Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 6.25.17 (Read 37 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Hi Rosie!!!   Yay to Ralph for running his 50th state!  Have fun in Juneau!

Henrun, hope you and Marj continue to enjoy your adventures.  Your DD's place sounds great!

Tramps, I like the cartoon.

Holly -- you go skeet shooting with an assault rifle???

I've been busy with a family reunion in town this weekend, but everyone's either left or leaving in the morning, so I'm off the hook  now.  Whew!  Only time for one short run on Friday morning, then we went to the Denver Botanic Garden Friday afternoon, and had dinner at my cousin Brad's house Friday evening.  Saturday started early with a trip to the Georgetown loop railroad, then a picnic lunch at Lookout Mountain that I hosted (so I had to shop and make potato salad and pasta salad), and dinner at my cousin Jeff's house.  Today I was tired, so I slept in, then we met the family for a visit to Red Rocks Amphitheater, another picnic lunch, and a trip to the Railroad Museum in Golden.  Fun, but tiring!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Woohoo to Ralph! Nice to see you, Rosie! Have fun in Juneau, I hope the weather is good for your visit. I'd like to do that marathon one of these days, but it always seems to have a schedule conflict with other stuff here.

Carolyn, that family reunion sounds exhausting. Fun to see them, nice when they go.

So I went out for a run in a light rain that looked like it was moving out soon. And it did, then the sun came out and it got hot and steamy! 5 miles later, it started raining. I ditched into some trees to wait it out, but the mosquitoes found me in there. Then it started raining harder, so I decided to make a run for it... half mile away was a shelter over a picnic table by the lake. Holy cow, it started pouring, with strong wind and lightning! Yikes! In just about 4 minutes, I got totally soaked. Got to the shelter and waited for it to pass. Nope, got heavier! I haven't seen rain like that here in awhile. Then the lightning with thunder less than 3 seconds later, wow that was close. So... I texted DH for a rescue. It was still raining pretty hard when he showed up, but we thought it looked lighter about a mile to the south so headed there. Nope still raining and lightning still all around. Waited at his office for a bit, but gave up and came home. It was still raining here with ominous thunder rumbles all over. Decided against the treadmill because at that point I was cold and just didn't care anymore, so got into the hot shower. Just finished a hot cup of tea. Guess what? The sun is shining brightly and the sky is blue. Oh well. 8.3 for the day, 40.9 for the week so made my minimum goal. It's all good, but I really wanted a 14 mile day today.

Mariposai

Erika, what an epic run today. Sorry you did not run your planned 14 miles, but you sure prevailed thru the bad weather. BTW, you and Peter are always welcome to our hut. Next time you fly to Seattle, just plan to drive to see us, we would love to show you our beloved county.

Here is wishing a fun race to Ralph on his 50th state. Rosie, we love seeing you here.

Carolyn, family reunions can be exhausting.

Today was another fun filled day showcasing our beloved Okanogan county to Twocat. We drove him to a place he ran before, but with the wildfires that went thru the area two years ago, the place look different. 10 miles total for the day and a pile of fun and sweet memories.

The valley that was not touched by the wild fires.

Yeap, many parts of the trail was washed out.

The Easy Pacer and twocat, at about mile 9

Twocat and I at the China wall

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

wow holly, those ducks along the creeks you run better be careful.

However, never thought I'd know anyone who'd shot an assault rifle.

What's it like? kick? number rounds? etc.

rosie - if you rent a car, you should be able to get out to the Outer Point turnaround for a scenic photo of Mr. Fifty with the Mendenhall Glacier in the background.  Depending on available time you have, car should allow a chance for the mile jog out to Mary's Falls on the right side of the glacier, or better yet, the all day hike up along the left side to the summit of 4,000' Mt. McGinnis and almost two miles of alpine meadows, sometimes with mountain goats along the way.  Easy-to-get-lost trail though so only recommended on the occasional sunny days that sometimes happen in the summer.  Otherwise, less-than-hour run/hike up the Mt. Roberts Race trail to the cross at the start of timberline at 1,800' and on up along the scenic alpine ridges overlooking the marathon start at Sandy Beach in Douglas. If weather is like erika's rain today, take the tram up and rain gear (juneau tourist plastic rain poncho like the poncho holly got on Portland okay) and experience the alpines. Probably no time but best views are the hour hike up also 3,500' Mt. Juneau.  Mountain goats there too.  Have fun.

.ps - the Frank Maier has become quite the destination marathon

so maybe Mr. Fifty might e-mail the MM RD to find out

if anyone else is doing their 50th's too.

I'd be surprised if not.

check out stock images for all of above.

... July 28, 2012: False Outer Point in North Douglas [Juneau, Alaska . . Panoramio - Photo of Mendenhall Glacier And Lake From Mt. McGinnis. . ..

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly -- you go skeet shooting with an assault rifle???

No, we used shotguns for the skeet shooting.  then we went down to the rifle range to try the various rifles.  Sounds like your family reunion was fun!

Erika - sounds sort of like my run on Friday.  I had really hoped to get my LR in then, but the rain washed away that thought.

Go Ralph and Rosie!

Mariposa - lovely pictures!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."