Masters Running

Tuesday 5/3/22 Stormy Runs and Workouts (Read 36 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

'Come on, Tammy!  If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room! 

Snork!

I must admit that I am surprised that the only people in my immediate family, including my kids, my siblings & families, my dad, or my DH's siblings & families and mom, or my kids' SOs and their families, have gotten Covid (that we know of), with the exception of my younger brother's children (my brother and his wife were vaccinated, but this was before teens and children could get vaccinated).  And DH and I were going into our offices to work for almost the entire time.  As many have said, maybe we all have had it and had no symptoms.

Speaking of which, I actually took one of our home tests for Covid yesterday, because lately I Just. Have. No. Energy.  (It was negative.)  I always said, if only I had time off work, I would get all these things done around the house, but now that I am off work, I am almost paralyzed with malaise and low-energy, and have to force myself to do much of anything.  Depression?  Lack of fitness?  Lack of HRT?  Who knows?  The Wellbutrin I have been taking for a week doesn't make any difference that I can tell, but I guess I need to give it more time.  I need to actually get back to work to remove a lot of the feelings of worthlessness that come with being unexpectedly jobless, but so far I have not had any real offers.

Just 20 minutes on the recumbent bike this morning, followed by voting and grocery shopping and a few minor household chores....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Tammy,  I really enjoyed that race at Lost Creek Lake, and camping there was fun too. And hanging out with you and Leslie at our campsite afterwards was the best part!  Bummer you had to cancel the camping because of carpy weather - hope the race day weather cooperates.   And if not, at least it's "only" 30k!

Leslie, hope the MRI results are promising.

Holly, sending hugs.  Not running and being between jobs would be depressing for anyone!

I went out for 3 easy miles on a gorgeous cool sunny day.  My left hip feels a little tweaky - hopefully it's nothing.  It felt totally fine during and after my race.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MurrayM

20K...easy breathing pace...around town in both directions with 800' of elevation gain...5C (41F) with steady rain/wind.

Still running 3 days a week and have moved up into the 40 miles per week club again. My body much prefers 3 days per week instead of the 5 I was doing a while back!

Our family has two people we were trying to protect from Covid; my MIL who is in her 80's and a BIL who is immunocompromised.

My MIL got Covid a couple weeks ago, but it was a glancing blow because she's fully vaccinated and it was the variant which prefers the upper respiratory tract. The BIL has either avoided Covid or lucked out with being asymptomatic and didn't know he had it.

evanflein

Holly, you've had some very stressful events in your life the last few months. Please give yourself some grace to have some "down time," although I understand the feeling of wallowing in it. It's hard for anyone to be limited in what they can do, and especially hard when you're used to being so active (ask me how I know...). And having all that free time in front of you can feel like staring into a void. It can be a little overwhelming. But just pick a few things to get done and look ahead. How'd your foot handle the little test run the other day?

To my knowledge, we (DH and I) have never had COVID. We've tested a few times, mostly after trips. But I agree with Stumpy that this has been a good time for introverts! DH worries about me sometimes that I could happily stay at home and avoid other people for way too long. The hardest part lately is my one big release (running) has been off the table. Heck, I can barely walk more than a few hundred feet. But the COVID rate around here is still pretty high and we always mask up going into businesses or stores. As in, N95 and KN95 masks. Protecting my 90 year old mom and almost 95 year old dad have been top priority, and since I take them to appointments and do their shopping for them, I am always careful.

DH and I got our second boosters late last week and had no side effects other than a sore arm for a day. That's all.

I've been going to PT (the pool sessions are great!), driving my parents to appointments (per above), and dealing with water in our basement apartment (one bedroom is soaked) and even seeping into the garage (after all that work to prevent such a thing last fall). This was a very heavy snow year, made worse from that record-setting rain we got the day after Christmas. Everything is still wet and muddy. And the mosquitoes are out. I really don't like spring. But, I've been going to the rec center to ride the recumbent bike and doing my weight workouts (sometimes) at home, and keeping busy with who-knows-what all else fills in the day.

I could happily stay at home and avoid other people for way too long.

