Masters Running

WEEKLY RUNNING & X-TRAINING GROUP w/e 08/08 (Read 569 times)

Did You Ever Stop to Wonder:  Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these pink dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?

Can you believe it's already August??  Have a great week -

Erika - 44.5 miles running, about 2 miles walking, LOTS of blueberry picking

Dutchie -56.75 km running, 26 km biking, upper body-1x, lower body-1x

OrangeMat - 31.54 miles running

Shadowrunner - 28 miles.  1.25 hrs of core excercises including 950 push-ups;  1.5 hrs of free weights (including participating in the R2C Relay)

Dove - 52.2 miles running, 2 weight sessions

pfriese - 46.1 miles running

fatozzig - 37.48 miles (21.2 road miles, 16.28 trail miles), 130 min of combined upper/lower body and core

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mon - Rest (can do core) ---------------------------------------- Rest

Tues - Upper Body/Core; 4 Hill Repeats -------------------- 50 min upper/core;  4 hill repeats (approx 2 miles/20 min)

Wed - 10 Miles w/Strides ---------------------------------------- 10 miles -strides/tempo/steady/lord just get me through this

Thurs - 3 or 30; Full Body Strength/Core -------------------- 1 hr of upper body/core

Fri - Rest (can do core) ------------------------------------------ Rest

Sat - 18 Trail Miles ------------------------------------------------ 18 tuff, lead-legged trail miles

Sun - 12 Road Miles --------------------------------------------- 10 late evening road miles

Totals: 22 road miles, 18 trail miles, 1.50 hrs of core/upper body, and a 4-block "sprint" to the courthouse.  I'm countin' it!

Friday - 4-block sprint to the courthouse, arriving with less than 4 min to spare. Does that count??

Leslie
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Dutchie42

Hi Leslie, what do you mean by 5 hill repeats?

My goal for the month: 250 kilometers!

Mon: 3K recovery run + 30min UB + abs

Did a 5.5K recovery run on remarkably fresh legs. I really don't know why I ran that well and effortlessly today. I mean, I did 56 kilometers in 4 days. How could my legs feel fresh?

Tue: 7K intervals + 30min LB

Had a 7 kilometer interval run planned.
        First 2 kilometers were short intervals @ 10K/h, with many breaks to stretch my calfs. Darn they were tight again. Then 1 kilometer @10K, another break and stretch, followed by 2 kilometers @10K, short recovery break and the last 2 kilometers@10K. Finished with 100 meters each @ 9.5/9.0/8.5K and I was done with today's run. Walked it off for another 3 minutes.

Added on a 20min LB w/o (no wu) and a nice stretch. Legs feel great 

Wed: 1h30 easy run + abs

Nothing to report. Couldn't make myself run. Was feeling exhausted. Have been waking up the last couple of days at 3AM and was wide awake. Couldn't get back to sleep.

Thu: 7K easy run + 30min LB

Today was 50 minutes of chest/back and a 1h30 run (13.46K) on the TM. My calfs were absolutely obnoxious today. They kept getting really tight and I had to stop and stretch. I could run for about 2-3 minutes at a time. When I realised it wasn't getting any better, I just turned it into some sort of interval run: I tried to make it to 3 minutes at "high" speed before I had to stretch. Fitness wise I was fine, but my darn calfs... It wasn't till the last 30 minutes that I finally managed to run for about 5-7 minutes at a time. I think I need to get the foam roller out every day. This is getting really annoying. 

Fri: 3K recovery run + 30min UB + abs

Did Boot Camp (Cathe F). It's an intense workout where you work LB, UB, cardio (lot's of jumping) and core in 8 cycles. Each exercise is done for a minute. And boy do these minutes last forever in the cardio. I used to do this workout once a week about five years ago and forgotten how much fun it is. And how tough. I sure am lacking in explosive fitness. 

Sat: 5K easy run + HiiT 30/30

5.8K run with Spikey and Spooky. Ran into my neighbour Astrid, who's an April-October runner, but still a faster runner than I am When I see her next, I'll have to ask her what she's training for.

