Masters Running

31st annual Stratton-Faxon 20k race, New Haven, CT (Read 253 times)

Fascinating report. You learned something more about your pacing, and have the advantage of comparing it to Iron J, which is useful since you know her speed and strength vs. yours. I'd say the questions you have are good ones, so long as you keep it positive the way you are. Better to wonder if you could have pushed it a tad more as you sit there still healthy with the Oct. marathon in sight, than to have gone totally full-tilt and be lying there with say an 8th in your age group but trashed and hurt and wondering if you're going to make it to the Oct. race. It's all a balancing act, or so it seems, no? Steady on to the goal, then! grins, A ps: and Elva came in 2nd....must learn more about this Jill! Elva's a great favorite out this way.
    Masters 2000 miles
    evanflein

I think it's a good thing that you didn't leave it all out there on the course. Stop doubting yourself and enjoy the good work you did! Sometimes runners, especially the fast talented runners, don't appreciate when they've really performed well. If you'd been training just for this race all summer, then you would've given it maximum effort. But this is a step along the way, right? Sounds like a good day all around with friends, family and nice weather.
        Nicely done Karin. I agree with Erika. It was a tune-up for the main event, not the place to leave it all on the course. You will shine at Bay State. Dream big - no limits! Skip

Marathon Maniac #957

Excellent race, Karin, and I am another that loves to hear the details. I learn something from each of your race reports. Getting to finish with your friend, too - how cool is that? Great race and report!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

Karin, You're an intelligent and powerful runner. I enjoy how technical your RR is. It sounds like a fun race.

SteveP

Very well done indeed Karin, you ran a great race especially considering this is a trial run for your upcomng marathon. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your race report and love how very detailed you were...it makes it so easy to imagine running right there along with you. Great job and good luck at Bay State in October. Big grin I may have to bag NY this year (it doesn't look like Joel is going to be ready) and if so I am considering running Bay State again. I ran my PR there a couple of years ago two weeks after running Maine.
                Great racing Karin, and a super job of training overall. Boy, you sure DO have a huge base! Expecting good things from you in upcoming marathon.
                Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

King of PhotoShop

Finally getting to this. During marathon training you know that you should expect to be somewhat tired, or leg-weary through all of it and the good idea you had was to simply pick a number, 7:10, that you believe you could handle for 12+ miles. This is the right way to approach a race of this type inside of a bigger program. To me, once you choose 7:10 you have only one goal, run 7:10's the whole way, which I see you succeeded in doing. All that stuff about pace variations, beating so and so, or your OA finish place then become irrelevant. You are so ready for October. Well done. Spareribs
                    I also read this earlier but just getting back on here... now not sure what to say other than ask, what secret potion has that sneaky Spareribs been sliding over to you on your visits? You've worked hard this summer and boy it is sure great to see it paying off even in your training races. Yes, indeed, you are very ready for marathon day. Hugs, Krista
                    Mariposai

When I grow up I wanna be like you!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great race sistahhhhhhh. You are going to rock in your upcoming marathon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard