Masters Running

The People of Masters Running (Read 56 times)

Fatozzig: Fatso, Ozzy, Ziggy - 3 of my bestest cats at the time, and I figured no one else could possibly come up with that moniker.  I live in the real Northern CA, in the heart of redwood country, about 1 hr south of the OR/CA state line.

I'll ratchet down things a bit - I'm mostly interested in 50k or higher (which, come to think of it, includes 50 milers) and only in trail running. I'm a solid back-of-the-pack runner and have, therefore, had my share of DNFs.

I simply cannot conceive of running more than 5 or 6 miles on pavement, unless I have no option.  I've been at 2 RA meetings, but only as a supporter and not as a runner (again, the whole pavement thing . . .).

My a$$ has been hurting substantially since late 2016, in Nov 2018 I was finally diagnosed with a torn right hamstring, and am currently hanging out with Twocat in the hamstring surgery recovery department (his was way worse than mine).  I've been assured that someday soon (1) I'll get to run again and (2) I'll get to run on trails again.  Until that time, I'm doing a pretty good job of not killing anyone as a way of dealing with the frustrations of life work life.

And Holly has the power to make this a sticky.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

umm, Leslie - did you forget a couple relays too?

Tammy

umm, Leslie - did you forget a couple relays too?

Conveniently, yes.  The whole pavement thing, no option . . . 

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

well you ran in the first relay we did. quite well too! and second one you were chauffer, cheerleader, energy booster and the caffeine to our souls!

Tammy

pfriese

well you ran in the first relay we did. quite well too! and second one you were chauffer, cheerleader, energy booster and the caffeine to our souls!

+1

spacityrunner

+2

Trails Rock!

Ah, you guys!  That was SO much fun! The best thing was I didn't run over anyone with the van getting out of that one huge dirt parking lot in the middle of the night. 

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I never felt qualified to do a "destination" race, so my meetups have been mostly with locals or occasional visitors to the area. In the CR days, I did have fun getting together several times with the Ann Arbor crew: dg9, DaveinAA, MarkGuy, and Tim Looney. Did you know that Dave's now the head of the physics department at U of Michigan? And to think that I knew him when... I met some others when they dropped by Ann Arbor and everyone got together for lunch or a casual run (rosecoloredglasses and the Rocket Scientist, breger, Skip).

I also met up with tselbs a few times at the Crim races in Flint, along with a number of other CR runners. Several CR/RAers were in one place at the Charlevoix Marathon a few years ago, and I even had a meetup with dg9 and Econo along the way.

Everyone I've ever met through this forum has been every bit as nice as you all seem online. If you haven't done so, don't miss a chance to meet up with someone from here in person!

ETA: How could I leave out the time I met Spareribs? He was in town on business and dg9 and I met him for dinner. It was a great time even though he pulled a fast one on us and picked up the tab before they had even brought it to the table. Classic Ribs!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"