Masters Running

Saturday October 10 Master Runs and Workouts (Read 355 times)

Ribs, don't feel bad about going out too fast....it happened today to me in Hartford, and I didn't get an AG award perk like you did.

Mile 10: 1:17:16

Mile 20: 2:35:28

Finish: 3:39:30-ish.

Over an HOUR for the final 10k? Ouch!

By mile 20, the wheels, they were a-wobblin' (despite the encouragement of the fit, lovely and enthusiastic CNYrunner), and by mile 21, they were off. Bonked. Too wet to plow. Folded like a cheap suitcase. Katy bar the door. I was shown the wall.

Somedays, you eat the bear....other days, you hide your RR in the daily.....

And now, to nap.

Walt

Ouch is right, Walt.  Sounds like an unpleasant finish for you.  Rest up, and get 'em next time.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Slo

Walt

If it's any consolation......I kinda feel better about my marathon now.

Honestly......I learned alot....as I sit here with my leg in a boot. I know what I need to do for my next one.

Nice job though.......still a very respectable time ya know.

Ah Walt!

The marathon is a cruel mistress and always a l-o-n-g way to go. You looked good even if you got a wall spanking. I am so glad I got to see you at mile 1 and then again at 20 and the finish. Rest up, recover and be good to yourself and then let me know what you might plan for next year---we'll run together.

I think I had the most fun just being there to cheer. I was the driver for  Dr. J and met up with Iron J and her husband as well. I saw Pink from KR at the start area (ran the half), hugged my friend Claire who was so nervous she was in tears up in the elite area. I scooted off to as many points as possible to yell for runners and clap my hands raw. 

Hi PBJ! You and your family are awesome for handing out candy at mile 22 and it was fun to say hello to you as well. Nice job in NH by the way---I know how hilly that course is and you aced it.

I got into my gear and got myself out to mile 19----watching the winners go by is always a kick and Patrick Moulton had a monster lead on the rest of the field. He and his twin brother Casey are often in the lead around here and elsewhere. Claire came by and I could tell her 2:45 wasn't going to be today (ended up with a 3:04). It's tough when you can see that on a friend's face. I bounced and cheered no less. Then came Walt gliding by and I even trotted alongside (helping you avoid race report fines here ....it was a bit warm and very windy folks) Then along came Dr. J right on schedule....I jumped in next to her (careful to stay on the side) and paced her in. Her dream goal was a 3:35 but mostly she wanted to beat a 3:40---a BQ for the youngest women----she is 49 so it was her own age victory as she snagged a 3:38:56---so happy for her---she is a mother of 4 and a busy physician too. Iron J helped her husband run a 4:19 for his very first (and maybe last) marathon. He was a hurting pup at the end and as I was cheering at him at mile 26, he yells back: "George, where's the joy? you promised me **&&^% Joy!  Oh dear...it will come later.

Anyway....a great spirit throughout the city of Hartford and I just may like spectating as much as racing.

Ribs---sorry about the disappointment and I know what that's like. You had a long and busy week of travel and that does wear---I know this.  Congrats to you anyway and go get that race you want soon.

I hope all the racers had a good day----come and tell us soon!

Oh, 9 miles of running for me today. All fine

Marathon Maniac #957

Breger – nice run for you today.  You will enjoy the cooler temps.  Right now the forecast is only for 20% chance of rain, but it’s too soon for accuracy.

Halllar – that’s some tough working hours.

Mary – believe it or not, I had to stop and go 3 times during my run today!  Luckily there are still portopotties along the river trail.  This is why I take Imodium before long races. 

TomS – nice sproinky pace for you today.

Ribs – congrats on the AG win, even if you didn’t like your race.

Paul – congrats on the 5K PR! 

Walt – tough finish, but I like how CNYrunner put it, getting a “wall spanking.”  What were you shooting for, timewise?

CNYrunner – what a fun day, and thanks for giving us a picture of it.  You remind me how fun it can be to be on the other side, instead of running the race.  Probably more fun, actually.

12 miles for me today, with 6 miles at (8:32 ave) in the middle.  This was harder than I would have liked today, this close to the race.  I’m thinking I may want to aim at 8:40 for MP.  So hard to decide, and choosing too fast a pace may cause me to flame out too soon.  Decisions, decisions.

Birthday dinner for a friend is at our house tonight.  Pork loin is in the oven roasting, Tammy’s apple cake is cooling on the counter, time to head upstairs and start on the hors d’oeuvres, sides, and salad fixings, and try not to overeat or drink, since I’m on my reduced-calorie taper intake.  I like Fussyrunner’s advice.  She said, “have two glasses of wine while you’re cooking and then you won’t care anymore about how much you eat.” 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, Breeger, still H&H in Florida?  It's only managed to warm up to 15° here by 3 pm!  We've had a fire in the woodstove going all day. My right ankle has been twingy for a few weeks, and it seems to do better if I run every other day, so I'm taking a rest day.  It's supposed to be marginally warmer tomorrow anyway.

Sorry to hear Larry and Slo have to work this weekend - doesn't seem fair, with Perch and Tim out of work - maybe you guys could share jobs or something?

Ribs, sorry you didn't have the race you wanted, but an AG win is still a nice consolation prize!  That's how I felt after my crummy 10K race last month, anyway.

Helen, nice job on the long run and swim today!

