Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 3.19.17 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

We lost another icon with Chuck Berry's passing yesterday. I can only imagine how much people were shocked, even outraged, when he came along. But he sure made some great music, and influenced a lot of musicians who came after him, didn't he? Thanks, Chuck!

Saturday’s spectacular workouts:
    Tomwhite (40 min. pool run with an iffy back)
    RunnerKSA (3.1 outside rainless miles)
    BerthaSlayer (20 got-lost out-and-back miles)
    Twocat ( 1 hr. on the elliptical)
    Spacityrunner (4 miles with hillage and no water belt in 80° temps)
    Holly (6.6 miles in windy 40° temps)
    Catwhoorg (6 easy miles + 20 pull-ups in the playground)
    Mike (10.6 miles)
    Dave (3 morning miles)
    Stumpy (3.2 hard-working miles)

So great to hear from Tselbs! Stay in touch - we miss you - running or not. Congrats on DD’s baby girl coming this summer. And thanks to Steve for letting Tom know we missed him.

Sorry about the knee flare, Tramps, but I’m glad you are taking some time off for it to heal up a bit. Interesting “quota” story. I’d also like to hear about the NYC ‘slumlord’ story, if it’s not too scary!

So, HopesMom, Twocat’s soda bread was OK? Delurk anytime…

BerthaSlayer - tough to get lost on an out-and-back!

Good luck today, Twocat. And I hope the mailbox fix holds long enough.

Good luck to Tet too, in today’s half.

Be careful in those high temps, Spacityrunner. Takes some getting used to, doesn’t it?

Congrats to DD in her first lacrosse game, Holly. Sounds like it was pretty exciting.

Scary times in Minneapolis, Mike!

It’s always tough to end a visit with family, Dave. Get home safely.

Pretty scary when a restaurant has to have an armed guard to protect the food, Stumpy!

DW and I got a gift cert. to Barnes & Noble for Christmas, so yesterday we went, browsed for a while, bought a couple of books, and sat in the cafe and chatted over a pair of cappuccinos. Nice way to spend an hour or so on a Saturday afternoon.

OK - I'm heading out to this morning's racewalking training session. I'm going early so I can get in a few laps on the indoor track before the rest of the folks arrive. I'm behind my pace bunny for the month, so I have some ground to make up.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning everyone,

I so appreciate your recap, Jay. You are so kind to include everyone in your comments.  I hope I get to meet you someday.

So, I didn't get around to posting yesterday but Hiya Tom Selbs! It was great to hear from you.  I remember you were struggling with your mojo to get out to run.

I never know if I should post my run from the previous day here or on that thread.  Anyway, my longest run since Portland in October. 7 miles on a improvised route around the lake and then some.  I entered a 10 mile race that is in three weeks. With no running in January and 23 miles in February, I need to get running. The next two Saturdays will be 8 and 9 mile runs so I know I can do it, but every so slowly.

On my way to church in a bit, then interviews via Skype with two candidates for the Pastor of Worship/Youth position.

Have a good day, we are going to be in the 60's today, yeah! (oh, yeah, I'm in meetings until 3:30).  Maybe MrStarr and I will go for a walk. We saw the Mel Gibson movie "Hacksaw Ridge" last night. Wow, that is an unbelievable true story. The movie was good, but graphic in the same way he did "Passion of the Christ", hard to watch.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

...mornin' guys.......

===============

stumpy's motel story

reminded me of one

we actually

checked into a hotel in Memphis Sunday Morning  WHILE it was on fire

a 3-day Wedding

we attended had

reserved rooms for the guests,

meanwhile,

the Hung-Over guests from the Batchelor Party the night before had been evacuated

to a nearby Mall,

where someone was practicing TheBagpipes

other than that, we all had a really Good Time

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

meanwhile,

the Hung-Over guests from the Batchelor Party the night before had been evacuated

to a nearby Mall,

where someone was practicing TheBagpipes

This just made my day. bahahahahaha

anyway, 6.1 mile recovery run today that probably wasn't a true recovery run because I got a little giddy at my slow but fast first mile and pushed myself to make the run a progression run with a really fast for me last mile. But I wanted to see what I could do the day after a 20. Oh. And today I did not get lost. lol

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

It' is good to see you Mr. Tom. When I see you again, we should have ice cream.

