Masters Running

It is Sat. 5/7 daily..let's get the party started (Read 404 times)

One thing Opie forgot to mention was that his 10K race included many kilometers in brutal winds (15-20mph with 30mph gusts) on the lake dam (totally unprotected), while the 5K I ran was a bit more protected from the wind.

Paul

As you know, I don't generally blame my poor race results on the conditions but a PR or otherwise good race usually happens in good conditions.  I did have to take a nap so I'll blame the wind for that.  It can't be age or anything like that.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

As you know, I don't generally blame my poor race results on the conditions but a PR or otherwise good race usually happens in good conditions.  I did have to take a nap so I'll blame the wind for that.  It can't be age or anything like that.

I think it was the nap. That usually eats up alot of time during a race  Big grin

Mari.......

Got out for a 3:30 run in a dry 74°.  Awesome run, relaxed, focusing on form and slow breathing. The feet sounded like running in moccasins.

5 miles in 42:42 (8:32) Nice and easy.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

congratulations to all the dam runners.

To have even more fun, go jump in the lake

for a triathlon this summer when it warms up.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild

Carolyn

Paul, congrats on 1st AG!  And Opie, congrats on such an enjoyable PW.

Heme, good job finishing that last long run - and on beautiful trails, too - what a bonus!

DH and I took the dogs for a hike in the local mountain state park - there's still some snow in the woods but the trails are in pretty good shape.  Then he headed home and I did a trail run, but I forgot the Garmin so I'm guessing 4.5 miles. It was almost all downhill, too, since I 'd dropped my car off on the way to our hike.  So it was kind of cheating, but there were a couple of steep uphill parts too.  60° and sunny.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Enjoyable personal worst... that's cool. Way to go in that wind, Opie. Ah hates the wind, meself so a big hats off to you for your race!

Congrats on 1st in AG, Paul. I'd love to do <22 minutes too. Have only done it once and just by seconds, but hey, it happened!

Nice going, Heme! Did you wait to enter till you finished this long run? You'll do great, I just know it.

Wondering how Mariposai did today...

Ran a crowded 5k today, race report in the works. I wouldn't normally do a race report for a 5k, but this one had some interesting tweaks to it, so what the heck. Then I ran 7.2 miles in progressive pace style, with the miles like this:

8:28 (first mile, working through the finish crowds and finding DH just as he was coming off the bridge)

8:25 (gentle uphill with chilly headwind)

8:09 (finding my cruising gear)
            8:06

7:51

7:41

7:39

7:31 pace for last .22 mile

Felt pretty good, but hope I didn't over do it. Those faster later miles are reverse of the harder miles, so that explains the pace a bit (always love a downhill trend with a tailwind). I guess tomorrow's 20 miler will be the test! 

Marathon Maniac #957

Paul, congrats on 1st AG!  And Opie, congrats on such an enjoyable PW.

Heme, good job finishing that last long run - and on beautiful trails, too - what a bonus!

Ditto!

Erika - Sweet run!  Good luck on tomorrow's 20-miler - hope it goes well for you.

Leslie - I hope your family counseling went well tonight.  I love that your DH was so calm the other day - sounds like he's settling in to recovery.

DD's softball team won 18-2 tonight - yowza!  When I saw them practice, I thought the team was, well, not going to be so great, but they are clobbering everyone they play.  It's always nice to have a winning season when you can....Smile

I took flower baskets and cards to the mother figures in my life, so now I can have tomorrow as a relax day with my own family.  Sleep in, run as far as I feel like it, lunch out at a nice restaurant, nap, putter around the house - I can't ask for a better day than that!  Happy Mother's Day to all you mother's out there - I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

Pink must work out.

Very speedy kid Mike E

Wow Mary!!!

Opie, having a good time at a race does not always have anything to do with your pace.

You've been in my thoughts and prayers TwoCat

I like your run Perch.

I don't know if your run was cheating Carolyn. At worst, it may have been a blast.

Not many people have a pace faster after their race Erika.

You rock Holly.

Last night, I committed to a trail 5K. The dog got DW up at 5:00AM. Then he helped me pick out a nice shirt for him to wear. There were about 60 of us. When the race director said, "On Your Mark!", Tag started howling. He gets into it. The only thing I wish was different about this race is, the award groups recognize no gender. i was the first male in the 40 to 49 AG, however, I got chicked 4 times. I've seen the 1st female OA, at this event, not even get a nod. The course was well marked..The trail was raked! I've never seen this at a race. Lots of roots and a few hills and not always room to pass.. Tag pulled over for two pit stops and we finished 28:57. I was shocked that we finished mid pac in the co-ed AG. 

How do you explain to a dog that they should not "Jack Rabbit" at the start of a race and he should think to relieve himself before the race or hold it for a bit. While  on the course, we discussed who would like to have been able to join us.  It's only a 5K.

SteveP

HermosaBoy

Busy day for me.  Watched a LONG track meet.  Some great performances and took a lot of pictures.

Got home and out for my run around 4:45. 

Amazing run!  Supposed to run and out & back with the first half being 22:30 and the second half faster.

Out -- 3.32 miles in 22:30

In -- 3.33 miles in 21:13

A bit faster than planned, but I felt good today.  Must have been from watching all those fast high schoolers.

Me tired now...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Mike E

MM #5615

I'm ending my day the way I started it...in bed posting on RA. In between, a pretty good day. First of all, though--congratulations to all of you who raced, today. This group never quits...you are all very inspiring...no wonder I'm addicted to this forum. Today's run was fantastic. I ran 4.15 miles to my son's dorm--ran 11 miles with him and talked the whole way. I love running with that kid! Then I ran 4.15 miles back to the hotel and added another mile just to get over 20 at 20.3 in 2:30:30 in IRC. After a movie and the banquet and a quick tour of Sioux Falls--here I am. Yep--I'm bushed!

Marathon Maniac #957

How do you explain to a dog that they should not "Jack Rabbit" at the start of a race and he should think to relieve himself before the race or hold it for a bit.

Don't worry, Tag.  I have trouble with those things myself......Wink

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

How do you explain to a dog that they should not "Jack Rabbit" at the start of a race and he should think to relieve himself before the race or hold it for a bit. While  on the course, we discussed who would like to have been able to join us.  It's only a 5K.

Bow wow Tago.  u r lucky.  The first time mine tried it on me was a marathon.

I must have run 40 miles, drinking from the creeks, even seeing a moose.

Unfortunately, I was so tired at the end, I got DQ'ed for cutting across 

the infield of oval track where it ended when I saw some friends at the finish.

yep, he actually paid the $10 entry fee back then for me and I had a number too 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)