Masters Running

Saturdaily, 8.18.18 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Friday's workouts:

Holly (1500 pool yards)

anneb (4 morning neighborhood miles, part with a friendly dog)

Henrun (3 morning miles in the [NY] Hamptons)

Pfriese (7 EZ miles to the park & back)

Dave59 (2 TM miles)

Deeze (chair cardio, seated weights, crunches & planks)

RunnerKSA (8.2 Colorado miles, not easy)

Tomwhite (30 min. Precor - yowsa!)

Evanflein 5.5 EZ afternoon miles in grey/overcast/windy conditions)

Anzio (8 run/walk morning miles)

Jlynne (18 holes of golf with 1 ball)

Wildchild (Rec center 7 bike miles, & weights & 1.5 miles walking home + 2.5 miles running home)

Twocat (doctor visit cross-training after DW surprise birthday party)

Surly Bill (8.5 trail miles)

Mike (10 post-work miles + cross-country practice)

Tammy (5 post-work, outside miles)

SteveP (2 pleasant post-work miles) 

Good job yesterday afternoon, Holly.

So sorry about the injury and DH being laid off, Deeze. Good luck on both those fronts, as well as with MIL coming for a 'visit.'

I've never heard of cannibis cream.

Why the heck don't employers understand that if they treat and pay employees fairly, they will get so much more in return for their outlay? Stoopid…

Our guests for this week (niece and her DH-to-be) left last night after a dinner of homemade lobster rolls, burgers, potato salad and ice cream. This was the first time we met the future DH, and we like him, which is a good thing because we like her a lot. We don't have any more house guests until next weekend! Gulp.

Just 2.5 EZ RW miles this morning in disgustingly-muggy conditions in which it was hard to breathe at any speed. And I have a nice little blister on the bottom of my foot that feels like I'm stepping on a small pebble with each step. Met a guy walking a very cute chocolate lab puppy that wanted to figure out how to untie my shoes. She didn't get too far. Now, off to the farmer's market and Trader Joe's to stock up.

Have a greta Saturday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay........

I couldn't find any ''Topical Cannabis'' monographs in the literature,

(except

from the companies that made them)

I'm suspecting

we'll have to wade thru the claims

not unlike this one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radithor

until we get

some Controlled Studies

eta-

reminds me of the movie ''The Road to Wellville""

==============

...40-min PoolRun with letters

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Henrun

Nice beach day yesterday followed by an outdoor jazz concert at the local museum.

Lightning and thunderstorms during the night which led to a cloudy, drizzly and muggy morning. 3.5 mile run this morning. Had only intended to do 3 but got lost, so I backtracked. I always take my phone-didn’t this time. Marj and BIL drove and rescued me when they realized I was MIA😰.

(((Deez)))

Dave59

Hoowee!  The humidity got me good today. I hoped to run at least 6 at a park in Huntington, and then meet a friend for coffee, but I was dying out there. Going so slow that I cut my route short at 5.86 miles so I would have time to cool down before coffee.

I brought some wipes and clean clothes with me but I was so soaked from the run that I didn't think I could clean-up.  I tried pouring some cool water on me from the drinking fountain.  I finally started the car and turned the AC on full blast. That enabled me to get changed and on time for coffee and a brown sugar cinnamon scone. 

I won't do that combination in the humid weather again.

Now it is time for a real shower and a real breakfast.

anneb

Good morning all. 10 (!!) miles for me this AM. The longest run for me in almost a year. It’s still ridiculously humid here (I know, broken record), 71-75, dew point 70. But there was a sight breeze and some clouds and the effort was overall easy so I’m happy about that. Maybe I’ll actually register for a race or 2 this fall … 🤔

Hope everyone has a nice weekend.

Anne

Thanks, Jay.    Glad you get a little break from company!

Good run, Anne!  Congratulations on the distance.

4.4 for me and broke The Rule (which I almost never do) and went out in a light rain.  I was OK, but at the end it got heavier and annoying.  I did it, though.   Off to get some really good donuts now.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

pfriese

A little over 8 muggy miles for me on this Saturday morning.

Paul

Quickadder

15 early morning miles in very hot and steamy conditions. I am actually jealous of anneb’s nice cool 70 dew point - that would have been far better than the 77DP here. Temperature at 5am was 82F, feels like 92F.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

coastwalker let me add my congratulations to your race results from the other day. Just remember muggy beats the frozen winter weather.

Surly Bill I do not think cheaters prosper in the short or long run. It is not just getting caught that does them in. It is that people suspect they are cheaters long before they do (if ever) get formally caught. It is difficult to do business once you get a bad reputation like that.

TammyinGP and Mariposai I sure hope they get those fires under control in your areas and soon.

Falconfixer I know what you mean. Holding what you think should be a fun event for those attending can seem like a mandatory event if you are senior enough. I am not sure there is a solution for that. Never holding an outing seems like a truly bad idea.

tomwhite I generally agree with your skepticism about any new cream, pill, supplement or whatever that is the latest cure for what ails you.  Would cannabis cream work better than a placebo made of body cream? Maybe not. But at least this one is easy for a person to test on their own. Just have a friend make up two identical jars labeled A and B. One has cannabis cream the other a body cream with the same look and texture. Try them on alternate days and record how you felt. See if A or B ends up producing a different reaction. After say two weeks of testing, have whoever made up the jars reveal which is which.

Henrun heck I get lost so often my DW has a policy of never going out with me on my first run anywhere new.

Dave59 might I recommend ending runs on some days near a shower.

anneb my DW went out running today too. Dew point when we woke up as 71 here as well!  It must have been like running through swamp water.

Quickadder a 77 degree dew point! I have never even heard of one that high.  Forget running through swamp water, it must have been like running under swamp water.

Hey my doctor's visit was good enough to make coastwalker's roundup! Wahoo! DW is off with her friends for lunch and a movie. They are taking her out to celebrate her birthday. I am home stalling since I should get some work done and since I am posting here on RA I am clearly not doing that. My DW and I have our 40th high school class reunion coming next Saturday. She is now waffling about going. The sale of her late parent's house should close soon and she is not taking it well and thinks going back to the town we grew up in will be too sad to have fun at the reunion. I am trying to talk her out of that attitude. Until about 10 days ago she was all gung-ho to go.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Joe618

Morning all!   Some good long runs so far today, good on all of you.   Fun  to see how the summer progresses.

I got in 16+ miles this morning and it went well, much better than the sluggish 16 of last Saturday.   I was encouraged.

A poignant (if you can call it that) moment in today's run, of the type only a runner would see or appreciate.   When I started this current phase of running in May, 2004, we didn't have GPS units readily available, so I measured out several running routes on a bicycle with a mile counter and made discrete spray paint marks on pavement every half mile from my house in each of several directions...that way I could run out and back at any whole mile total I wanted.   Over time, repavement and construction have obliterated many of those marks and low-cost Garmin's made them irrelevant.   But one that always made me smile was on an overpass and those three stripes, a mile and a half from our old house, were there for over 14 years now.   Until yesterday, when the jackhammers set in and the marks are gone.   Silly, I know, but I noticed this morning and it made me smile.

Heading back to work for a couple quiet hours on a Saturday afternoon, then gonna go fishing.

Rock on, folks.

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

The placebo effect is strong, AND can be used for good. A positive mindset brought on by the belief that something works is often enough to overcome some minor ailment, and especially pain. Unfortunately, hucksters take advantage of this effect to sell snake oil and enrich themselves at the expense of other's eagerness to believe, or out of desperation. But then again, if it actually causes the desired result despite not having any tangible, measurable curative properties, isn't that OK?

And so, I'd like to introduce my product, made of coconut oil infused with crystals only found in certain meteors from the planet Krypton. At only $199 a gram, it will cure all of your aches and pains, increase virility, and grow hair or remove it (your preference)

Studying for my degree; a big portion of Sport Psy involved visualization; mental practice. Slightly different technique, but with significant results in the medical field involves visualization of the internal workings of the body mending and combating injury and disease. Never take the power of the mind for granted.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, I'll continue the theme--warm and humid here.  No surprise on humidity of course, but temps in the upper 70s and low 80s (when I ran) was pleasant.  Mostly cloudy.  Still a tale of three runs; first 3 miles (ok), next 3.3 (walked .1 mile, ran .9 mile) then then last 1.7 mile (half run, half walked).  So happy with total, but not the execution.  Generally happens to me around this time of year....I think it's the prolonged effects of the summer.  And this one hasn't been too bad.  In other words, definitely looking forward to cooler weather.

TwoCat, yeah.  My approach has been to not broach any events until they get to know me at least some and realize I'm serious that it's ok if no one comes.  There are enough unit scheduled/sponsored events that my scheduling really isn't noticed.

Quick, I haven't heard from NB4 and no one on FB has either.  I thought I had his email (from another event) but I either didn't or it was lost a couple of computers ago.

Have a greta day everyone!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

And so, I'd like to introduce my product, made of coconut oil infused with crystals only found in certain meteors from the planet Krypton. At only $199 a gram, it will cure all of your aches and pains, increase virility, and grow hair or remove it (your preference)

Do you offer an easy monthly payment plan?

I went 6 miles with the cross country team.  We ran at a nature center about 9 miles from the high school.  Some of the kids will meet at an elementary school parking lot half way in between and carpool...not really sure why.  Anyway--one of the coaches mentioned that he saw one of our kids waiting for a ride at the high school and he asked if he had a ride.  "Yep, Carlson's picking me up."  Carlson showed up for practice without this kid.  So, I jumped in my truck and headed to the school.  When I was almost there, I got a call that this kid's dad brought him so I turned around.  By the time I got back the kids had already taken off through the trails, so I had to chase them down.  I ended up running with three of our top girls and had a nice chat.  After practice, we went to breakfast, which is something the kids take turns hosting after every Saturday morning practice.  Have I ever told you how much I love the cross country season?

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

My early assessment is that the cannabis cream feels good.  I don’t for a minute believe it will “fix” the injury the way dry needling, the exercises and the cortisone might, but it really does feel good after I apply it.

Joe- I completely understand about your marks.  Those were the ways we measured things!    I still remember one of our good group 10 mile courses in Dallas back in our fast days.  Boy, we could really fly on that course- even with some Dallas-version “hills”.  The guy who measured it out was named John, so it was always “John’s course.”  I think even before GPS we figured out it was quite short......each mile was just a tad short, and it added up.  Oh well.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

mrrun

Biked with DS and GD2 then off to Montauk Lighthouse.  Climbed 130+ steps to top and climbed on rocks - some pics on FB. then treated to  fancy lunch by DS with water ambiance.  views from lighthouse were iffy because of weather.

great runs in spite of muggies

((dealing with injuries  and work issues))