Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - w/e 11/14 (Read 377 times)

jfa

Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand and melting like a snowflake. Let us use it before it is too late.
    Marie Beynon Raython

Happy Monday everyone. Looking for some gimpy people walking around NYC today but they seem to be undicernable from the masses. Was a great day for the marathon yesterday.

Light weekend of running for me. Kind of tapering for the Monkey but trying to get some hills in too.

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - thanks for starting us off. I swear I've seen that quote recently.  Didn't know you were doing the Monkey, can't wait to hear what you thought.

Leslie -  what a crazy weekend you had! Glad it turned out to be fun after all. I see you've posted a pretty ambitious 2011 over in the swamp - looks good!

Hey to the rest of you. Hope your weekends all went well.

Had a fun crowd over for the Saturday pasta feed chez moi, kept it simple with spaghetti etc. and paper plates. Took it easy yesterday and enjoyed the day - IRC with high 40s at the start and high 50s by the finish, no wind and mostly cloudy. Man, there were a lot of unprepared people! I noticed people around me starting to fade as early as halfway in. But also a lot of fast people - it's a fast course, uncrowded, the weather is almost always perfect, and the price is right - good choice for a fast attempt. They did a much better job separating the half from the full runners this year. As always, the warm sweatshirt at the finish and hot breakfast were much appreciated. The only glitch was that the race organizers started the half 11 minutes early! Some of the contenders to win it were good and angry and I don't blame them! 

Arla

Ex runner

Hey guys/gals.

Arla, nice weekend.  Congrats on anothr 26.2!

Joe.....I've heard lots of things about the flying monkey.  It seems to have a pretty good rep as a great event.  Good luck!

Leslie.....sounds like you all had quite a weekend also.   All that food sure sounds good.  I'd love to try your Hubs cooking.

3 easy miles for me this evening.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Thanks for starting us off, Joe.  You're doing the Monkey?  So is Holly over on the daily.

How'd the race turn out for you, Arla? (Or did you already post this and I didn't see it?).  Yeah, next year's schedule is a bit ambitious.  Sure hope I can make it through.  The hard part right now is finding an appropriate 50-miler attempt for October.  Since I have limited travel time, options are limited. 

Ev, maybe next time I can airlift some food to you. Wink

Today was suppose to be a 15-min of core/ab work day, but I was exhausted from this weekend and couldn't drag myself outta bed.  Also have ended up with quite the kidney infection.  How the heck that happened is beyond me since I drink so much water, but I tell you what, those suckers hurt!  First one I've ever had, that I'm aware, and really don't care to get another one.

Tomorrow will probably be a no workout day since (1) I need to be at work at 7:00, and (2) Karen and I are going to HSU for our body composition workup.  I'm taking my camera, so I'm sure there are going to be some really great pictures. Roll eyes

Okay - Off to do yet even more transcription (why can't these people stay out of trouble?).  Later, gators ~

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Howdy folks!  Wow! it sure has been quiet around here...not that I've helped the chatter levels all that much...

Nice quote Joe! Have fun @ the Monkey...I hear'd there's some karazy peeps @ that one!! You should fit right in! Wink 

Was that a RR, Arla?  You're gettin mighty stingy wid yer werds! Big grin  Ah well, all's good as long as you had fun....so, be it yellow or black? hmmm?

Pretty impressive list you have there for 2011, Leslie! Shocked   I happen to know some regulars @ the Leona Divide...I can't keep up with 'em but, I can hand 'em gatorade!

Sorry Ev!  Your guys had just as awful a wknd as ours did the previous!! Tongue  .....Now, 'bout them cheerleaders!!  Grandpa & I have had to miss 3 of her performances so far this year but have 3 more we def. plan on making! & DS was kind enough to buy us some DVD's of last year!  Smile

Taking a moment on the computer whilst the banana bread is baking...have more baking on the imminent horizon...pre-cooking allows me to be "gone" for extended periods w/o my family living on fast food...well, I guess it is pretty fast for all that to just take it out of the freezer & pop it into the microwave...there's also something "homey" about baking whilst it's snowing outside!  We're shifting into more wintery weather this week...Poor Doug prefers slightly warmer weather than I for running...ie: went for a quick 3 the other night @ about 42*...I thought it was IRC..in short sleeves...HE thought he needed a heavier jacket!! Now, HE has Rim Rock this coming weekend in Fruita...and a good sized snow storm working it's way across the state & significantly cooling things off just in time for said race....*packing his long pants, gloves & hat* ~ I get to work course marshal & finish line Smile

I did get in a quick 2.5 this am, before digging into today's chores...just enough to get warmed up! & antsy to go out for more Sad  mebbe laters - love running in the snow...don't love the wind & sleety stuff!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Queen of 3rd Place

Ev - how ya doin? Looks like life might be keeping you too busy to get much running in.

