boss. But then if I'm wrong and Holly does work for male attorney, then nevermind . . . Carolyn's assumption was spot-on! Wink
                        Well, I went back and checked Holly's post yesterday and she said "The attorney who shares office space with us hired a new secretary last week. Not wanting to blow her new job, she came to work deathly ill all last week and this. Today her aunt called to say that she is now in the hospital with strep throat, pneumonia, and double ear infections." So it's not her boss but another attorney in the office. BUT - she didn't say if it was a male or female attorney. So you're right, Tammy, I jumped to conclusions.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Mainerunnah, I think that's why I was surprised - the website said it's 30% less hilly this year. Yikes! You're right - it's a beautiful course, one of the nicest I've seen. I just have to get in better shape for next year!

Marathon Maniac #957

If I'm remembering correctly, Holly works for an older female sole practitioner?
                            You're right, I do work for an older female solo practioner, who, thankfully, has not (yet) fired her paralegal. Big grin But we share office space with another older female solo practioner, and she is the one who just hired a legal secretary. I will say that, after phoning the new girl in her hospital room, the attorney relented in that, if she makes it to work Monday she may still have a job. Let's hope the antibiotics work for her. She seems like a nice young woman.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

7 miles on the treadmill at 8:48 mile pace. Dark Horse
                              I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                                Good evening Masters! After work today I ran blah blah miles at blah blah pace, and my blah blah was giving me trouble again, blah, blah.
                                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM