Masters Running

Monday, 11.14.16 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

We had a busy day at the Seacoast Half yesterday. I got to do some ofl the exciting jobs, like relocating porta-potties at 6am, trying to disperse a large puddle of water near our finish area, hauling and setting up barricades, and helping move pallets of cases of bottled water. But it was all good, and we had a gorgeous day, and I'm pretty happy with how things went. We had a couple of fires to put out during the race, but I don't know that many, if any of the racers knew that anything was amiss, which is how we want it to be. I saw Milktruck as he was finishing (looking strong), and we had a nice chat after the race. My one biggest disappoint was not catching up with LaT, despite looking for her before and after the race. The winner was a first-time half-marathoner who missed the course record (1:08:39) by less than a minute. The winning female had the second fastest women's time for this race (1:20:26), and the men's racewalking winner was decided in the last 60 yards between 2 guys were neck and neck almost the whole way. We had 150 volunteers, with more than half of them on the course, working to keep the racers safe, and they all did a great job. With sponsorships, entry fees, and donations, we raised about $132,000 for our beneficiary (a local food pantry), and they'll net about $110,000 after the race expenses are paid. As usual, the race committee is penniless, and we wouldn't have it any other way.

Instead of a nap when I got home, I went for a 4+ mi. walk. I was a bit more aggressive than I have been, and that wasn't so good, so I was pretty achy for the rest of the day, and that is why I'm staying in this morning.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

SteveP

Hallar, I was wondering where you snuck off to. Yeaoch.

YAY Deez!!!!!!

Very kewl, Coastwalker.

I didn't have much in the tank, however, I needed to be a good doggie dad.  We hopped in the truck and fought traffic in search of a new trail before fire arm deer season opens.

Every trail head had a good deal of activity and I had forgotten a leash. Though it's not mandatory in the Huron Manistee National Forest, it's important to be respectful of people who may be intimidated by lunatic dogs. We found a place without a trail that looked interesting.

The few times we've lost Tag in the woods, he's always made it back to the truck. So, I followed him and hoped we weren't on the news later. It may not have been wise, but it was a good decision.

The mutt wanted to make friends with a number of squirrels. They wanted nothing to do with him and would grab their nuts and scamper up a tree. Often, Tag would spook partridge and they would fly up from the steep river bank towards me. If I were a ninja, we'd been having some of them over for dinner. Alas, I'm not even quick enough to take a picture of them. Though, I gave it an honest effort.

After the 2nd fall this Fall, it turned into a hike and not a run.

We still had fun.

After an hour and a half, we had to find ice cream. Por dog experienced brain freeze. 

SteveP

evanflein

Sounds like IRC for the Seacoast Half Marathon, nicely planned! Good job to LaTortuga for improving on her Hartford Half time, woohoo! Glad to hear Milktruck and CW got a chance to visit, but sorry you missed LaT.

Great pictures, Steve! Looks like Tag was having a fun romp in the leaves. Love the orange shirt!

Holly, some of those wine lovers couldn't tell the difference in a brown-bag tasting, so don't feel left out. Hope you had fun!

I've been so busy lately it's just been kind of crazy. Some of that is self-induced, for sure, like spending the day in Seattle on Saturday. Holy Carp was it windy! The plane had a very bouncy, rocking landing at 11 a.m., but it calmed down by the time we left around 7:30 p.m. Spent the day wandering around downtown, doing some shopping and a lot of eating and a lot of walking. Garmin said over 7 miles for the day!

Yesterday I got out for 15.3 miles in temps that never really warmed up like I thought they would. I think it was mid-teens with a breeze from the West that froze my face in the last few miles. Brrrr! Need to dig out the neck gaitor I think. But overall it was a better run than I've had in a long time; slowing down the first few miles and keeping the pace moderate throughout seemed to help a lot. Today will be a mid-afternoon run. I haven't been running on Mondays, but work will preclude a Thursday run so that'll be my rest day this week.

Head Procrastinator

Nice pics, Steve!

Yo EK Smile

Denise, nice half for you AND your buddy!

Hallar, ouch on the table on the foot!

EZ DUZ it Jay sheeesh.

I ran this morning, 3.6 slow then faster then slow again. Oh who am I kidding they are all slow but it's good to be out there. Was trying to catch the moon before it went to low behind the buildings to see but no luck. Did see the sunrise though.

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats

Congratulations on a successful race, Jay.  That's a nice sum of dinero for the charity.  I'm sure they will be absolutely ecstatic.

Great pics, Steve.

Reading about Hallar dropping the table on his foot made me wince.  Ouch!

I forewent running the extra 2 miles yesterday and made up for it with 3 hrs of working with The Hub raking, filling garbage cans with green waste, and hauling them down the clients' steep driveway, then climbing back up to rinse, repeat, over and over. He worked harder than I did, going up and down a ladder to trim hedges, and we were both pooped at the end.  He gets to do it all over again today.  Poor guy. 

It's a cut back week for me, but this evening will be core/ST.  I gotta, gotta, gotta stay on top of that aspect of my training if I want to be able to finish Mt. Lakes 100 next year.

Okay - Back to the trenches ~~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

..hi guys//.......conratulations to jay........

=======

maybe

last week in knoxville,

one of my friends

that lived here told me

''when the speed limit is 45, it means do 70''

useful advise

.........40-min poolrun at y

with belt, cf, riss, paw

......i will miss this saltwater pool.....

.........................good running guys..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Erika, can't believe they were letting planes land in that wind.  I was afraid to go outside just to walk the dog.

Too much to comment on, but Jay's race sounds great.

Twocat - I am sure Baxter did his best!

I did 6.5 miles at noon, on some nice local paths with a few big hills.  It was mild and damp.  I even saw the sun.  I've got 5 weeks until my next race, a 12K, so I better ramp up again to about 30 mpw.  The weekend was very rainy, windy and generally unpleasant so I did not run.  I did soak in the hot tub, twice, though. 

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - the $225 Dom Perignon didn't taste any different to me than a $10 bottle of champagne, but there was a Caymus 2013 Special Selection Cabernet Sauvignon ($180) that was a serious WOW to the tastebuds - far and above everything else I tasted there.  But then, Caymus always delivers...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

I'm not a fan of Dom Perignon but don't like real cheap "champagne" either. But yeah, a good solid cab will knock your socks off, and Caymus is a very good producer. *sigh* now I want to go back to Napa....

Enke, it was a very nerve-wracking landing, to be sure. Glad the departure was smooth.

So today we got snow. More than I was expecting, and I didn't have the right shoes for running in that. So decided I'd come home and do a treadmill run. And it just so happened I got my new shoes today! Well... tried the Brooks Launch 3, which from the description sounded like something I'd like. Nope. I don't think so. Felt big and clunky, even though they're really pretty light (especially considering I used to run in Asics Nimbus years ago!). Just didn't feel like "my" shoes. So, they're probably going back. Also got a pair of Saucony Kinvara 4's which are a frightening color and look a little weird, but I'll try them next.

4.1 sweaty miles on the treadmill, "easy" pace but sort of a struggle.