Masters Running

BAA Announces New Registration Process and Qualiying times (Read 742 times)

Tramps

I don't remember when registration used to open, but I do remember it stayed open a lot longer, right up until a couple of years ago.

I was surprised to read that, until the 2011 race, the previous "record" for closing out had been 64 days.  Other details in the Boston Globe article.

Ribs--nice commentary.  I agree; I can't see how 5 minutes can dash anyone's hopes.  On the other hand, the whole point of the change is to weed people out, so somebody's got to go! 

Heck, even Meb didn't get in this year. Wink

Be safe. Be kind.

Great blog post Ribs! 

Lame, you are right - it can be windy.  That probably is a guarantee in March in VB, but it's flat and usually cold so all in all a good course to BQ on.  And although the half closes early, the full stays open until pretty close to the race.  Wow, 1988!  I was living in Charlottesville then.  I ran MCM in 1989 and remember it as being not very crowded.  Could have run Boston that next year but I dropped the ball with running.

Once a runner . . .

#artbydmcbride

I was surprised to read that, until the 2011 race, the previous "record" for closing out had been 64 days.  Other details in the Boston Globe article.

Ribs--nice commentary.  I agree; I can't see how 5 minutes can dash anyone's hopes.  On the other hand, the whole point of the change is to weed people out, so somebody's got to go! 

Heck, even Meb didn't get in this year. Wink

Except, with the new rolling registration, if enough runners who can meet their BQ-20 mins register, the race can fill up before any BQ-10 or minus 5 minutes get a chance to sign up.  Not that many of those faster runners used to sign up, but with this new challenge I think many guys in their 30s will shoot for it.

Runners run

Marathon Maniac #957

Except, with the new rolling registration, if enough runners who can meet their BQ-20 mins register, the race can fill up before any BQ-10 or minus 5 minutes get a chance to sign up. 

Exactly my thoughts. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

My glass is half full---perhaps even three-quarters

Great blog Ribs and I am glad they've asked you to be a regular contributor.

I am not convinced that the field will fill with BQ -20 runners. Of course we'll all have to wait and see, but I'd be surprised.

I realize that I am lucky with a BQ time -20 already in hand and a husband who is willing to fill out my registration if I am away from the computer (he did that this time). I also tend to run Boston faster than my fall marathons---so training in the winter or through the summer doesn't make as much of a difference as one might think for me. The new standards mean I'll keep working hard and with luck I'll be able to run this marathon in future years. My own silly goal has been to hit the youngest female qualifying time for as long as possible----looks like I have a new number to work for and that's cool by me. 

The lore and allure remains for me.

Renee the dog

So, at the low end (the last :59) it's about a couple thousand runners.  With each minute constriction, the net number of folks affected is probably less, right?  So, by tightening up effectively by 6 minutes (5:59 to be precise so we don't go down a rabbit hole on that), it's somewhere up to 10-12K registrations which will feel an effect. Someone who massages data for a living, please step in and refine this please!

If this is so, then no one should really worry, unless a lot of folks read Ribs' blog entry and realize they do have choices!

BTW, I apologize for not being able to get my points across yesterday without ruffling feathers.  I have a habit of always looking at business cases from all sides, usually divorcing myself from the process and not having any stake in it whatsoever.  I should realize this is a sensitive topic for folks and tread lighter.

Personally, I won't be buying a Boston jacket when I go this year, because what's the point?  Heck, I'm one of the first 2000 kicked to the curb! LOL I'll wait and purchase one once I qualify under the new standards.   Cool

P.S. Byll is still right, even as Angry Byll.  That Ribs guy, not so sure 'bout him. Joking

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Personally, I won't be buying a Boston jacket when I go this year, because what's the point?  

Volunteer and you get a free jacket AND a shirt... I have 4 of them...bright yellow, grey, bright orange, and blue...all with that oh so fancy BAA unicorn insignia. I won't be buying the spiffy Boston jacket--ever--but that's because I am cheap and it's way too expensive. 

It's all good Nono and your opinions are great to hear/read.  

This is what I don't get.  Why not have open registration for two weeks.  Anyone with a BQ can sign up.  At the end they pick the 25,000 or whatever top times.  Why the need for separate windows?  This is assuming that not everyone will be on their computers that first day to jam up their system, if that is their concern.  They are going to have to "rank" all the BQ to BQ-5 minute runners anyway to find a cut-off, it can't be that much more work to rank the whole lot.

No one will ever know exactly what a BQ time is anymore.  Sure they could get tough and pick a number, but they also want a full field.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

C-R

Late to the game here but personally I like this first step. BAA will ultimately need to drop the times another 5 or 10 minutes and I'm good with that. This race is supposed to be for the "faster" runners. Their race - their rules. If I want to run, I know what I need to get. I just need to do what it takes to get there. That's what makes it special to me. Proof of a personal decision to bust my hump to get the BQ. Not to anyone esle but just for me.

That being said this is my first year as a BQ and I did work to get there. I was lucky enough to gain entry via the web mess. I will race it and enjoy it. I may never run it again but I will use the BQ as a measuring stick for my future marathons. That part is pretty cool.

What I think people miss in this whole mess is that the business of this race has created scarcity. Demand has outstripped supply. They have to balance this and the only means short of auctioning slots is to reduce the demand by tightening qaulifying standards. The "I don't want to sign up six months in advance" argument is moot. This isn't some local 5k. I do think they should move registration to the January time frame to allow for those in the fall races to have a shot. Pplus it gives people a real chance to decide if they want to throw down the cash to attend instead of making it a impulse buy. If it fills in a week, so be it. Umstead filled in ten minutes. Monkey filled in 38. When you have a good product, people will gobble it up.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Tramps

If I want to run, I know what I need to get.

Actually, you don't.  No one does for sure (as Enke points out above).  That's why "BQ" will never be the same.

Be safe. Be kind.

#artbydmcbride

But you do.  Go for BQ minus 20 minutes, that's what you know will get you in.  That and a quick browser first day of registration.  

Runners run

C-R

But you do.  Go for BQ minus 20 minutes, that's what you know will get you in.  That and a quick browser first day of registration.  

Winner winner chicken dinner. Exactly where I was going. -20 pretty much guarantees you a spot.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

BlazinCajun

Kind of like the time of registration - Gives me the opporitunity to start training 24 weeks in advance if I know that I'm registered. Have no problem with the 2013 qualification standards - I was shooting for 3:04 - 3:08 anyway which would be good for me. Just hope my latest race is good enough for 2012.

Andrew
                            ------------------
                            God, my Lord, is my strength;
                            he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                            and enables me to go upon the heights.
                            Hb 3:19