Masters Running

40's / 50's and beyond~ On the Run (Read 427 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - I was thinking about you as I went through, mostly thoughts like "dayum it's hilly here, no wonder she's in such good shape!"  Seriously, I didn't see anything that looked even a little flat, I don't know how you run there, it must all be straight up and down all the time. 

Woods Lady - I'll be darned, I was at Heceta Beach, just a couple miles away from you! There was a hotel right on the beach, the billboards sucked me in, and it was a great bargain. You live in a lovely area, except for that tsunami thing...

Ev - You're a hoot! Next time you sleep under a bar, may I recommend a room? The folk band was just a few locals, I doubt if they go anywhere. The bassist was playing a metal tub with a stick, and strung from the tub to the top of the stick was a rope that he plucked. It sounded good! I was impressed. 

No run today, I wanted to get to the Canadian border, and of course Friday afternoon from Portland, OR to north of Seattle was traffic, traffic, traffic. Got to Bellingham, WA, at 8:30 pm and called it a night. Ugh. 

Right now I'm having that famous Washington beer, Rainier....which, oddly, is made in California. And it's pretty icky, just a typical American lager. At least now I can say I've had it. 

Arla

Ex runner

flatland mountaineer

Ran 3 this morn. 1 easy 1 tempo and 1 Dessa pace. I think I found a new run partner.

Arla sounds like a cool trip.

Carol good job on the x-training, hope the bike thing works out. Suprised they made you get off the street with it.

Ev nice 9er and thanks for the great lines, u crack me up.

Leslie some smokin' workouts as usual. 5ish sprints are seriously fast.

Cindy good luck racing today.

Joe gonna have to introduce you to a trail runner friend of mine that runs mtn trails in 5 fingers.

Kevin interesting but scary story, glad its working out for you.

Hiya to Woods Lady, Kelly and anyone else out there lookin' in.

The pretty girl after her bath. I got it done without throwing out my back no small feat with a GS dog.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

The bassist was playing a metal tub with a stick, and strung from the tub to the top of the stick was a rope that he plucked.

I believe (I could be wrong) that would be a homemade bluegrass bass commonly called a 'gutbucket'  used to see them all the time @ black powder rendezvous

Sounds like a really cool trip you're on!  I'm envious & you definitely deserve it.

Okay, jumping out of the "blue screen"....

Thanks Jim but, I didn't exactly "race" it...I paced DD for her first social 5K, the local Aflac Iron Girl.  It is chip timed & runs through/around/in Denver City Park but it's one of those that leans more heavily on the amenities than the actual race, although there are some very serious runners in the front of the pack! a large # of the women are mother/daughter teams - & many of those are more walk than run....DD does alot of walking (w/a dbl stroller!) as a norm, so a 5K distance was not a challenge for her, but going a bit faster & an all out run finish was.  They gave out nice finisher's medals, tech shirts, goody bags & a post race breakfast...we didn't stick around for the awards stuff cause her SO isn't one who can keep the kids for very long...yet!

We've been taking turns with the am workout time for the past 3 wks....see, with two little ones she's been having a difficult time getting childcare coverage (uncooperative SO) for her to get a little "me time"...& I had looked at a HM for me for this wknd but, thought rewarding her hard work with this 5K was a better idea.  & when we got there this am, I saw the size of the crowd & such & decided to stay with her rather than running our own "race" just because it was her first..&  she is legally blind & unfamiliar with this park. She did great! & is now looking fwd to the Komen 5K in Oct

Off to make brownies for the family rebellion in the am!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Hi Kids,looking forward to reading all this when I get back from NE.

Quick glance shows Jim's absolutely adorable pup, Arla nearing Canada, and plenty of beer talk! Wee ha!

You're right about my poor geography Kevin / Stumpy, I've been jumping around some states. Runs in (get this right) Salisbury, Mass, Portsmouth NH, and Berwick Maine. Incredible weather and lots of vacation activities. I love it up here. Drive home tomorrow for work Monday.  yuk!

Enjoy your weekend folks!

Cindy - Thank you!  You reminded me I have a brownie mix in the cupboard.  Woo hoo!  Know I'm gonna do here in a minute.