Twocat, your muffins sound terrific!  I hope soon you can run AND bake muffins - doesn't have to be one or the other!

Paul, congrats on your 5K PR in the middle of a long run. Great job!

Walt, sorry about the bonk, but nice that you got to run with Karin.  You're forgiven for your RR in the daily.

Karin, it sounds like you had lots more fun spectating than Walt or Mr. IronJ were having at the end of their runs.  Stories like those make me wonder why anyone thinks running a marathon sounds like a good idea. Although I'm not saying I haven't thought about it... 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

"Tammy's apple cake"  , that cracks me up Holly.

Ran a 10K this morning and a real crummy one at that. I PR'd by over 1.5 minutes (previous PR on a different course was 54:03) and I beat my last years time on this same course by over 2 min. Crummy I tell ya.

52:27 is my new PR time now and it was even a hilly course. Can't get much worse than that.

Tammy

King of PhotoShop

Oh be quiet Tammy!

And congrats on your crummy race.  (Thank goodness I stumbled in the way I did.  I only beat you by about a minute.  Geeze!)  

And as for me, I have only one road trip next week and it's for just one day in Chicago.  I am going to run like crazy this week and get all my sproink back, so the rest of you watch out. 

CNY, cool post.  Glad you had fun.

Walt, sorry about that.  I have had some of those too.  You had a decent time out of it though and you will rebound the next time as the others have said.  You are a very good runner.  Spareribs

Walt - Sorry 'bout the wall spanking.  The two marathons I've participated in - felt like they pulled the freaking studs out of the wall and beat the crap outta me with them.  Think I'll stick to 50ks from now on. 

Ribs, Tammy, TomS (who am I missing?) - Fantastic jobs all the way around.

Mary - Oooh boy, can I sympathize!  I've gone through many a gut wrenching episode, trying to make it to the supermarket or the workout club.  Sometimes there just ain't enough butt clenching in the world to keep things from happening.

16 trail miles this morning in 4:18.  My legs are very tired.  Going from 10 last Saturday to 16 this Saturday, then really working the hills pretty much did me in.  Unfortunately, we got waylayed about halfway through by a cop giving people tickets for not having their dogs on leashes.  We were stopped for at least 5 minutes for that one.

The story - we run in the Arcata Forest, and even though the signs say dogs must be leashed, it's not something  99.99% of the people adhere to.  We all see each other all the time, and all the dogs are friends.  We do the majority of our run on the side where there are more people actually exercising, as opposed to the side where there are lots of vagrants.  However, a couple of months ago, we started venturing over to the "dark side" just to give us a change of scenery. (Vagrants are huge problem in Humboldt County, and particularly in Arcata.)

Today, as we were passing through the park over there, a cop was giving a group of vagrants tickets for not having their dogs on leases (we're talking 6 or 7 dogs).  According to the cop, they had received complaints that morning about these people.  Well, here we come through with Charlie Dog, and the cop yells, "You're dog needs to be on a leash."  Us: "Okay!"  Well, I guess one of the vagrants asked him why he wasn't ticketing us when they got tickets.  Soooo, he yelled to us again, we stopped, and Karen got a ticket.  She wasn't upset 'cause like she told him, we were in the wrong.  He said he didn't want to give her a ticket 'cause he understood that we can't run (well, she and Coach couldn't run) 24 miles with a dog on a leash and would've let us off with a warning, but . . . .  WE actually felt bad for the cop 'cause he felt bad about having to give Karen a ticket. 

Anyway - moral of the story: Carry a leash with us from now on and stay away from the vagrants.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Think I'll stick to 50ks from now on. 

Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

.... so the moral of the story is if the vagrants had run 24 miles with their dogs they could have avoided a ticket Smile

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I don't know about spectating being more fun than running, but it's a lot easier   I know I haven't hurt myself clapping or ringing a cow bell.

Walt--sorry about the bonk.   But you made it the whole way, got rootedfor by CNY, and got a nap.  Worse ways to spend a Saturday.

And I hope I can run as crummy a race as Ribs and Tammy suffered through

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

.... so the moral of the story is if the vagrants had run 24 miles with their dogs they could have avoided a ticket Smile

Exactly!!    (Then maybe they'll become motivated enough to not be vagrants.)

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Maniac 505

sorry about the ticket.  Only ran once since Portland last week,  easy three miler a couple days later made my hip complain,  feels really minor and a lot better today,  probably jog a few tomorrow.

RE: the pressure cooker mentioned yesterday.  don't even think about a jiggle top like your mom had.  Fagor is a good brand to look at, there are a couple other brands that are good too

Mariposai

So many great runs, so little time to read them today. I was gone all morning watching posieson run his Xcountry meet, he did have a PR of 1 minute over his last meet and this was a hillyyyyy course.

After he finished his race Mr. Posie and I drove for half way back home. He dropped me off on the side of the road so I could start running my LR.

22 miles for me enjoying the Columbia River as it meanders thru the hills and valleys. Mr. Posie waited for me every 3 miles for safety and for water stop. Since I was running in the Indian Reservation I did not feel safe to run by myself. Hilly course which made it made it challenging but ended the last mile at sub marathon pace. I was very stingy with my twenty milers this cycle (health, work and family plans just got in the way). I was able to fit in  just one 20, one  21 and one 22 miler and that is all folks.

Now let the taper begging and NYC here I come...

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard