Masters Running

The Ides of Oct. - 10.15.16 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sorry about the storms, Starr. It's always wise to go out for ice cream after a tornado watch. I hope you made it out of there before the next round of storms.

It's great to have Deeze back running again! Nice pick-ups yesterday.

Sounds like good hunker-down and make pies weather, Enke.

Somebody has to have nice weather, Aamos. Nice 5K.

I guess somebody else has to have nice weather too, Holly. Congrats on the new pool record! You're becoming a swimming machine.

Good 5K for you too, Stumpy. I'm sure DW will appreciate having you around and helping while she recovers from her knee surgery. And you'll appreciate it when she can take up her household jobs again...

Did you decide on your goal for your next race, Lori? Always a tough decision.

Good luck in the SoNo Half today, Twocat! Looks like you've got about perfect weather for it.

Good 4.8 miler in great weather, Evanflein. I'm jealous for your nighttime auroras.

I finally got my knots untied (so to speak...), and went out this morning in 36F temps under clear skies with a breeze from the NE and a setting, near-fool moon that helped to light up the landscape. I kept adjusting my route based on how I was feeling, but probably went a little too far because I had nothing left in the tank when I got home after 11.5 RW miles. Still, it was a nice start to the day.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

40 minutes on the ARC trainer this morning.

Probably going to head to my first Marshall football game today.  Going to put aside my dislike of crowds and get some fresh air.

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning!  I started my day with a tough workout with the team.  Have I ever told you how much I love those kids?  Man, they're cool.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Jay - 36 degrees - I am just not ready for that yet....

Aside from shuttling DD around to her friend's and back and to the Freshman football game, I have been waging war on the weeds in my flowerbeds and garden, digging up the remaining carrots, and attending to various household chores. Where does all this dust come from?

5 miles for me this morning in 54 degrees, followed by 30 minutes or so of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Hoped for 15 but bonked so I stopped at 12.5. I'm good with that. Beautiful weather today. But I  really need to figure why I'm bonking around mile 11-14.

I've decided my goal for next year will be to try to reclaim some of my lost speed and go for a Fast for me marathon vs ultra. So I'm strongly leaning toward Bayshore. My pr is from there and is a nice course. So ya. ☺

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

evanflein

Lori, I ran Bayshore this year and it was hot (for me) but yes it's a nice course. I go thru phases where I just can't seem to run long (as in, over 10), but it seems to pass and soon can start building miles again.

Chilly day here! We went to the hockey game last night and the walk back to the car afterwards was cold with that wind. Built a fire in our firepit last night and it just wasn't as much fun when you get cold from the wind. It wasn't even that hard but enough to really chill you down. So, today looks better although the temps are in the 30's today. I'm going to do some fiddling around here, then run to DH's office to pick up the car and go to the rec center for a shower, then shopping then home. We've gotten pretty efficient with getting everything done like that. Tonight is our running club's awards banquet and I'm making an apple cake for my contribution to the potluck. These are the apples my friend up the hill grew, and it'll be fun to see how they work for this! <gotta find the recipe, to...>

Mariposai

Good morning gang.

I am so sorry that Star had such a bad weather while her visit to Oregon.

Holly, you are making me feel like a sloth. I have done nothing around the house so far. Nice to see you running well again.

Lori, tomorrow will be a better day. Nice goal for 2017. Bayshore, watch out, here comes Lori.

Erika, you sure recover from your marathon so fast. Enjoy your weekend!

MikeE, it was so great seeing you last weekend. You inspired us by your love and dedication to running. It was cool to meet your son as well. He is one cool kid.

Jay, your description of the near full moon is lovely. Nice 11 miles.

Dave, enjoy the crowd and the fresh air Smile

Enkie, how are you fairing the rain in Seattle? Tetsujin, you too.

Leslie, are you and Shorty back to CA? Once again, thanks for coming to Portland. It was magnificent to see you.