Tramps, how exciting to live where you can chase bugs all the time!!

Miss. Bertha, My dad gets lost in the yard. I always get him back to the truck.

TwoCat, The people that drive those big big trucks call the mail boxes "targets".

Hi Holly!!!

Dave59, Mom likes it when the little kids live close. They get all the treats and attention. So I like it when they leave.

When it was yesterday, I went over and brought Mia home. We made Dad take us for a bye bye ride and to go run run run!!

Mia is my bestest friend ever.

We looked for a new special trail and Dad got lost lots. Me and Mia didn't think we would ever get to stop.

But we did and we had fun fun fun!

We stopped at a sign. Dad told us we were going where there are monsters!.

All we saw were big dumb trees  that went way up high.

We got some place where there were lots of sticks in a big big pile. And there were trees laying down that got a lot of chewing on them.

Dad said that beefers did that. Mom will be mad because they made a mess all over.

They used a whole lot of sticks made some damn thing. The damn thing makes the water not go in the creek and they beefers get to keep it all so the can go swim when ever they want. That's too much like having a bath to be fun.

What a waste of sticks!

We got to go run run run 4 miles. What ever a mile is. We had lots of fun. I asked Dad to take us for ice cream. But he forgot. I was a little sad but I think the old guy forgets.

Sniffing Butts, Tag

TomS, if you are here again today, welcome back! I was just asking about you a few weeks ago; you're one of the CoolRunning originals and the first whom I met up at the Crim many years ago. Glad to hear you're doing well and hope that you "rediscover" your running mojo someday.

Ran another 6 around the lake this morning, but sore and sluggish from the run on Friday. I think that I pushed it a bit too much after the "long" layoff: only two weeks, but enough to feel it! I think I'll wait until Wednesday to run again so I'm reasonably prepared for next Saturday's 5K (not going to be even an age-appropriate PR, I'm sure).

Anyone racing today?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Struggled to even get started on today's run, but I did.  11 miles faster than I want to be doing these longer runs, but it's done.  At least it was sunny!    Need to find the motivation to build up distance for my June marathon.    Happy Sunday, all!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

C-R

Hey everyone,

Long full week business trip that covered 1500 miles of driving and flights to and from Florida. Ugh. Did manage to maintain the running streak which was nice. 5 recovery miles today.

TomS posted? Excellent. Hope things are well.

Great pics Avenger Doggie.

I'm with you RKSA. Sometimes it takes a few miles to get into it.

Tax time today. Speaking of procrastinating.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

Nice pics, Avenger Doggie!

20.1 miles for me today in 36-44 breezy degrees.  A shower, a nap, now I am working to make up the work I missed.  For Phoenix, I took 16 hours of PTO so I could take Friday and Monday off, but then ended up working 13 hours of it back.  I will likely have my Jamaica PTO worked back as well.  What's the point of PTO again?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

TW--love the hotel story.

Good to see Avenger Doggie.  Those beavers are industrious, aren't they.

As a kid and teen, Chuck Berry was kind of old fashioned music to me. It was only later that I learned to appreciate how innovative he had been and I discovered some of the more sophisticated music, like "Blue Feeling." But the tightly-crafted, straight-ahead rock 'n' roll he created really was brilliant. RIP.

We got much needed rain all last night and into this morning, so I delayed my run until mid-day.  13 miles on the rail trail.  Knee wasn't thrilled but held out.  I'll put it on ice this afternoon.

Be safe. Be kind.

tetsujin209 nothing like a well designed over or under pass to inspire a run! 

spacityrunner man could I go for 80° right about now!

Holly S. nice job by your DD. Well, I guess you get another few days off then!

Mike E good luck with the job search. I sure hope something comes through for you.

