Masters Running

April nothing but Fools around here ..... (Read 458 times)

lamerunner

Greetings. Looks like CNY and Holly had a great time.. but I think Connecticut should have stopped scoring at some point... they are impressive though.

8 miles this morning, first early morning run in shorts, and 1500 swim at lunch. The run was ok; swim felt really good.

I got through the Eastern States and it was ok as a training run, ended up at 8:35 pace or so. but it was harder than it should have been. I made the probably dumb move of starting at just under 8 mm pace on pretty tired legs. ran sub 8s for the first five then just could not  keep up the pace. We had a headwind most of the way too, which did not help, and I had donea 20 just the previous week.

My legs were  not sore the next day, but my ankes and tops of my feet were sore and a little swollen, good old RA at work again. I appproach Boston with some trepidation.  My fitness is adequate though training has not been great, but body  seems a but rebellious. We shall see. Rest will be key the next couple of weeks, and low expectations.

Enke, sorry to hear about the thyroid issue.   Are you on  medicine?  It works wonders. I had thyroid issues between kids; hypo after DD born, took meds for five years and through the pregnancy with DS, then became hyperhtyroid and was taken off all the meds. I get tested on occasion but  it has stayed  normal. I hope you get it starightened out.

{{Will}}

Enjoy the nice weather !

My wife has been hinting that it would be nice if I'd rototill the garden so she can plant some early stuff like salad greens and peas.  I'll have to get to it before the hints get a little stronger.

Same here, Tom. I've done a bean tower the last couple of years and now my DW wants to plant peas soon, so I'll have to come up with a trellis for them. And of course that also means getting out the deer fencing material... You must have similar problems with the wildlife (unless people up in the Thumb have just shot them all).

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

You must have similar problems with the wildlife (unless people up in the Thumb have just shot them all).

Wildlife is not cute when they eat your veggies or flowers.  We've let some friends hunt deer on our property and, over the years, they've gotten a number of them.  We've got a fence around our garden which seems to keep the deer out. Last year, we had woodchucks burrow under the fence.  A few appropriately placed cement blocks and shooting one with a .22 seemed to help.  Some years, we've had raccoons get in just as the corn got ripe.  We used to have rabbit problems but the last few years they've been sort of scarce.  I think it's the coyotes in the area that we can give credit for that.  It almost sounds like we're in the wilds.  At least we don't have moose and bears like some of our RA friends.

TomS

Enke, sorry to hear about the thyroid issue.   Are you on  medicine?  It works wonders. I had thyroid issues between kids;

Just started two weeks ago and I haven't noticed anything yet, except occasionally being able to stick my foot out from under the 3 blankets I use at night.  But I was told thyroxine has a long half life and takes awhile to build in your system.

Your race sounded good except for the fast start.  So many folks from this board going to Boston, I think it is a record year!

Tom - wow that is a lot of vermin!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

{{{Baby Will and Baby Will's Parent and Grandparents}}}

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

That is a lot of vermin. Makes my complaining about the voles seem a little silly. But yes, when the moose show up the season is pretty much done for most of it. Time to just hit up the Farmers' Market at that point.

5.7 miles at lunchtime, lots of hills--some big, some little--8:20 avg pace in gorgeous sunny 45° temps. I seriously overdressed for this one; time to break out the shorts for outdoor runs! (or at least a short-sleeved shirt!)

{{Will}} {{Will's parents}} {{Will's Grandma!}}

Henrun

Yes, everyone is quite chatty today-must be the beautiful weather we're finally getting. Went out for a 4.2 mile run early this afternoon in shorts and Boston Marathon T shirt. Very good run. When Marj arrived home on her bike she ws ready to do a short (2.3 miles) run around the local reservoir in her new Vibrams. I felt so good that I decided to accompany her-my first DOUBLE in quite some time. Started out slowly but picked up the pace halfway through. Have a bit of stiffness now-guess more stretching is called for.

tselbs ahh woodchucks!  My DW and I think they are cute!  They are the one critter that eats our plants and we would not chase off!  But I can see how others might not have the same view especially with their vegetable garden!

So just how much rain has fallen around here?  Here is a picture from a nearby street about 36 hours after the rain ceased!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

dg.

wow Twocat.  

was going to say more but my energy left about 1.5 seconds ago.

Jeanne, I saw this link tonight about taping... maybe it really could help more than just relieving symptoms.  not sure if they describe precisely the kind you need.

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/strapping-and-taping.php#role

more BabyWill hugs....

Mariposai

twocat, one could almost take a bath in the water...hey, one way to save money in this hard economic times!!!

hugging baby Will in my thoughts today.

Track workout tonight. I ran to the track, my first visit this year. Then I ran 2x100m striders then: 6x1200m in 6:30; 6:30; 6:27; 6:27; 6:30, 6:22 with 400m intervals. My legs were wobbly when I finished the last one. There was a strong wing, which made keeping pace hard and very tiring. 11 miles for the day. Then I came home and gobble up half the fridge.

onwards towards Wenatchee marathon!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Speaking of gobbling up the fridge - we had an association meeting tonight and our president - who is excellent baker - had made these litte peanut butter cookies that were cradling miniature peanute butter cups.  OH - - MY!!  I think I ate 4 of them, as well as my salad and baked tater.   Cripes, they were good.  Missing out on her baking will be a big drawback of not being on the board anymore.  Told her I may just sneak by the meetings just to test out whatever she's made.  Her scones - Mmmmmmmmmmm. (wiping the drool from my chin. . . )

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Mariposai

yummie!! Leslie! Hey that SOB race sound fun. Maybe next year. This year my time for racing is very limited. BTW, where is your home base.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Home base is Eureka, CA.  We're about 1.5 hours south of the CA/OR state line.  San Fran is about 6 hours south of us, and Portland, OR, is about 8 hours north of us.  Ashland's about 3.5 hrs away.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

just slipping in a quick post before i crawl into bed! 

long day.........up for 7:30mass in florida, spoke with Bill on the phone - very cool......walked over 2 miles with dh along the beach then ran solo for about 1.7 miles barefoot!!  spent the afternoon with justin - really hated to leave him.........flew home and am so ready to crash right now!!          will catch up later!

denise

SteveP

(((((Baby Will)))))

SteveP