Masters Running

Thu Jan 8 Runs and etc (Read 543 times)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Meg and I have talked about PR's and we are pretty close on times, but she is definitely faster because she was running these times at an older age. I was 38 when I ran: Marathon 2:51, Half 1:20:08, 10K 36:30 and 5K's by the score in the mid-17's. This was in the early 80's. Important to note that back then fiveK's were rare and many marathoners didn't run many of them; they were not always available and we thought they were for the people who could not run distances. Remember I was in a small town upstate NY. A sub-3 marathon requires a pace of about 6:52, and a sub-2:50 something like 6:27. When Meg mentioned her marathon pace at 6:15, and Maine's marathon pace of 7:25, she was alluding to the pace that the marathoner would try to go out in, understanding that he or she would slow. I was using their best marathon times in average m/m. I think Meg's is 2:50. She is a very fast runner. For her best finish time, I would guess she was close to 6:30's if not a couple of seconds faster. Meg? Spareribs
    Yesterday's discussions were great! This leads us to a kind of new topic.... VO2max Supposedly VO2max (the maximum rate of oxygen pumping into your system) can predict race times and McMillan's calculator, for example does just that to extrapolate one race time to another ( http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%201/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm ) Rib's example of what he ran fits perfectly and suggests a VO2max of 57 ( http://runningforfitness.org/calc/vo2.php?metres=42195&hr=2&min=50&sec=00&age=38&gender=M&Submit=Calculate ). I have read that for experienced runners you can only fine tune your VO2max. For new runners there can be a bigger improvement. If this is the case then we are each stuck in a narrow window and can only fine tune. I'm around 45-46 VO2max. I wonder how much imprvement can be expected? The VO2 max is probably related to what you were born with in terms of heart and lungs (?) I find this kind of depressing Smile

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

I thought today what a problem it is for these people that they run too fast! How I would like to suffer from it too.
      Yes, my sentiments exactly. Undecided Lamerunner – that’s the point I make to my kids every time they are wishing for a snow day, “Wouldn’t you rather have your days off in the summer?” Wildchild – no one ever carded me at that gym, but I have not gone back in months. I do my weights workouts at home anyway, and as soon as I was able to run again, I was happy to leave the elliptical behind. WRFB – I did the same thing today, but for me it was waking up at 4:43 when my alarm is set for 5:00a.m. I still feel robbed, though, when that happens. Roy – I started trying to run a few months ago landing more on my forefoot as well. Spareribs says something like, “Try to envision someone’s finger under your heel, and you have to land sort of gingerly on that heel so as not to crush it.” (correct me if I have it wrong, Ribs.) I have found that helpful, although at first I felt lots of minor but strange aches and pains, especially in my AT. I still don’t have it down, but I think I’m improving. On the TM today: 2 mile WU (5 minute slow-to-fast segments – 6.0, 6.3, 6.6, 6.9, 8.0 mph) x 4 (pace translation: 10:00, 9:31, 9:05, 8:41, 7:30) 1 minute walk (1 min. 8.0 mph [7:30]/1 min. 6.0 mph [10:00]) x 5 1 minute walk (1 min. 8.0 mph [7:30]/1 min. 6.0 mph [10:00]) x 5 plus CD makes 7 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Perch--I don't know enough about this to comment intelligently except to say my understanding was similar to yours. Like many things, there's rather quick improvement for new runners with much more limited improvement later. And, yes, genes matter. I actually posted because your link to McMillan reminded me to say that I think his "Six Step Training System" (http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/training1.htm) is just about the best thing I've ever read about training. It is detailed enough to be substantive, but brief enough to zero in on the key issues. And most important, I felt it gave me the tools I needed to devise my own plan, rather than telling me a specific plan I needed to follow. I know many of you already know this piece, but if you don't, I highly recommend it.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

Excellent reading yesterday and with Tramps link to the McMillan's website we have another promising day of learning today. Thank you all who contributed in yesterday's learning. I for sure learned so much from it. 30 minutes of core was all I was able to fit in this morning. I will do a short recovery run this afternoon. DH is saying that we need to go car shopping on Saturday, so I may need to fit in my LR tomorrow.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

mainerunnah and breger1 funny you are both discussing the Goofy. My current plan is to run it in 2011. [editor: You are planning marathons two years in advance. You are ill. Twocat: And I don't like you either! Tongue] My original goal was to do Boston in 2008 but the best laid plans . . . and then do NY in 2008 followed by Houston in 2009. But with my various injuries, I am running Boston (I still hope!) in 2009 and that has pushed Houston to 2010, which pushed the Goofy from 2010 to 2011. Anyway, my in-laws were all bummed out about this because they wanted to go to Disney in 2010 and have been griping about waiting another year! lol If you guys run it next January I hope you have a great time. Mariposai wow do they still sell cars? Big grin [editor: You know biketm can see this! Twocat: Good thing he has a great sense of humor then! (Twocat keeping his fingers crossed on this one!)] More seriously Mariposai what are you looking at? I love cars so buying one is among my favorite topics. Twocat off for a 6 mile run with some friends today. Ice all over the place. So we quit after 5.5 figuring we were lucky to escape with our lives. The options were sidewalk skating rinks or run in the middle of the road with cars threatening to whack us at 30 to 40 mph. To give you some idea of the conditions we decided the cars were safer. Dead

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

8.08 miles at EASY pace this morning. I washed (and dried) my Sansa Clip yesterday. It powers up while connected to my PC, but not when it's disconnected. Phooey! So I had a quiet run. I really really want to do the Goofy one of these years. My first half-marathon was Disney 2005, and I always said that I would go back and do the full.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

