Masters Running

Oak Barrel 1/2 Marathon RR (Read 531 times)

huskydon

fussy,

Great job running in the rain.  To me, rain in the 50's sounds rather unbearable, but I know you are quite a bit tougher than me.  It does sound like a wonderful race and I am sure they will do well in the future.  Hot soup, cornbread, and cookies sounds heavenly!   Next year, you will hopefully step on that podium!

Helen, we were probably running near each other.  I was wearing a red running skirt and a long-sleeved red Marathon Maniac tech shirt.   One correction-  it was in the 60s (fortunately).  I hate rain running. It absolutely down poured at around 3 miles. I took a semi-planned DNF and bailed at 6 1/2 (the only place my husband could get the car near the course) due to a hamstring strain.  I had entered the race in advance and we wanted to go to Lynchburg, so I started the race hoping I would hold up.  I didn't. 

I will definitely go back.  It's a neat event.  I run hills a lot in training, but the hill on the Oak Barrel course is unbelievable.  I hardly saw anyone running it. 

The good thing about having my own personal early finish was that we got in an early tour of the distillery.  It was really cool.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Dear fussy,

thanks for the rr.  The half is a tough distance,

especially in the rain all the way and confronting a long hill.

Ours a couple of weeks ago was about the same but, somehow,

it added another 30 minutes more to me than to you. .

ps - be sure to ask ilene about extra credit for not whiining about the rain

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Karen, that is too bad that you bailed, but I understand. The good news was that after the nasty hill there was this incredible downhill for what seemed like miles.  I don't remember anyone in a running skirt, but who could see in the rain?   Glad you got a tour of the distillery.  Let me know if you live around here and we'll run sometime! 

Helen, we were probably running near each other.  I was wearing a red running skirt and a long-sleeved red Marathon Maniac tech shirt.   One correction-  it was in the 60s (fortunately).  I hate rain running. It absolutely down poured at around 3 miles. I took a semi-planned DNF and bailed at 6 1/2 (the only place my husband could get the car near the course) due to a hamstring strain.  I had entered the race in advance and we wanted to go to Lynchburg, so I started the race hoping I would hold up.  I didn't. 

I will definitely go back.  It's a neat event.  I run hills a lot in training, but the hill on the Oak Barrel course is unbelievable.  I hardly saw anyone running it. 

The good thing about having my own personal early finish was that we got in an early tour of the distillery.  It was really cool.