Dave59 nice to be able to put together a joint birthday party.  My DW and her BFF do that since their birthdays are just a day apart.

stumpy77 nice surprise on the pace there! I hear you are now so fast you should rejoin the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club this September! You know we need people that can keep up with the transportation. 

coastwalker book? As in glued together pieces of paper book?  I have avoided those like the plague since I got my Nook. My DW still gets those bound paper things though.

Starrruns hey I know how you can meet coastwalker! Join the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club's Ragnar Reach the Beach Relay team for this September's race. Not only will you meet coastwalker but you will also visit his house (he lets us rendezvous there pre race and then shower and eat post race). Want to join? Just send me a note. I am happy to answer any questions and twist your arm!

tomwhite personally I try to avoid hotels in the process of burning down. But that is just me.

BerthaSlayer not get lost? What fun is that?

Avenger Doggie a better description of the view taken by the town snow plow driver has never been barked out! You look very happy with your friend Mia in those pictures. Glad you survived your encounter with giants. They can be either really nice or really mean.

rochrunner I was supposed to do a 4 mile race today, but they postponed it to next week due to a snow "storm" that never hit.  Storm is way to strong for what was even predicted. I am normally in favor of RDs being ultra cautious about winter running conditions and postponing races, but this was just ridiculous. Plus they now created a conflict with another race in the same town next week.

Tramps good move. As rule #1 states, "No running in the rain!"©

I managed to run 19 miles today with 5 at MP. Can somebody explain to me why running 5 at MP seems like a Herculean task when just a few weeks ago I ran faster than that in a 25k race? What is it about trying to do MP miles outside of a race that makes them so tough? 

While my mailbox repair job photo is not as inspiring as those posted by Avenger Doggie here it is for the interested (likely nobody). This just has to hold up until the ground thaws and a new post can be put in. I think there is a pretty reasonable chance it will hold.

<P. S. RA is truly awful on a cell phone!>

I have metal straps like the two you see here on every side. While I was putting them on I kept thinking how much easier and faster this would be if I just had some power tools. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Holly, do you have another marathon coming up?

Nice to see TomS pop in the other day (yesterday?). Tom, you have been missed around here!

Love the Avenger Doggie posts with pictures! Nice to have a friend to run with, right?

Was never a big Chuck Berry fan but I can appreciate his work and impact on American music.  Sad to see another icon pass.

Twocat, that looks like it'll hold. You screwed those in by hand?? Have you decided on a marathon yet? Those miles are getting up there!

Starr, I sure hope we can post prior day's runs in the current day's thread because I frequently think I posted but turns out I didn't. Sort of jumps out when my workout isn't in the Jay recap! Smile  Yesterday I did my hour run (7 miles in 61 minutes) even though I wanted to stop at 5.5 miles. It really is incredible how fast your running fitness fades away, even when you're working out every day. I stayed on the treadmill because yesterday was another day of bright sunshine that looked warm but definitely wasn't. March is a difficult month for us. Lots of sunshine but it's still cold out.

This morning it was -2° at our house, which is the warmest it's been in the morning in a long time so I'm hoping we might be seeing a warming trend.

DH and I went to Hidden Figures last night at the Blue Loon. So nice to see a good movie with a burger and a bottle of Syrah.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Taking a rest day today.

Well still doing stuff round the house, but my body is saying it needs a break.

25 successive days running, I think i can take today off.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Nice and nippy miles (34-degrees at 7:30 a.m. start) in the first sunny day I've seen this year In the annual half marathon I first ran in 1996 when I "retired" down to Seattle but in the regular walking division for the first time this time. Tried for an ultra-like 15m/m that would get me back in time to see the end of the morning's first BB game and I did as the "champions-of-the-west" (in those days) won a thriller against a higher-ranked team.

Got to mile nine in the same time it used to take for the whole thing. Oddly enough, I'm just as tired as in running days, if not more, and just as happy, if not more.

If this is what it is like, I could kind like that first rule of running, after all.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

spacityrunner

4 miles under the blazing hot sun again...80f and twocat you can have it.  After yesterdays hills, I headed to the flat nature trail for todays run.  The last mile was ugly...very ugly...but got it done!  Hot  and sweaty...what happened to winter 

Trails Rock!