Added on a triceps/biceps w/o and HiiT 30/30. I didn't even go anaerobic during HiiT this time. It's getting too easy. May have to switch to HiiT 40/20 (40 sec of high intensity and high impact, with a 20 sec recovery).

Sun: 2h45 long run

Nothing to report! Didn't feel well at all. Had a stomach ache. The impact of just walking around in the house made it feel even worse. Was on the couch all day. Mostly just watching TV or sleeping. Guess I should consider it a cut back week Wink

Total running mileage: 31.76 kilometers (19.74 miles)

Total biking mileage: 13 kilometers

LB: 1x

UB:2x

Abs: 0x

Other:2x

Dutchie
        Run the day, or the day runs you.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Thanks Ms. Leslie, for startin' us off again.  Mighty neighborly if I say so myself!

Mon:  AM: 15 mins of core excercises including 160 push-ups, 3 sets of abds and pull-ups, mild stretching.  PM:  1 hour of free weights primarily UB but did do usual squat press, leg extensions, and achilles/calfs lifts for the legs.  SRD for running...

Tue:  AM: 15 mins of core excercises including 180 push-ups, 3 sets of abds and pull-ups, mild stretching. PM 4.8 mile run in hot and humid temps after work.  @ 8 min pace.

Wed: AM: 15 mins of core excercises including 190 push-ups, 3 sets of abds and pull-ups, mild stretching.

Thur: 4.69 easy miles this morning, 8:12 min mile pace.  Managed to get in before the thunder and lightning got going. 

Fri: SRD

Sat:  AM:  15 mins of core excercises:  200 push-ups, 3 sets of abds, 3 sets of  pull-ups, some mild stretching.  Then out the door for a 1:30 of running.  10.9 miles @ 8:16 pace.  Nice seasonal temps around mid 70F's.

Sun: 4.6 mile eash shirtless run.  Pace @ 8:04 min miles.  humidity 98% but temps around 69F

Total for week:  25.1 miles; 1hr core excercises including  630 push-ups, hour of free weights. 

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Thanks Ms. Leslie, for startin' us off again.  Mighty neighborly if I say so myself!

Well, yer right welcome thar, pardner!

Dutchie - The idea of hill repeats is to increase your hill climbing strength and consistency, not necessarily speed (as least the way I look at them.  I do hill sprints to increase speed).  I have two hills I'm using right now.  One is .25 in length, the other is .20.  The second is quite a bit steeper than the first.  My goal is to climb them and maintain the same cadence the entire length.  It also helps me concentrate on my foot placement to ensure I'm pushing off correctly.

The way the two roads meet, I climb the longer one, jog back down, turn right, go a couple hundred feet, climb the steeper, jog back down, repeat both climbs (4 hill repeats).  For the 5th, I'll climb the steeper one 2x in a row.

Now - probably much more info than you ever wanted to know about hill repeats.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Dutchie42

Leslie: thanks for explaining what you do. I was just wondering cause I've noticed it doesn't mean the same thing for everyone.

My hill repeats (on the TM) or bridge repeats are probably your hill sprints. I run up the bridge as fast as I can for 285 meters. If I'm on the TM I run on an incline of 3-4-5% at a faster speed (guess those are your hill sprints) than my easy 9K/h. If I do higher inclines on the TM (7-8-9%) I go at easy pace for a certain distance.

Dutchie
              Run the day, or the day runs you.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Thanks once again, Leslie. Last week I never ended up going to any yoga classes, though my running was was rather ample. This week I hope to have a bit more balance in both activities, and hopefully not have to give up any running miles for it.