As a benchmark, when you were running 6:30 MP were you running 17:3X 5k'S AND 1:20 half marathons?
                Perch, I had a 1:21 half that year, but never got the 5K under 18:00 - was right at 18:00 and never found a good race to go under. I am not sure if that is due to just being older - age was 42 at the time - and lacking leg speed or whether the marathon training was not conducive to a faster 5K. Or maybe I am just not a good 5K runner. Ribs is right that 2:50 was right at around 6:30 pace. Some miles were under and some over but it was a pretty evenly split effort (Cleveland). There was some serious wind along the lake that year right at the 21-22 mile mark - right when you are suffering anyway and I know my times slipped during those miles. I guess us experienced folks are stuck with fine-tuning. I'm not sure I could ever get back to a 57 VO2 Max. It must decrease some with age - or maybe it's just that the chassis can't keep up with the engine! Perch, great PBJ Special today. I think I will take a crack at one of those tomorrow. 7 easy miles today - avg. pace 7:53. I'm committing to six weeks of PT exercises for the knee - hoping to cure it once and for all. Lame, sorry to hear you are still deaing with the sciatica. It sounds like it's causing piriformis pain. That sidelined me for several months and I remember how painful it was to drive any distance. I hope the shots help you feel better. Maine, good luck with the wave run. I'm betting you nail it. I am going to try one on Sunday and may use very similar paces. Ribs, I hope the run goes well today and you are pain free. PreDawn, I fried my last Shuffle running in the pouring rain with it clipped to my hat and was music-less for a good month before my brother replaced it as a Christmas gift. I ran a few long runs without it too and have to say that I much prefer having some diversion for those long runs. I am not going to run with it in the rain any more so there will be more silent runs - but they are not always a bad thing.

Once a runner . . .

King of PhotoShop

2.2 on dirt with the Saint. Pain is reduced but not gone, so I am a bit encouraged. Will continue the exercises of course. Busy day today. F/U visit with the cardio for lipid panel blood work. Every number is great except for the dreaded LDL which is at 89 and the dr. would like to see under 70. Back again in 2 months. They did recommend I start on fish oil. Spareribs
                    Craneium thinks Twocat must be a great athlete because he keeps referring to himself in the third person like Ricky Henderson used to. Tongue
                      . . . and this is the first year they plan on capping the entries: 10,000 total for the 5K, 1/2 and full marathon.
                      Okay, that's a crazy amount of people! Makes me more determined than ever to stick to my trail running and a few hundred peeps. Wink 45 min on the stationary bike this a.m., with an additional 10 min of core. Figured I worked my core while riding, as well, since I change my position often from leaning over to sitting up to leaning slightly forward, and, when in the upright or slightly leaning position, get some good arm-swinging going to help keep the legs going and get the HR up. Still waiting for my new shoes to arrive Evil grin, but have to say it's probably good they aren't here yet since not having them is forcing me to not run on my ankle. However, if things continue to feel as good as they are now, I'm considering hitting the trails this weekend for a few miles. For those of you enduring the ice storms, good luck. I absolutely do not envy you, and will take our rain any time.

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Two of the greatest qualities in life are Patience and Wisdom:

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

UMWB, your post the other day about climbing tanks (with pictures) gives us a new type of cross training. hopeful, you had a nice race in nasty conditions. Congrats on the AG award. handymom, it's good to get a post from you. Along with the rest of you, I've missed DickyG and hope all is well with him and that he finds his way back here soon. Fatozzig, I love the picture. Nice long runs for peter (in the wind and rain), breger, Perch, and Tramps. Good job on the speedwork for maine (hill repeats), mariposai, craneium, and Holly. There's sure been some bad weather with all the ice storms and this morning I heard that parts of Alaska were at -60 F. I hope evan hasn't turned into a popsicle. This morning it was about 20 degrees with some wind and several inches of new snow. For the most part, the snow had been packed down by cars but, on just about every step, my foot slipped back a bit on "push off". I got in 8 miles in about 1:24:30 for a 10:33 pace. Even though my GPS said my body went 8 miles, I figure that with the slippage my feet did another mile or two. The run was hard and slow but I got it in the logbook. A good day and good runs for all. TomS

The Jogger

Thanks for that Holly, I'll think about Ribs advice next time I try it. Didn't dickyg go ages ago, or am I having a senior moment? Roy
                              I was gone for several weeks from the forum what happened with DickyG? Did he just stop posting, or say something like he was leaving? Craneium I know you are just pulling my leg but I actually do not really like starting the "what I did today" section with my handle but I am not sure how else to separate it from my replies to the posts of our other members? I am all ears if you have some idea! Spareribs fish oil!? Yech! Tongue Well if it works . . . good luck getting the LDL down. I have a question about cholesterol that you may have some idea about. My DW's LDL is very high. But her (HDL+LDL)/HDL ratio is literally off the charts good (i.e. low). So the doctor told her that she need not worry about her LDL number. With her ratio being so low he quipped that her blood was like plaque cleaning Drano and she would never die of a clogged artery. My question is what is your understanding about LDL versus the (HDL+LDL)/HDL ratio? WebMd, not admitedly the world's best place for serious medical advice, has very conflicting commentary on this issue. In one article the author says you want a low total and a low ratio. Great, but what if the total is due almost entirely to the HDL number? Whether that is good, bad or indifferent is not so clear from the article.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Twocat, I'm interested in the response to your question too. I have similar issues to your DW. My LDL is higher than it should be but I have always been told not to worry about it because my ratio is so fantastic. I even had one doctor tell me that running increases HDL. I am not sure whether this is true though. I wonder if this is a common issue for women?

Once a runner . . .