Leslie - I hope you mean BLADDER and not KIDNEY infection!!!  The body composition workup sounds even scarier than a kidney infection. I think I'd rather not know about my body comp! Re the run - it was uneventful. I think I've finally gotten to the point where running a slow marathon is not a huge deal - this was the first time I've been able to run the very next day.

Easy 4 yesterday, gonna do maybe 6 today - IRC out there.

Arla

Ex runner

Ev - how ya doin? Looks like life might be keeping you too busy to get much running in.

I have been busy, but the lack of running has been pretty much self inflicted.  Howevr, I can feel the mind starting to get right again.  I intend to start ramping up the miles albeit slowly.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Leslie - I hope you mean BLADDER and not KIDNEY infection!!! 

No, it's a kidney infection.  No symptoms leading up to it that were signficantly noticeable, however, after I left the doctor's office, I remember thinking that starting Saturday I seemed to peeing more than usual.  The pain part really hit Sunday, but it wasn't awful, just pretty uncomfortable.  It wasn't until I was driving to work yesterday morning that it dawned on me it might be my kidney.  Sucker still hurts - seems more so when I'm sitting than anything else, with sort of a burning sensation in that area.  (Oh wait - Is all this TMI?? Big grin Wink  I forgot to ask the doc about working out - whether or not it was okay - but I think I'm just going to take it easy the rest of the week.  I'm leaving Thursdsay for Conference, so it's a good week to take a step back - although if I step back much further, I'll be back in couch potatoe mode. Wink

My brother had nothing but kidney problems as a kid.  Has only one that fully functions now.  With all his accidents, etc., I remember one of my parents' biggest concerns was the affect on his kidney.

The Body Comp and VO2 max test.  Unfortunately, due to some change in regulations, this is the last time the University will be able to do the VO test on us because they don't have a physician at the ready.  Any future testing in that regard - they'll stop it at a preordained point based on age.  Bummer.

I'm both satisfied and disappointed by the results.  My lean muscle mass has increased slightly and the body fat decreased slightly, but everything else is pretty much the same as two years ago - give or take a percentage, a point. a pound.  I had hoped things would've improved, but at least there's been no decline.  I stayed on the treadmill for about 10 minutes (same as 2 years ago) and, as always, within a minute or two of giving the stop signal, I was thinking, "I could've gone longer!"  They said everyone feels like that.  However, as Karen said about herself, I'd reach the point of wondering "Am I going to puke or not?"

One of the "questions" they're asking as you run is your perceived pain level.  It's weird because it's not that I was in any pain, but you get to a point of it being highly uncomfortable.  To me, there's a big difference.  Pain = kidney infection.  Uncomfortable = I want this thing out off my mouth so I can breath properly.

This time around, they had the strength conditioning tests, as well.  No big news there - my upper body strength stinks, always has.  Although I was quite surprised that I was able to pull off 15 modified pushups!  They also had us do chest presses, adding approximately 5 pounds for every 2 presses.  I managed to eek out a second press at 70 lbs.  I'm in like the 35% range.  In trying to keep it positive, the students said, "Look at it this way, if there are 100 people in the room doing the test, you bested 35 of them!"  Nice try, guys, nice try.

Also on the positive side, when they had me hyperventilate, everyone was quite impressed by my back muscles.  "Wow!  Look at those muscles!"  "Nice muscles rippling!"  Well, thank you.  Thank you very much!  At least all my hard work is showing up somewhere.

They'll be putting the nutrition info in a computer program and spitting out the results in a day or two.  I know I'm going to be told that I'm lacking in veggies and fruits, but I'm very interested to see what they say about carbs v. protein and my current and anticipated workout schedule.

I'm wondering how being in the "off training season" affects things.  I'd like to go back in about 6 months when I'm in the throws of a training schedule and see if there's any improvement.

Karen took some great pictures, but I'm not on the right computer to post those at this time.  Will do so later.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hoodoo Guru

I'm new on this forum but would like to make two points here. 

1.  The Flying Monkey Marathon is a great event.  Not a big event.  There's no "Rock n Roll" in front of it.  Just a great event.  Nice community, beautiful course, a couple of hills.  I hope to meet some of you there.  RSVP for the pasta and pizza dinner the night before and I guarantee we will meet.

2.  I ran in the Ragnar Tennessee Relay last weekend.  Team Nashville Grand, of which I was the youngest runner at age 51, came in 8th overall out of 150 teams.  What a fun experience.  I'm sure many of you have done relays before.  If you haven't, it can be great fun.

The tangents are moot.

Welcome, Dallas!  I've been reading about The Monkey for a couple of years and sure would like to run it someday.  BTW Joe - This is first we've heard you're running this thing, I do believe.   Secrets - not a nice thing to keep from your family. Evil

Shadowrunner and Joe have run relays, but I don't think (remember if) anyone else has.  I would love to do one someday.  Congrats on your teams placement in the Ragnar!

