Masters Running

Saturday May 3 Master-Boomer Runs (Read 513 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Erika and Gordon both get fined for RRs in the daily! Smile Sorry your races didn't go as planned, but at least you both gave it a good shot. I'm planning to do a 5K race tomorrow morning - just a small local fundraiser for a PTA in Golden. I don't like big races, otherwise I'd try to join seemomgo and seegirlgo at the Irongirl 5K in Denver. I just got in from 4.3 untimed miles with my muddy dogs. It's almost 50 degrees and our recent snow is melting fast. I'll also add yesterday's 6.6 mile windy run after work. The hills are getting easier - yay! Btb - thanks for the cute pictures of Amy. Good luck with your ankle surgery on Monday!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

trail race. 21.7 miles (garmin says 22.14 miles) in 4:46
      oh mari - , what a run it msut have been as the Sunflower is a favorite for many Marathon Maniacs who, with times slower by 30 minutes to an hour, treat it like more than a marathon. evanika - - 30 seconds off a 5K PR so soon after Boston Marathon is like a 30 second travel/marathon-graded PR if not more. thanks btbob Holly - take it only as easy as you need to w/o risking injury and maybe even negative the Pig

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

evanika - - 30 seconds off a 5K PR so soon after Boston Marathon is like a 30 second travel/marathon-graded PR if not more.
        Thanks, Tet, duly noted. You going to Eugene?

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

evan - sorry to be missin' eugene this year but need a couple more weeks of tapering for two more too-early season ultras at the end of the month. when we gunna get you in one? Though all around here are pretty daunting in the Cascade Mountains, they're nothin' like 26.2 miles up and down and along and around Ester Dome. Whacha doin' on 5/17?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

anachrotech, I'm glad to hear you got your longest run in a long time. Steve, it's neat that you take kids to the movies. ribs, I'm sorry to hear the Saint is having back problems. btb, that's too bad that Amy has to go back to the hospital. Thanks for the new pictures. teresa, nice run with your daughter as she got her longest ever. Good job on races for lynden, Evan (with both sons), and mariposai (long trail race). Nice long runs for Jlynne (practice half), Twocat (longest since getting off DL), charley, CNY, and munch (and back was fine). Today wasn't a normal running day but since I'm helping my daughter move tomorrow, I won't be able to run then. Therefore, I did a short run (3 miles), today to get some miles in (I'm a bit obsessive about getting my self imposed quota). It was about 60 degrees with a light wind. It took me about 29 minutes for a 9:39 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS

King of PhotoShop

So many comments to make in response to Mariposai and her endurance work and Erika in her 5K effort and others, but I have just a minute for an off-topic rant. May I? I know most of you know me as the anti-dog, no pet curmudgeon, and maybe part of that is to hide my own sensitivity about animals. I love them, and sympathize deeply when they are abused. And I am OUTRAGED about the TV coverage of the Kentucky Derby today. Years ago I wrote a letter to the NY Times, which they printed by the way, about the abuse of animals (after Ruffian was euthanized on the back of the track in her ill-fated race) and why we perpetuate sport that endangers them. My point in that letter was that the track had been rolled hard in the hopes of a faster race. Poor filly. She had no chance in that race no matter the track; what a shame that was. Well, there was nothing unfair about the conditions today, and those thoroughbreds are pampered better than we are, so there are no similar issues. But after the race, where Big Brown ran to an impressive win, the corporate suits, rich owners, and politicians all had their speeches prepared, and not one of them had the presence to say, "and we lost a valiant horse today.." Everything began with, "On behalf of Taco Bell, our sponsor..." or "and the great state of Kentucky..." I wished just one of them would have said, before the mutual approbation, some recognition that a beautiful horse ran her heart out for them and we should all be saddened for her loss. There, I said it. Spareribs
                Did my second-ever 8-miler late this morning. It wasn't pretty, but I finished it, and I felt better after this one than after the first one two weeks ago. Was slower - after the first mile, I was wondering whether it was a complete misnomer to call it running - but last time I ran on the flat boardwalk and today I was doing the hills of my neighborhood. I also was dragging from an exhausting week. OK, so the two (!) beers and junk food after work last night didn't help, either. Roll eyes But I got out there, started, and finished - something I may well have bailed on not that long ago. WRFB - happy belated birthday. Yesterday was my best friend's DHs birthday, too. I'm babysitting their kids tonight. Baby has been screaming almost from the moment I put him in his crib. So far we've had a peeing in the pull-up because I forgot to put a diaper on kid #2 incident and a loud crash that turned out to be a picture frame getting knocked over by kid #1, who is now bawling because he's afraid he's going to get yelled at for breaking the picture frame. I'm not sure whether I'll be invited back to babysit, and if anything else goes wrong, I just might get fired from my role as honorary aunt. Shocked Bob - hope all goes well for Amy. See her freckles in the new photo makes her look even cuter than ever. Good luck with your surgery. Good runs and enjoy the rest of the weekend, all. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Renee the dog

SR, Well said. I didn't see the race today, and might have put it on for the kids to watch if our day went differently. Glad i didn't. Cry Poor filly. It just breaks your heart.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

some really good runs out there today. I finally made it out the door for a recovery 3 miler. No fuss, no muss, no watch. Even stopped and visited with my old high school friend and college roomie. He and his wife was doing yard work. (He was thankful I stopped by...got him out of a little bit of work!) The weather was gorgeous. 60F and no, I repeat, NO wind. That's almost unheard of here in the the great state of OK. Amy is one of the cutest little girls I've seen. Good luck to all racers this weekend.
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                      ...ribbs//......I hate ta tell ya, we didn't have Mint Julips either..........they INVENTED them for the race,,,, ......sorry, it had to be told......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

But I got out there, started, and finished - something I may well have bailed on not that long ago. Eliz
                        That is the true achievement!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."