(raising her hand and waving madly) That's me!  I always tell DH that I'm my own best company and don't need to interact with other folks. Unless you're talking about grandkids - that's a totally different thing!   Hang in there Holly - Erika is right. When you think of all the things on your "to do" list, you'll definitely feel overwhelmed. Just go for one or two every day and enjoy the feeling of accomplishing them. I hope the meds will help, and good luck with your job situation.

Stay well Stumpy.

Take care of that "tweaked hip" Carolyn. I saw your FaceBook pictures. Baby Levi is getting big!

We must be all suffering from the same weather pattern. Honestly, I think it rained nearly every day in April, and May is off to the same start. Plus, it's been super windy and below normal temperature wise. Rain, wind and 45 degrees here today. DGS#1 has his first track meet tonight. He's running the 100 and 200 races. I'm putting on my rain boots, winter coat, hat and gloves to watch him run. Those poor kids.

45 minutes on the elliptical this morning, 10 minutes on the Matrix "stairway to hell" and 20 minutes of weights and core. We binge watched "Ozark" to the end of the series last night. A very unsatisfying ending...

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

64F

5 miles

58:07

64F

1.3 miles walk home with the rs

Looks like the swampy weather is sneaking in. Wore a skirt and short sleeved shirt and wished I had a no sleeved shirt before I turned up Pasbehegh.  Inhaled a bug by the park and coughed and spit my way to the swamp.

I could hear Evie and her chipper friend chatting effortlessly behind me for over a half mile before they passed me on the trail. I watched their pony tails sway to the rhythm of their run. They were friendly as they passed me. Another runner was coming toward us as all this was going on and I thought, "Wow. It sure is crowded when you leave the house a half hour late." heh heh heh.

Out of the woods and onto the trail that bisects the farmer's field, I saw the previous runner plodding toward me again.  I had just turned my head to look at the breathtaking sunrise and I said to her, "Oh man, I should have run the other direction!" If you squint, you can see her running away from me and near the sole tree.

I finished my 5 miles running on the Capital Trail parallel to route 5.  I thought I had reached under the back of my shirt to reposition a tag that was causing a chafe....however. Apparently I was reaching under my skirt and practically mooning the commuters on route 5.

Never did fix the tag. Which was painfully obvious when the shower hit the wound this morning.

The joys of running in a swamp.

And, Although I could never be accused of being an introvert, I second Jeanne's  grandbaby emotion. Mondays with David are the best.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

wildchild

Carolyn

RCG, I love your pictures!  That sunrise was gorgeous, and your grandson is so cute! You live in a beautiful area.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Oh my gosh. Wild your photos are supremely beautiful!

Loved your race report and photos!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Covid is definitely an interesting beast!! I know so many people who have had 1 or more people in their household positive yet other members continue to test negative. I have been part of a covid study and submitted my most recent blood drops about a month ago - no antibodies and have not really been sick in well over 2 years so I can say with pretty good certainty I haven't had it. So interesting - and thankful my recent fun in Nashville doesn't seem to have changed that status.

.8 mile walk to the hospital and .8 mile walk back - going to do a couple of quick Peleton workouts now. Off tomorrow so of course it is supposed to rain all day - might have to break Rule #1 as I really need to get in a run altho I guess I could resort to the treadmill while I still have access to the apartment gym 

denise

4.3 ez miles, with strides.

Still have a PF feeling on both feet, but it's not so bad that it makes me stop, or limp. The calf pain from presumed tear is still present, but fading. I'm really looking forward to doing some long runs on the trails soon! 10-12 miles a week is leaving me apathetic. After the track meet this weekend, I can "risk it" and go over to Mt Tam for a long run; if I make something worse, so be it, it's not like I'll be preparing for a race.

It was kind of stormy here as well, as I came around the bluff on my regular route I was hit with a headwind of at least 10mph, and the temp dropped from 70 to about 65 as I ran alongside to the Bay.  I guess that's good preparation for the 50 degrees and raining weather I'll be seeing in Eugene on Saturday.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

TammyinGP

6 miles tonight after work.

Tammy

SteveP

Ugh - The computer ate my post again.

I got 5 in and planted 5 American hazelnut trees.

SteveP