Masters Running

BAA Announces New Registration Process and Qualiying times (Read 742 times)

BOSTON (CBS) – The Boston Athletic Association is phasing in two new elements of its Boston Marathon registration process after several qualified runners were shut out of this year’s race due to record-high demand.

The 2011 Marathon field was full 8 hours and 3 minutes after registration opened.

From now on, the B.A.A. says the fastest runners will always get in and the size of the field will remain the same.

Runners with qualifying times will no longer be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis.

PART 1

For the 2012 Boston Marathon, registration will extend for two weeks, beginning on Monday, September 12 and continuing until Friday, September 23.

Registration will occur on a “rolling admission” schedule until the maximum field size is reached, beginning with the fastest qualifiers.

In other words, the faster your time is, the better chance you have of getting in and it doesn’t matter which marathon you use as your qualifying time.

Here is how the BAA explained the rolling admission in a statement:

On the first day of registration for the 2012 Boston Marathon, those who are eligible for entry by having met the qualifying standards for their age and gender group by 20 minutes or more will be able to enter on the first day of registration (September 12).

On the third day (September 14), registration will open for those who have met their qualifying standards by 10 minutes or more.

On the fifth day (September 16), registration will open for those who have met their qualifying standards by five minutes or more.

If the field size is not reached after the first week and additional space remains, then registration will open to all qualifiers at the beginning of Week Two (September 19) and those who have met the qualifying standards by any amount of time will be able to apply for entry.

The application process will remain open for the entire week, closing on September 23.

At the conclusion of Week Two, those who are the fastest among the pool of applicants in their age and gender will be accepted. Accepted athletes will be notified on September 28.

PART 2

The second phase of adjustment will begin with the 2013 Boston Marathon, where qualifying times will be lowered.

It’s the first time since 1980 that the BAA has made qualifying times more stringent.

They will be lowered by five minutes from the times which have been in effect in recent years.

The adjusted qualifying times will go into effect on September 24, 2011, and are as follows:

Age Group   MEN WOMEN

18-34              3:05:00 3:35:00

35-39              3:10:00 3:40:00

40-44              3:15:00 3:45:00

45-49              3:25:00 3:55:00

50-54              3:30:00 4:00:00

55-59              3:40:00 4:10:00

60-64              3:55:00 4:25:00

65-69              4:10:00 4:40:00

70-74              4:25:00 4:55:00

75-79              4:40:00 5:10:00

80 and older 4:55:00 5:25:00

Registration for the 2013 Boston Marathon will begin on Monday, September 10, 2012.

The B.A.A. is making one exception. Those who have met the qualifying times and who have finished the last ten consecutive Boston Marathons will be able to enter any time during the registration period.

There are currently about 500 runners who fit these criteria.

Runners who do not qualify can still run for a charity.

Fair enough, and sounds like a decent system.  I still don't really like the preference given to people that have run it X many times in a row.  Move over already and let someone else run it.  They are just encouraging a streak obsession.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

What they have come up with satisfies a lot of needs but will still disappoint a lot of people.  Oh, for the good old days when you could qualify in January and run in April.  It looks like I might have to find a fast course this year...

Tramps

Fair enough, and sounds like a decent system.  I still don't really like the preference given to people that have run it X many times in a row.  Move over already and let someone else run it.  They are just encouraging a streak obsession.

+1

In this case, speed (on the road--not on the Internet) should be rewarded.

Any changes for charity runners and "freebie" entries (for sponsors, etc)?

I probably won't return to Boston. My one and only qualifying time would still qualify under the new standards...but barely.

ETA: Oops, I just saw that they've dropped the 59 second "grace" time.  That means I wouldn't have qualified after all!  I feel like an impostor now. Roll eyes

Be safe. Be kind.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

+1 also

I assume that they think -5 min off today's BQ times will let everyone in?

I bet it fills up on the -10 min day.

Tramps... you'll BQ in March... just won't get in if you wanted in Sept but not issue since been there done that, right?

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Tramps

Tramps... you'll BQ in March... just won't get in if you wanted in Sept but not issue since been there done that, right?

Maybe, we'll see.  Never say never but, yeah, I probably wouldn't go back regardless.  It was fun but very $$ and there are too many other races I'd do as a destination race. 

Regardless, I do like the multiple qualifying levels.  Even if you're not going to attend, there are now multiple BQs to shoot for....BQ, BQ-5, BQ-10, BQ-20(!).  Sure, it's totally arbitrary, but it's a fun incentive.

Be safe. Be kind.

TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

From the announcement: (sorry the text is so f'n small!  How to fix that?  I can add smileys, custom characters, images, ...but can't get my copy to be legible??

>>>However, the new registration process addresses the increased demand among qualified runners to participate in the Boston Marathon and will accommodate those who are the fastest qualifiers first.<<<

So does this mean Fastest?  Or does it mean Fastest in each Age Group?  A 75 yo runner who runs like a 40 yo, will still be slower than the "fastest qualifiers".

Craig

-Craig - "TPFD53 at gmail dot com"

Marathon Maniac #957

Never say never but, yeah, I probably wouldn't go back regardless.  It was fun but very $$ and there are too many other races I'd do as a destination race. 

+1

I had my two Bostons, had a great time at both, but yes, there are lots of other spring races that I'd like to run, most of them a lot less expensive, so I'm not particularly worried about not getting in again.  I did really enjoy the meet-ups, though...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

I guess I definitely have to wait until I'm 70 now.....

Renee the dog

You know, the more I think about this, I think this decision will be the "New Coke" decision of the 2010 decade. 

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

#artbydmcbride

From the announcement: (sorry the text is so f'n small!  How to fix that?  I can add smileys, custom characters, images, ...but can't get my copy to be legible??

>>>However, the new registration process addresses the increased demand among qualified runners to participate in the Boston Marathon and will accommodate those who are the fastest qualifiers first.<<<

So does this mean Fastest?  Or does it mean Fastest in each Age Group?  A 75 yo runner who runs like a 40 yo, will still be slower than the "fastest qualifiers".

Craig

Fastest in each age group.  All of those who qualify at BQ minus 20 minutes in their age group will be allowed to sign up the first week. 

Runners run

BlazinCajun

I feel for those that planned on running a certain pace to qualify - if they had known about the wave registration I'm sure they would have put it in a higher gear during their qualifying race and training. Hope I get in.

Andrew
                          ------------------
                          God, my Lord, is my strength;
                          he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                          and enables me to go upon the heights.
                          Hb 3:19

Renee the dog

You know, I woke up thinking about this.

I sat on a BQer for a year before I could use it because registration closed before my fall race was run.  There were many others like me, who had what in previous years would have been a "2 year qualifier" being only good for 1 year.  So, yeah, we were ready to register Day 1.  The speed of my internet connection had nothing to do with me gaining entry.  What gained me entry was knowing that there was a glut of folks with qualifiers out there (based on the previous year's early fill up), and planning for it.  I had the entire business day to fill out the form.  BAA even provided Facebook updates that registration slots were going fast, but folks still had the whole day (based upon Boston's time zone). That is not a "fastest internet connection" contest.   Other races, which have filled up in minutes, have come down to an internet connection and typing contest, which is probably a reverse sexist/ageist endeavor, since who has the best typing skills but older women! Joking Wink  So, while I agree there's a glut of qualified people now storming the system, I'm not sure the new plan didn't just fizzle the whole aura of that "I qualified for Boston"  for the slightly better than average runner out there.  I know my BQ feels sullied now (hey, I'm an impostor too).  Or the whole "Oh, BQ "D", good for you."  I do know my spend on the "pinnacle" event of my running career to date is going to be much, much lower than I originally planned.  A Boston jacket?  Does it mean the same thing now?  NO it doesn't.  Oh, I qualified before it got tougher to get in... 

Is the new system fair in the short term?  Maybe if you're Canadian it is...  But it seems to me, that by opening registration super-early in the fall season, the BAA has effectively given the finger to anyone living in the Southern U.S. with normal fall marathon plans.  (And our southern friends can't even make a last minute play for a late spring marathon unless they have vacation time and money -- spring season's waning quickly in the South!)

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

I agree with these changes for the most part.  Boston should remain a Marathon that rewards the fastest runners.  That is it History and it should retain that image.  As the number of Marathoners has exploded, they needed to reduce the qualifying times and they did that beginning in 2013.  And the rolling registration will ensure that the fastest qualifiers have first chance.

I do think, though, that it was really odd that they wouldn't wait till after the NYC Marathon to open up the registration.  What possible reason could they have for making all the Fall Qualifiers wait another entire year to register?  Bad decision here ...

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Good points nono

Once we find out at which tier Boston fills up (-20 not likley, -10 maybe, -5 probably) we'll know times to shoot for for maximizing chance of getting in.  I would only want to run a BQ if I knew I'd get in (if I wanted to). Otherwise, what's the point of a BQ?  Even NYC has qualifying times which allow Guaranteed Entry!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova