Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 10.30.17 (Read 37 times)

spacityrunner

2 miles in IRC at sunset.  I went as fast as I could and i was pleased with the outcome.  1st miles was 10:35 (mostly downhill) and the 2nd was 11:30 (mostly uphill).  That is pretty good for sloggy ole me.  

Trails Rock!

catwhoorg

Labrat

5 at lunch.

8 Hilly miles after work.

Back to the hard work Smile

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Sorry--no time again.  I did 11 miles today--4 with the kids then 7 on my own including 5 "strength" miles.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Hello everyone.  Plan for some speed work evaporated on a busy day. Let time slip away.   Instead I ran after my (one man) team was done practice.  Got in 4.0 miles at 8:39 pace.

Once again...wow!  So many racers this weekend!  I keep going back and reading reports, but since I'm still learning who is who to some degree, I'm having trouble keeping up!  When I first started participating 10 years ago on RW forums, there were lots of Masters racers.  Those ranks thinned a lot over time.  I've never been much of a racer as a Master (one per year on average), but I've always enjoyed reading everyone's RRs.  Seems there are lots of talented racers here on RA.  Congrats to you all!  And even more impressive was the challenging conditions most of you raced in.  Well done!

Metalman - once again, congrats for overcoming the obstacles.  I went back and looked at my first Master's marathon (ran a couple in my teens) and the comments on my log were:  "4:21:30, bonked at 15 miles, lots of walking after that".  So literally, I know how you feel.  BTW, the following year was a 3:57, and then a 3:38, so maybe you might give it another try.   But I hear you on the shorter distances.  I enjoy the half because I'm not operating close to red line like a 5/10K, and the training investment and recovery time are not as significant as a marathon.

pfriese - congrats on the come back race and teh mileage build up.  How did you conquer the PF?  I've battled it for 2 years now.  I beat it on the left foot with stretching, rolling, and compression socks and shoe inserts, but then the right flared up and it has been stubborn.  I'm considering dry needling on it.

Quick - I love the small local races.  I actually prefer them.  Must be that introvert stuff we discussed this week.

catwhoorg - excellent race!  Sorry you missed the award, but still a great time.  We share very similar Masters PRs.

Tammy - love the pics!  So foggy!  Too bad the race has devolved from what it was.  It sounds like it was a blast before.  Regardless, well done.

Jay - wow!  Pardon my ignorance, but I had no idea race walkers were that fast!  I mean, I've seen it on TV before and knew they moved right along, but 2:23 seems pretty impressive to me. Tough conditions too.  Hope you are warmed up by now.  I ran a marathon in a continuous 50 degree down pour once and I think it took 2 days to stop shivering!  Congrats!

Quick - great job!

Yikes on the weather up North.  Stay safe!

Good evening everyone.

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, must have been worn out from the long run on Saturday as I slept in (again) this morning.  Ok with that, it was chilly and we didn't ease into it.  Did get in about 8 miles at an easy pace before teaching spin on base.

Jay, congratulations on the successful race(s)!

Metal, a great debut (whether it's final or not).  I did my first one at 40 years old (Chickamauga--which does some great things for folks doing their inaugural marathon--got a framed bib when I finished).  Didn't take the long runs seriously enough and paid for it for the last 10k.  Still my slowest at 4:44:23.  Said I was one and done....by Wednesday I signed up for two more before I supposed to deploy (Museum of Aviation at Warner Robins, GA and Mercedes, Birmingham, AL).  Those went much better based on lessons learned.  3:50 at Museum and 3:49 at Mercedes (on the old course that climbed Red Mountain....twice).  So I believe you when you say never but.....   BTW, before you joined us at RW there was runner that went by Hammer (remember Opus?).  He did one.  Myrtle Beach in 2008.  Trained very scientifically and had a great plan.  3:19, a Boston Qualifier.  And he never ran another (as promised).  So that can be done to!  BTW, a lot of us were at that race.  I even got to run with him (another former AF officer) from miles 4 to 10.  His plan was to slow and I was staying even effort.  I got to see him finish.

Opus, so things in the reserves move at a glacial pace.  Did speak with my old boss today.  Turns out there are only two of us that sent him packages for his (current) position.  Other guy is a good friend (and a good maintenance officer) so it's gone from 33.33% to 50%.  But still suspect the earliest anything would happen is January.

Have a great night everyone!

pfriese

I ran 10 easy-paced miles in very windy conditions this afternoon.

Opus77, I think I got lucky with my PF. I was able to track down what I thought was the root cause of the problem; new sandals at the start of summer. My normal footwear of choice in the summer is retired running shoes, but this summer for some reason I bought a pair of sandals. After a couple of weeks of wearing them, the PF started. Probably lack of arch support? Anyways, the damage was done & after an exhaustive internet search; it seems that with all the various treatment plans the "best" recovery time would take 3 months. There was also a school of thought that if you just stayed off your feet for 90 days that would work as well. After retiring the sandals, I went with plan 'B' of staying off my feet and absolutely "no running"  for 90 days. To keep from going stir crazy & to stay in shape, I embarked on a 1000 mile bicycle ride from Oklahoma to Wyoming via Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado, & Utah this summer. Link for summer bike ride report.  I'm retired so I had the time & it didn't seem to affect my foot. When I finished my ride, I still had a few more weeks to go. The PF was not bothering me but when I tried a run, it just didn't feel right. I laid off for 2 more weeks then started running again, very gradually increasing my mileage at first, then doing the 10% rule, and in October a bit more aggressively. So far, so good with no PF symptoms. Smile

Paul

6.2 @ 8:00

Now it's starting to get COLD here! Just a couple days ago it was HOT! Maybe the next week will be just right...says goldilocks.

Thanks for the informative reads everyone.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying