Masters Running

Been Gone - Not Running (Read 468 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

What can I say that the expert--Ribs--hasn't said much better? 

I'm happy to hear you caught this in time and have gotten through surgery.  Let the healing begin!  Be sure to check in often and let us know how things are progressing.

Took the words right out of my mouth....

Please do, though, keep us posted, Tom.  We've missed you.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hi Tom.  I'm glad Ribs shared his wisdom and experience.  Being a runner, you know to take this recovery period one step at a time.  I have no doubt that the 300th will not be your last.
        Tom, I can imagine the shock!  Well, you're on the road to recovery now.  So glad you're a runner and this was evident for you, and glad your siblings are checking it out.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Head Procrastinator

Glad to hear you are on the mend Tom! Good reminder to us all that just because we "do the right thing" we aren't invulnerable. You will be back better then ever, those blockages didn't happen overnight.  Good for your siblings taking this as a sign to get checked. Hang in there!
          ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
          PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Wow Tom.  You have been through so much.  Glad that it was caught in time.

Knowing how determined you are, I'm sure you will make it back for the freedom run.  Just be  careful that you don't do too much too soon.  But keep on posting - you are truly an inspiration.

{{{{{{Tom}}}} - I've been wondering about you and hoping you would post to let us know how you are doing.  I never dreamed you would not be running.  I'm relieved that you caught the problem in time - must a minor setback in your running career.  You'll be back to great running form in no time.  Keep us posted -we care!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

TheSaint

Wow Tom, way to take one for the team, or your brothers in this case.  What a blessing to them to know they need to get checked out and can maybe avoid what you have to deal with.

Good luck with your recovery, each day takes you closer to 100%, be patient.

Tom, I had been thinking about you lately and wondering how you were doing.  Your post wasn't the news I was hoping to hear but I am very happy you had things checked out and corrected.  I'm sure the road back to full recovery will seem long and perhaps frustrating but YOU CAN DO IT.  Before long you will be back running then racing and working on the next 300 marathons.  Hang in there buddy.  All your friends are pulling for ya!

Wishing you all the best!

Skip

#artbydmcbride

Good to hear from you Tom!  I hope you are back at work and humming along happily very soon.  Smile

Runners run

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Tom,  I've been thinking about you, too.

Thank you for sharing this story and do what Ribs said!  You have already overcome so much in your life.  Walk and walk and walk until you are able to run again.

Don't rush the recovery by running too soon, it will make the process longer.  Try to consider  "resting" as "cross-training"... very important to getting you to that marathon in September.

Make sure to stay connected with your running friends here and in real life.  Your friends need you.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Hill Runner

Wow Tom I was wondering what happened to you! I was looking for you at Thunder Road in Charlotte this past December.

...Lots of great advice here. I hope you have a full recovery and eventually go back to what you enjoy most. The other bit of good news that I see here is that you don't seem to be having any problems with your knees of steel....;-) 

One question that I'm curious about though....It sounds like you were doing all the right things as far as eating and diet but did you get regular physical exams and did the doctor not monitor your cholesterol levels?  It would seem to me that if you had 100% blockage in that artery that surely your cholesterol levels should have provided some warnings

Hope to see you running again soon but please take baby steps right now.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                        Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                        Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

TomD

Peter NC

Yes, I had regular physicals and checked my cholesterol regularly too.  My cholesterol was at 157 with the 100% blockage.  My good cholesterol was at 41, which was the highest I ever have had it.  Low good cholesterol runs in my family.  My diet keeps my bad cholesterol very low, which helps my cholesterol to be in the 150's.

My last physical had been 13 months before in December 2008.  It was in my family history and if I had not been a runner I would be one more person waiting for an unexpected heart attack. 

In my view of things all this seems crazy to me.  Last summer I still expected to live well past 100.  Now I am not sure since this open attack surgery will only last 10-15 years.  Then what.  I do not want to live as an old man as how I have been feeling.  To be old, not to be able to be active, not to run, and go through life alone is not for me.  I can live being alone if I have the rest, but not to run and being alone as I have been these past several weeks is not worth living for.  The only thing that keep me going is knowing I will be able to run again and I should do better than last week.

The past several weeks has been like a prison in my own home.  With day after day without seeing anyone else.  At least the past week I have been able to drive to the store and such.  At least I have been seeing others.  I life right now is so very boring, but that will change on Monday when I will be able to go back to work.  I have a job that I love and the people I work with are great.

Things will become much better for me soon.  I would very much hate to live a life that I have been living.

TomD