Masters Running

Sunday September runs and weekend fun (Read 407 times)

evanflein

Awww Gordon... what Spareribs said. That's tough, and we all know you can do much better than that in the right conditions. Rest up and set your sights on something else... Seattle?? Holly, what would Erika do? Certainly not get up at that ungodly hour to go run! Good grief girl... night time is for sleeping! Wink Good job on the 17, the laps were a good idea. How's your leg feel? When is the marathon you're planning? Still doing the half at Air Force? That's the same day as Equinox so I remember that one. Deb, that's awesome. How do you feel? I think you've really turned the corner and are on your way to great stuff. CNYrunner, thanks so much! I do hope to see you in NYC since we missed each other in Boston. Aamos and Twocat... you too! I needed 14 miles to get my 42 for the week (75% of my last peak week is how I do week #1 of taper), and I hadn't done the Equinox hill (Ester Dome) since last week, so I parked at the base of the University, and ran out the dirt bikepath 3 miles to meet the Equinox course at milepost 8, then up the hill to mile 12 and back. Forgot my Garmin (rats!!) so measured distance with the car and Equinox mile markers, timed the run with my cell phone clock. It took me 25 minutes to cover the first 3 miles, or 8:20 avg pace for those three.... too fast! (started at 12:35, hit 8 mile post at 1 pm exactly) Mile 8 to Henderson Road (where the trail meets the road again) took 39 minutes (lots of walk breaks). The mile 8 marker to the mile 12 marker was 49 minutes (clock time 1:49 pm). My pace table for 4:15 finish time gives me about 46:30 to cover that, so obviously that's my weak spot. It took me 1:14 to get from start to mile 7 (turnaround at mile post 12), and 59 minutes to get back to the start (finish clock time was 2:48 pm). It felt hot and muggy at the start (68F), cold and windy up near the top (I bet it was 10 degrees colder), then warm again for the last 4 miles. I remember how cold it can be at the top of the hill... I need someone to meet me at 17 to take a long sleeved shirt and gloves cuz I won't need them after that. But last year I gave them to DS1 at the base of the hill and froze at the top!
    wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, some seriously long runs out there today. Nice going! Gordon, sorry your marathon wasn't your best - how hot was it? Sounds like you got some nice schwag, at least. I did get a new PR in my 10K race this morning - 59:29, a PR by 1:06! This is the third year in a row I've done this 10K with the first one being about 7 months after I started running at all. 2006: 1:00:35 2007: 1:01:35 exactly one minute slower - rats! 2008: 59:29 new PR! The race is called the Neder Nederland, a takeoff on the Bolder Boulder. Nederland is a small mountain town west of Boulder. The race starts at 8400 ft, and the first 2.5 miles is uphill to the turnaround, which is at maybe 8600 ft. Not steep, just constant uphill. Then downhill back past the starting point and down to the finish line in a park in town at about 8200 ft. Beautiful course and a very friendly, small town atmosphere. IRC - 50s and sunny. I only managed to be 10/13 in my AG, and 113/147 overall, but the PR was sweet! I think one thing that has really helped my training was getting a Garmin. The previous two years I ran this race without even a wrist watch on - I just ran by feel. So I had no idea of my time till I got to the end. This year I've practiced at the pace I wanted, and could tell during the race how I was doing.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

4:03:56...PW / Did not see Divechief or Arf
        good job Gordon. with not even your slowing down revealing either arf or divechief at the Skagit out-and-backs, it's pretty much what we've been suspecting all along about all their so-called marathons here and there.. Fortunately, it was a nice enough day summer day and Alki Beach Way was closed to traffic for runners, etc. so I went out a ten mile run to use as a ploy to use to try to entice 'em out of hiding tomorrow for lunch or something. (don't tell 'em I only made it nine miles before fizzling to walk back). It looks like I'll be getting some help on it from the Birch Bay goddess too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

5K race in Seattle for me today, before a long day at work. I'll post a short RR tomorrow. Have a good evening everyone! Francesca
          Mariposai

Well, never made it out there for a run. Life just got in the way of it. My father in law is doing poorly, he has last stages of scleroderma and things are not looking good. Family life and work will keep me rather busy for the next couple of weeks so I can see myself not being around here much until things get better. I will keep up with the Portland marathon thread, however. I will visit as often as I can in the daily forum. Until then....butterfly hugs to all who are resting and please enjoy the gift.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

Yeah DG!!!! Your recovery is amazing Ribs You're my hero Gordon DW and I went out for 4.75 on bikes

SteveP