Masters Running

A little race, lots of cheering and some hockey too---Hartford 5k 2008 (Read 307 times)

congrats on another AG placement, but thanks for coming down to Hartford and hanging out and cheering for all the racers here... it was a great pleasure to meet you and hang out in SW cheering the folks on Karin, Craig and dtoce (you're quite a cheerleader youreself... ) sorry about the lighting-it was pretty bright out there
      Way to go Karin. A good race and a great cheering weekend. Good people everywhere! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Wah! I went all the way to Hartford and didn't get to meet you, CNY! Running past doesn't count. Undecided I should have stopped, but I didn't know you were there. Anyway, your report sounds like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride! Awesome. What a beautiful day in New England it was!
          woooooooohoooooooooooo Karin!! sounds like an absolutely perfect way to spend the day (well except for your son's hockey losses) you are so going to rock Baystate!! i'll be thinking of you Tuesday - hugs

denise

CNY, Dang girl. YOure fast! Good job. Great report and good luck at Baystate. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Karin, ps the club is doing the Jolly Jaunt this year again as a team effort for raising money for Special Olympics. DO you want to join my team and race with us? Or more like be the fast streak that speeds by us? Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Great race, Karin, and glad that you had fun meeting so many forum folk. Also nice to read one of your posts again -- you're a good writer and conveyed a good sense of the excitement of the races.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

It was very nice to see you Karin. If I wasn't so occupied, I would have chatted a little longer. My one mistake was the Pro's fig newton. Once I finally caught up with Pete (one of the first timers I was pacing), he said he didn't want it, so I took a bite of it. Wow, was that dry!

Marathon Maniac #957

2nd Ag – extremely kewl, especially considering you were holding back for next week. I’m so glad that your J’s did so well, and meeting up with cyber friends is just the best. Great race and report!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Baystate's in Lowell, no? Weather for Sunday is Sunny Cool and 50's, how greta is that? Big grin [be very glad I am way out here and not there, singing 'Everything's Coming Up Roses" just for you Roll eyes] Wish I could be there to cheer you on, as you have been doing for so many of us (you know...I was running for a while in Maine with a woman named Amy--she had lots of supporters along the course, so I bopped up to her and explained I'd just take advantage of the encouragement and she graciously said she had no problem sharing......at one point, I think I was just edging forward a bit, I remember her saying "I think that last cheer was for you," and I replied "No, no one I know is here........" then I find out you were there! Belated thanks Blush) Congrats on a speedy performance. Looking forward to next weekend--imagine me at mile 18, I'll be saying "it's just two 4 milers!" and "You can stop running in less than an hour!" Frosty Paws are spot on--I used to stop and get it at the Williamsburg Animal CLinic when they had it, on my way to W'ington. It wouldn't melt if I stopped there. Was DS ok after the routing? What'd you do to restore his spirits? The drive must have helped--I used to fall into leaf-peeper mode myself driving route 9 and the backroads in the fall. Big grin Big grin Big grin, A
                      Masters 2000 miles
                        My one mistake was the Pro's fig newton. Once I finally caught up with Pete (one of the first timers I was pacing), he said he didn't want it, so I took a bite of it. Wow, was that dry!
                        Over at the Stonewall Jackson thread, Tramps is swearing by Fig Newmans--maybe you have to get the right brand Confused
                        Masters 2000 miles
                        busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Hi Karin, Nice pre-marathon workout for you! I'm really looking forward to how well you'll do at Baystate. I'm sure you'll burn it up! As for the final part of of you running/cheering during my finish, I was clearly oblivious! At that point I only heard screams and could only see the number "2". :-D Thank you for the support and it was great to meet you afterwards! Craig
                          -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                          also on Twitter
                            Thanks for all the kind words and props folks! I appreciate it and you. It really was a thrill to be there for my buddies and also meet some great new friends as well. I regret that the time was limited to really "meet" folks, but there will be plenty more opportunities I am sure! I have to laugh about the Fig Newman comment Aamos and PBJ.....I am trying to smile in the photograph but can't because I just took a bite of the Fig Newman without a water or gatorade chaser. Whoops.....Pro managed a smile (Newman in his hand) and dtoce is displaying dimples....me? I am trying to wrestle with fig...Oh well! As for the kiddo's spirits after getting creamed----he is more than fine. He was set back a bit when the opposing team's goalie took off her helmet and shook out some long blonde hair (heh, heh) but he recovered and by the toll plaza that leads to the Mass Pike, he was already thinking of Mr. CNYrunner's homemade pizza that awaited him at home. I am trying to get into Zen focus mode for Sunday. No worries about a support crew----Two of the Js will be there. My son and husband will get there as soon after an early hockey game in Holyoke as they can and my SIL, BIL and niece and nephew will be there too. I won't be smooching anyone on the route as I did at Boston, but it will be great to see them all. My goal splits are burned into my brain, my quads don't sting anymore as I climb stairs and I feel like the energy coils are getting loaded. As Yoda would say:" There is no Try, there is only DO. P.S. Boogie the Beagle is hanging in there and likely wondering why all the "Frosty Paws". I am on the road tomorrow, so the vet visit will be a quiet affair. A sweet hound dog and a life well lived.

Head Procrastinator

Karin, I am glad I got to meet you even briefly. Sorry you couldn't hang around a bit longer for lunch or make the dinner the night before but maybe next time. Hugs to your sweet beagle and your family too, I know how hard that will be.
                              ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                                Great cast of characters -- what a race that was! You are so fast to coast to a 21:14 5K! So sorry for your dog, though.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com