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Hi guys, quick drive by post. I wrote a novel last week and lost it before I got it posted......grrrrr

Anyway I finished my month of pt and structurally feel like a whole new person or at least certified pre-owned anyway. It is something I need to do for the rest of my life but not everyday of my life just 6 week stints as needed. Finally got back to a 20 mile week, first since August and first 10 miler since August. I know my hip probably has some damage from all my horseback years but it is feeling pretty good now. One of my best friends is having his hip replaced at age 56. He was a touring top 20 pro calf roper and steer wrestler for years, he also rode roughstock before turning pro and a natural athelete in all sports. He has never been over weight and has always been active, and a workaholic after his rodeo days.

Joe have fun at the Monkey, sounds like a racer's race for sure.

Arla its cool to know to say I know a Marathon Maniac even if it is just in Cyberspace. You can run a marathon like just another day at the office......nice

Ev good to see ya, Congrats to OSU beating Baylor. NU did well to come out with the win against ISU, didn't really play bad but injuries had taken toll, even had a running back taking snaps as QB's 1,2, and 3 were out for a bit.

Leslie that sounds like quite the workup, and I call it a moral victory at my age whenever my results are at least as good as last year!!

Cindy, sounds like winter is in full force from now til the wknd in the mtns. Hope it clears enough by Doug's race. Might have to meet up for some ski hill fun. Kinda gonna miss Vegas this yr. but the way things have worked out I don't think we could have gone even though I could probably run it by then but not at any semblance of race pace.

Still pretty busy on the farm trying to take advantage of all the mild weather lately. I have been doing equipment maintenance and cleanup and also doing some dirt work filling the tracks made by the center pivot irrigation tires. We sold all our wheat and 75% of our corn most of it for future delivery from January to next August. We really need another person but I have been reluctant to hire anyone so far besides harvest truck drivers, outsourcing some of the maintenance and mechanic type work that I usually do. 2 peeps on 3000 acres plus doing our own harvesting, spraying, storing and trucking a big part of the grain is getting to be more than we want.

Have a great rest of the week folks.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Hey Jim.....glad the ol' body is responding to the pt.  Congrats on the 20 mile week.....I haven't had one of those in a while either......maybe in a couple weeks.

Leslie's got back......Big grin

jfa

Have fun @ the Monkey...I hear'd there's some karazy peeps @ that one!! You should fit right in! Wink 

Thanks a lot Cindy. You really know how to make a guy feel good.Now get out there and see your DGD because she'll be all grown up before you know it.

Thanks for popping in Dallas. I'm looking forward to meeting you folks next week.Nice job on the relay whoopping them youngsters. I ran my first relay over the summer. 135 seven person teams went 92miles across the state. What a blast it was being on the team.

Arla- marathons are now ho-hum eh? You're kicking some butt with your running.

Leslie- you're in great shape so don't sweat it. How many people can run as far as you? And yea, eat your veggies young lady or no desert for you.

Ev- good to see you out there. Keep gettin it done. Cooling off for you?

Jim- good going on the pt and solid running week. Any plans to go play in the mountains soon?

Easy runs for me this week so far. Lotsa Buddy miles since it cooled off. Going out to do some laps on my "hilly" course today. Those hills in Tenn. scare me almost as much as the Flying Monkeys! Yikes!

Hey, Jim!  Nice to hear from you.  Sounds like you had a good year, deservedly so.  And am happy to hear that PT is making life much bearable and you're able to run again.

Watch out, Joe!  Here come the hills monkeys, ah heck, a great time!

No workout for me this a.m.  My kidney was really hurting last night, so decided not to do anything that might further irritate things.  Instead, I posted a report with pics of yesterday's adventure to my blog.

Leaving tomorrow for Conference.  Won't be taking my laptop, so won't be checking in unless the hotel has a free business center.

Later `

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Dallas - welcome! Those relays sound fun, I keep meaning to put one on the schedule somewhere. One thing I'm curious about is the expense - you have to rent a van and there's travel time, entry fee etc. - I assume this adds up?

Jim - glad to hear that you've done well and are wrapping it up. I am always amazed that the two of you do all that work, it's a helluva thing. Glad to hear the PT is working out. Do you also do massages?

Ev - I think we all have those times where we need a mental/physical break. No point in doing something if your heart's not it in - maybe do something else for awhile or just take it off.

Leslie - dayum, it IS a kidney infection!!! That's pretty serious! Get well soon! enjoyed reading about your evaluation, that looks like fun. However you left out the VO2 test, I would bet that's where you saw the most improvement.

Joe - yeah, you snuck the monkey in, didn't you? Nothing to be afraid of, at least you have some hills to run!

Feeling sproinky today, looks like IRC, going out for 10 - 12...

Arla

Ex runner