Denise, glad to see you back at running.

RCG, butterfly hugs to you dear sistahh.

Well, true to my plan, I took the whole week off from running to let the body rest up. Today I went for a nice and easy 6 miler, then I came home I decided to give myself with one hour of gym diva time.

Now off to my little girlfriend Emma's third birthday party.

Carpe Diem, mis amigos

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

me too sorry starr didn't get any sunny days in a whole week out in the PNW.

However, the rest of the week makes Sunday's damp marathon

seem not as bad as it could have been or if compared to many past ones,

e.g. 2006 Seattle Boomer Reunion Marathon with in snow, sleet and wind

that had most runners looking like Mt. Everest expeditions, and feeling like it too.

Glad posie got back through it all to drier, but colder, hometown climes.

Did you ever warm up from the heavier rain and wind

you faster runners encountered on the St. John's Bridge?

Did mikeE tell his runners the truth about Portland?

Did leslie and shorty survive Glacier National Park without bear spray?

However, no matter what, it's nothing like the Columbus Day Storm of 1962

experienced while at the UW that the weathercasters who weren't here then

are trying to compare this weekend too.

I'm not but, it I was, I'd sure rather be running in it than watching football.

no wonder we love the reports from the rest of the country

where fall weather is like it's supposed to be.

ps - is SoNo the opposite of North/South?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Good morning gang.

I am so sorry that Star had such a bad weather while her visit to Oregon.

Holly, you are making me feel like a sloth. I have done nothing around the house so far. Nice to see you running well again.

Lori, tomorrow will be a better day. Nice goal for 2017. Bayshore, watch out, here comes Lori.

Erika, you sure recover from your marathon so fast. Enjoy your weekend!

MikeE, it was so great seeing you last weekend. You inspired us by your love and dedication to running. It was cool to meet your son as well. He is one cool kid.

Jay, your description of the near full moon is lovely. Nice 11 miles.

Dave, enjoy the crowd and the fresh air Smile

Enkie, how are you fairing the rain in Seattle? Tetsujin, you too.

Leslie, are you and Shorty back to CA? Once again, thanks for coming to Portland. It was magnificent to see you.

Denise, glad to see you back at running.

RCG, butterfly hugs to you dear sistahh.

Well, true to my plan, I took the whole week off from running to let the body rest up. Today I went for a nice and easy 6 miler, then I came home I decided to give myself with one hour of gym diva time.

Now off to my little girlfriend Emma's third birthday party.

Carpe Diem, mis amigos

Posie

Amen to everything Posie said here! I am so glad I got to meet everyone in Portland.  What a fine group of runners, cooks and companions we are!  MikeE, yes it was great to meet Ryan too.  He seems to have found his place there in that city.

I actually had sunshine on Mon/tue in Portland and Wed. on the drive to Manzanita. I had a lovely walk/run on the beach before the rain and storms started on Thursday.  Man, I will never complain about the Midwest winds again! I still can't believe that there was a tornado six blocks from our house there!

MrStarr picked me up in Sioux Falls at 1:00 then we did a bit of shopping.  I love Costco and Kohl's, you would not believe how much I saved (and spent) there.  Supper at Texas Roadhouse was mid afternoon Portland time.  I am so glad to be home and was blessed with a lovely walk with MrStarr and a beautiful sunset viewed from out on the dock.  The geese are starting to migrate, love that too!

Tomorrow afternoon I have tickets for DD#1 and I to see Lorie Line, a pianist from Minnesota who performs across the country.  We have seen her holiday shows several times. Tomorrow she is performing at our small little Bible Camp near here. It's been a long day since I was up at 2AM . Sure hope I sleep well tonight. Maybe a run before church tomorrow.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Starr in Minnesota (finally)

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mike E

MM #5615

Welcome home, Starr!

tetsujin209 it stands for South Norwalk. A play on SoHo in NYC, which stands for South of Houston Street.