Joe - I used to live on Berwick Drive - but that was in Cambria, CA.

Jim - Dessa is so frigging cute!  Huge ears, and it looks like she's got pretty big feet, too.  Were her parents large?

Arla - When you drove through Eureka, you came within about a mile of my house and a couple of blocks from my work.  Down at Ave of the Giants, they have a marathon in May (appropriate named Avenue of the Giants) and in October (Redwood Run or something like that).  The Ave always sells out.

15.25 tough trail miles this a.m (was suppose to do 16).  My legs were pinched by Mile 8 or so.  Don't know why, but that's how it goes sometimes.  Was disappointed that I wasn't able to run as fast as I wanted down #13 at the end.  I love flying down that trail.  But by then, my quads were toast.  Charlie Dog was really tired, too, so maybe it was just something in the air - at least that's gonna be my excuse.

Came home and put in about 3+ hours of yard labor, redoing one of my beds, which was full of growing bird seed. What a pain.   And let's just say that between running and gardening, I was really, really disgustingly gross by the time I got done.  That shower felt sooooo good!  And the plate of pasta I pigged down afterward was like mana from heaven!  Okay, maybe that's going overboard, but it sure taste might good.

Here's the Garmin graph from my run.  Fun stuff!

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Just had to pop in and saw Dessa.  She is soooo cute I want to reach through the screen and pet her!  And you got a running buddy out of the deal too.  Cool! 

Arla, your trip sounds like a blast.

Cindy, you're a great mom/grandma.

Joe, happy vacation trails to you.

Leslie, that's some serious up and down stuff on your run.

Ev, you're doing great to get 'er done in the heat.

Howdy to Kevin, Jewels, Woodslady, and anyone else running, crosstraining, or resting today!

Hubby had the stomach flu today...throwing up and the whole bit.  So I stayed close to home and did the cleaning chores I've been putting off whilst playing nurse.  He's doing much better, so now I'm just hoping to dodge it. 

Later! 

Progress Trumps Pefection

Hey Arla.....I trust you've made it to Canada by now.  Is your motorcycle 4 wheel drive, does it get good gas mileage.  Bring me back something Canadian!   (a take off on "Home Alone")

Jim....the way you talked about your 3 miler pacing, I'm assuming Dessa pace is a bit faster than tempo?  I'm sure she's gonna make a great addition to the family.

Mtn.....you're a good Mom! 

Joe....I hate to say it, but I guess it's time to get the long pants back on.  Enjoy this "one more day."

Leslie.....you're awesome.

carol...hope Hubby is better today. 

Just had a bowl of Cheerios of the Honey Nut variety and a cup of coffee.  Now out the door for a 9er.

Laters.

MTA......got the 9miler in....nice run, cooler than usual.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

flatland mountaineer

8.2 this morn, last mile with Dessa again.

her easy pace is about 10:30 but has short bursts much faster than my all out sprint but then again when she runs at that pace its just one trip from a clumsy tumble.

have a good whats left of the wknd.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Mornin' Folks -

Jim - One of the things I love about running with Charlie is his enthusiasm to be out there.  It's the ears, tongue, legs, and feet flying down the trail that's so much fun to watch.

Jim - Nice 9er.  Glad it's cooling down a tad for you.

Carol - How's the hub feeling?

Put in 6 road miles in 58:11, then came home and chowed down a bowl of oatmeal w/fresh blueberries, toast, and a glass of Ovaltine.  I feel much better.  Now it's out to mow and weed wack. 

Later -

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Ev you're getting in some nice mileage there.  Isn't that a couple of back to back 9's?

Jim and Lesile, those doggie miles sure sound fun!  I took Katy on a walk in a new park on Friday, and she had a blast but was exhausted the rest of the day. Car ride + new park + new people + heat = doggie stress I suppose.

Hubby is waaaayyyy better, thanks for asking.  He was up at 5:30 this morning to get to church to do set up/media stuff in spite of me trying to talk him into resting.  Amazing...he was a sick puppy yesterday until afernoon.  I got yesterday's workout in this morning since we were up early anyway.  Elliptical, weights, swim today.  Biking on tap for in the morning.

Here's to a new week filled with adventure!     

Progress Trumps Pefection