Mon.... 9.25 miles, yoga

Tues... 3.1 miles AM, 5.25 miles PM

Wed.... 6.2 miles

Thu..... 3.1 miles, yoga

Fri...... 4.25 miles, some random core

Sat..... yoga, 5.5 miles

Sun.....2.25 miles, 15 miles biking

totals: 38.9 miles, 3x yoga, 15 miles biking

On an unrelated note, being rather new here to RA, what's the focus of the 40s, 50s, 60s thread vs. this one, or the daily, or any other? I'm still trying to get myself acclimated to the protocols here. Thanks! Smile

Mon-Sun........get a short run or two in.

Sat......3miles done.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                  stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hi all--after a week of no plan, I think I need to get organized again.  Somehow tough to do in the summer, for some reason   Let's see if this works. 

Mon.  yoga.  Skipped to catch up with stuff leftover from vacation

Tues.  3 miles.  3.1 of a nice tempo

Wed.  Yoga.  one thing to make a plan, quite another to stick to it.  H&H when I got home and no desire to get ready for yoga.  Meh

Thur.  Stretch, strength, or run.  nothing

Fri.  Stretch, strength, or run.  3.1 tempo.  27:20 with the last 1/4 at 7:00.  Sweet

Sat.  Pump Class.  missed

Sun.  Something over 5 miles.  5.01 of lots of walking in 1 hour.  Not so sweet

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

Thanks, Leslie!

Hi Evryday! We've missed you around here!

OM, I have no idea what the 40's, 50's, 60's thread is. I've really never even looked at it! This one summarizes our weekly plans and gives a place to track our XT as well as running (just like the one on Kick). The daily is just the typical daily blather about our runs and other stuff going on in life.

Ok, this is another taper-type week with a half marathon on Saturday. I really don't like this race though so I don't care about it too much. It's in the series though, so I do it out of my "slave to the series schedule" thing. And we're going to dinner at a friend's on Wednesday, so my mid-week MLR gets derailed by that anyway.

Monday: No running, but more blueberry picking!

Tuesday: 5.7 miles with some tempo pace, .3 mile walk

Wednesday: 6.5 hilly trail miles, .4 mile walk

Thursday: 5.6 miles, 8:17 avg pace, .6 mile walk; really smoky out there!

Friday: 3.1 miles, 8:17 avg pace (hey, just like yesterday!), .4 mile walk

Saturday: .8 mile warm up, Santa Claus Half Marathon race (1:42:17), .6 mile cool down for 14.5 miles total for the day. Then back to the berry patch for 4.5 hours! Probably another mile walked there, but not measured.

Sunday: 9.33 miles of hilly trails in 1:20:07, then a .4 mile walk to cool down

Totals: 44.7 miles run, 2.1 miles walked (plus more while berry picking)

Hi Evryday! We've missed you around here!

Thanks.  I missed you ladies/guys too!

Orange.....the 40s 50s and 60s thread is a weekly (some may say weakly  ) thread and a very informal friendly community of....well.....40s 50s and 60s runners.  Someone will start it off new each week.  Where as the daily is started daily.  The 40s 50 60s has a smaller active community than the daily but several folks routinely post on both.  Both threads are very inviting and encouraging.

This weekly running and xtraining group provides a place to schedule your weekly runs and xtraining workouts. 

Check them all out and enjoy. 

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                        pfriese

Thanks Leslie,

M - rest day

T - 10 miles

W - 11.7 miles

Th - 6 miles

F - rest day

Sa - 18 miles

Su - 8.5 miles

Total - 54.2 miles

Paul

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Thanks for the info, evryday. I wasn't sure if it was one of those mileage requirement threads like the 40x40, or if there was any other sort of focus. You guys need a wiki or something for people like me! Smile

Hi evanflein!

The only requirement of the 40s, 50s, 60s+ thread is that you be alive and breathing . . . but we're always willing to bend the rules.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Dove

The Dovenator

I had an easy week before lots of hard weekends for the rest of August....

Monday: rest

Tuesday: 4 miles

Wednesday: weights

Thursday: 6 miles

Friday: 8 miles

Saturday: weights

Sunday: 10 miles

Total 28 miles running, 2 weight sessions

"it's just like having fun, but different"