Masters Running

Palindrome day 6-12-16 (Read 33 times)

Actually, this week is Palindrome week, when each date reads the same backward as it does forward.

Thanks for the great post yesterday, Jlynne. Great perspective on races. I don't have much to report since 11:00 last night but the munchkins are allowed up at 0700, egads! It was 80° already at 0500 when I ran down to the Regatta and back. Good thing Jumpin' Jake had a bottle of water in his cooler there.  I actually met him on the way back, he was headed down to tear down the stand. Got home, watered all the flowers and vegetables, now it's 0700, oh boy, oh boy! Swimming, paddleboating, singing and dancing to Frozen - on my piano.  It plays all by itself and has a soundtrack with the actual voices and recordings,,,,, gotta go, Let it Go.

Have a greta Sunday!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Starr, it sounds like you are having a non-stop blast with the munchkins this weekend. I hope you survive another day of it. Nice article on Jumpkin Jake too.

Happy Anniversary to you and MBE, Enke! Are you going to take cupcakes to the hardware store today so you can really celebrate in style? Meanwhile, I'm glad the bubbling kids washed away your funk.

WC, I'm glad you are taking advantage of time with the in-laws in NJ to also get in some running and weight work.

Nice racing, Jlynne, and a perfect description of runners, running, and racing. Thanks.

Hi Lamerunner. Nice 9er on the trails. As was posted earlier in the week, when someone has a hearing problem, it can easily produce strain on them and everyone around them. I hope for your and his sake, that DH sees the light (hears the bell?) and gets some hearing aid so he (and you) can enjoy life to the fullest again.

Good for you for getting out for your 5er, Tselbes.

So, Mike likes running? Well, that's (NOT) a surprise!

We went out to dinner with a couple of old friends last night. He turned 90 this year, and she is 85. They are amazing people who just keep on going and enjoying life. He wears hearing aids, and still has trouble hearing, but we accommodate as best we can - so last night, we went to very good but low-key restaurant and also asked for a 'quiet' table. After that, everything was fine. We were at the restaurant for 2 1/2 hours, and could have stayed longer, but it was getting late.

I went out for 6.4 easy RW miles in 55F temps and some dense ground fog. I wonder if it was the fog that caused the problem with my Garmin: I have it set to give me a beep and 'lap' times at every mile. But it started beeping for no reason and at random distances, and sometimes with no distance along the way. And it somehow reset my mile laps to each .31 of a mile. According to my readout after I got back, I went 128 'laps' this morning, most with a distance of "0." When I tried to wear a heart monitor a bunch of years ago, it would similarly freak out when there was a lot of ground fog. I never solved that problem, even after trying different heart monitors, so I just gave up on them. I hope I can reset the Garmin to it's normal functions.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Humid 13 mile run; sapped my strength.  Just so tired of hate and violence.  Can't think of anything else to say at the moment.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Running and racing do let you meet and become friends with a large group of people you never otherwise would. It is a great social sport. Odd for one that does not require a team, an opponent or anything other than some running clothes.

As to running I went off for 9 miles today in York England and my DW for 6. There is a trail here along the River Ouse that we ran along. This is one random picture from my adventures this morning.

After running we walked along the city walls. A great walk, but pretty tiring! The guidebook said to allow 2 hours to go the 2 miles. Took longer than that! Seems hard to understand how, unless you have done it. There are stairs to climb, plaques to read, pictures to take and  all in all a lot to slow you down. But lots of fun! Tomorrow morning we get on a train to London.  There the fun and games end for a couple of days as we instead pay attention to the work activities that brought us out here in the first place.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Just so tired of hate and violence.  

+1

5 walking miles this morning in 75 degrees.  Unfortunately even walking seems to aggravate the knee slightly, so I should probably back off that too for a bit.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I worry the country is becoming desensitized to these horrid acts of violence.

Anyway, 12.1 miles on the horse trails.  Felt pretty good, some tightness in my knee, but it's kind of always like that.  Tried to make my last mile my fastest.  Maybe I will do one more run tomorrow or Tues, then it's relay time!!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Fantastic Shore Run 10K race along the shore of Lake Washington my now 84-yo IM mentor.

It was his first run since becoming officially legally blind, now barely being able to distinguish the grass medians from the roadways so we took it easy, very easy finishing within almost 20 minutes of my PRW 10K that occurred in the last 10K of the White River 50K Endurance Runs with its two 3,500 foot quad-thrashing ascents/descents.  Frank used to do the Shore Run in 40 minutes when it was the "Orient Express" in the late seventies while my best was a lifetime PR 43:13.  Those were the days. What a difference 39 years makes. That's BD for ya, TSelbs. whew.

Congratulations enke and MBE.  I was thinking it wasn't until this summer, . . .

and then I realized it is this summer.

one thing about running all morning is I don't know what happened yet this time.

I think I'll leave the radio off for the rest of the day for some yard work

and then just read what jeanne and mikeE gave us yesterday.  thanks.

Just so tired of hate and violence.  Can't think of anything else to say at the moment.

ps starr - neat palindrome

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

Happy Year-A-Versary to Enke and MBE. I'm very anxious to meet him this upcoming weekend!

got in a couple of good runs leading up the relay. David had a 2 day tennis tournament (community tournament - not school related), so since there is quite a bit of down time in between matches, I got in some running. 7 miles yesterday and 5 today.  David placed 2nd in singles and received a $10 gc to a sporting good store and he and his partner in doubles placed 3rd (out of 3. ) but he doesn't care much about that one, he's a singles player.

Tammy

evanflein

Yes, nice 10k races for Jay and Jlynne (in the heat and humidity). And yes, a good description of runners and the running community.

Still trying to wrap my head around today's happenings in Orlando. It's not happening. Such a ridiculous tragedy. What are we doing as a country? I just can't stand it.

Ok, my legs have been tired and "sproinkless" pretty much since Bayshore. Two weeks post marathon, I think I should be good to go and not feeling fatigued. But... garden work is taxing on the legs, especially when you live on a hill, and being sick hasn't helped. Thankfully, I'm feeling much better and not taking the mucinex any longer, still coughing post-run but not as bad. Today's goal (soft goal, but still) was 14 miles. I made it 11.4 and then stopped. It just wasn't happening. So, 52 miles and change for the week, still behind my 200 mile goal for June but hopefully I'll catch up. 10k next Saturday night is probably our community's biggest race.

Starting to think about a post September marathon somewhere. Twin Cities? (probably sold out, haven't checked) Others?

evanflein

Ok... thinking of fall marathons here....

Is anyone interested in running Steamtown marathon (PA) on October 9? Or Twin Cities (MN) on the same day? There's also Green Mountain in VT, also same day. Just checking to see if there's any interest. I don't have any of these states. Newport RI is the same day, but I think there's an epic story here about that one, ask La Tortuga or WillRunForBeer or PreDawnRunner....

Marathon Maniac #957

Some of us will be in Portland on October 9.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Ok... thinking of fall marathons here....

Is anyone interested in running Steamtown marathon (PA) on October 9? Or Twin Cities (MN) on the same day? There's also Green Mountain in VT, also same day. Just checking to see if there's any interest. I don't have any of these states. Newport RI is the same day, but I think there's an epic story here about that one, ask La Tortuga or WillRunForBeer or PreDawnRunner....

You need This One

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."