Finished the SoNo half in 1:37:44. That is 1:38:31 almost two weeks ago in the Ridgefield HM. My SoNo time was also good enough for second in the 55-59AG. You had to go to this table to see if you were in the top three and pick up your plaque. I go there and ask if I am in the top 3. I tell the guy I am in the 55-59 AG. I give him my name and he rifles through his papers and says no. Curious I ask what the third place time was. He, clearly annoyed, say these are the names and see here is the age group. I point out that is the wrong AG he has there. I am in the 55-59. He says this is the list and tries to dismiss me. I again, now more insistently, tell him that is the wrong AG I am in the 55-59AG. His colleague then comes over and now the two of them look on the page and try to find the 55-59AG. Problem is that page ended at the 50-54AG.  Now the first guy finally gets out the page with the 55-59AG where I spot my name. I point to it and say that is me. He looks says congratulations and finally gets me my plaque.  I know some of you here have a huge collection of these things. But I am lucky to win one every other year. I am not going to give my one piece of hardware for the year so easily!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Wow -- Oregon's only tornado in Gosh-knows-when and Starr visits and barely misses it!

Tetsujin, I remember the sleet at the '06 Seattle Half.  At the finish line I ducked into a cab before I got hypothermia...  Felt guilty & indulgent (the hotel was only 10 blocks away) but it was totally worth it.

enke, a lot of people are griping here about the race being .5 mile too long.  Not sure how the race organizers screwed that up....

My mom and I loved seeing everyone!  You all have inspired me.  Tomorrow, rain or shine, I'll run 8.

Twocat, I've found that the older you are, the less interested the RD's are about getting your AG results right  (or even reporting the older categories at all).  Not that we're old, of course...just more likely to be forgotten in the hubbub of the race.  grrrr.  If we all speak up when this happens, they'll learn.

In about 1982, I ran a 10k in Eugene and waited patiently afterwards in the stands for the announcement of the women's results.  Turns out they had no results for the women -- it hadn't occurred to the RD that anyone would need that info.  To me, the situation is analogous.

PS congrats -- nice time!

evanflein

In about 1982, I ran a 10k in Eugene and waited patiently afterwards in the stands for the announcement of the women's results.  Turns out they had no results for the women -- it hadn't occurred to the RD that anyone would need that info.  

Wow, this is just amazing. Really? The things we take for granted now.

At Hartford, I went up to the results table, not realizing what it was, because they had rows and rows of brass bells on the counter. I asked what the bells were for, and they asked what my age group and name was. I told them, and they handed me a bell and said "congratulations! You got second in your age group!" DH and I just laughed, because I've been 2nd in my marathons all year and it just seemed funny. We still haven't figured out what the significance of the bell is.

Welcome home, Starr. We've been watching the weather in WA and OR the last few days and yeah, pretty incredible. When we left Raleigh Durham on Wednesday, we were told the weather might cause problems with our connecting flight, but it was fine. The storm hit after we were already home.

Ran 9.2 miles today, 8:15 average pace but it was almost a progressive pace run, starting in the mid-8:30's and ending in the 8:05's to 8:08's. Felt fine if not particularly sproinky. I did notice a lot of traffic today, and had to stop at almost every intersection after I hit the expressway bike path after 4 miles. That's what I get for getting out later than planned, but I was hoping it would warm up a bit more. Never did, and it barely hit 30° while I was out there.

I should add that women's times were included in race results at the time -- it's just that this race screwed them up (all women!) and the race organizers were surprised when a few people asked about the women's times.  So yeah, we cared.

And we care about my mom's age category in her 5ks, and we cared about the Masters Women team in a recent relay I did (for winning the category, we all got pint beer glasses, so a lot was at stake!).  And so on.  My age category is usually correct but my mom's category was often MIA.

rant over!  Have a great Sunday, everyone!  Sorry for posting on the Saturday thread!