Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 12.11.17 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sorry, but I've got no time for a more extensive post today - my first meeting of the day starts in less than an hour.

Thanks, Holly and Metalmancpa for the great pics of Mt. Katahdin yesterday, and Milktruck for that surprise video. I didn't realize how far back in the pack I was at the start. Here is some local TV coverage from the race:

For anyone considering doing the Millinocket full or half marathon next year, reserve your overnight accommodations early. I signed up for the race last May, and there were no rooms left anywhere in Millinocket. So I got a room (the last one they had) at a place in Lincoln, ME, about 40 minutes away. The race also filled up (2,600 max, I think), but not till sometime in early Nov. Next year's race date is Dec. 8.

I did about 1.9 miles on a snow blower cross-training workout yesterday, and spent most of the afternoon at a great neighborhood Christmas party. 2.9 easy recovery miles this morning, with only a couple of slight slips on some black ice.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Have a new business unit head starting today, the next few days are going to be a crazy round of meeting and presentations to bring him up to date with what we have been doing.

The former head is officially retiring at the end of March, so there is some overlap/transition time.

Due to the finals of the 2017 game I'll not be posting my workouts in the dailies. For the next couple of weeks.

Kiddo is on his way back to health and the local school system is shut for DD due to the after effects of our winter storm here, mainly minor roads the buses have to travel being slick still and power issues with downed trees.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Good morning!   3.2 chilly but non-windy miles to start the day.  Started out really slowly, which felt pretty good, although I'm always amazed at how slow I can manage to run.....   2.1 miles on the treadmill after work.    5.3 for the day.

Lots of discussion about the female winner at Dallas Marathon yesterday who was aided across the finish line and last 50 yards or so by a rlay runner.  I guess no prize money this year, but despite the heroic finish, I believe she should be DQd.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

C-R

Morning everyone.

Good luck in the meeting Jay

Good luck with the new department head and the finals of the 2017 game. I participated for the first time this year and it was a nice diversion.

I saw that Dallas marathon finish. Racing is an individual thing if you're going for glory. So as cool as the camaraderie is I'm with you on the DQ for a podium spot.

First workout of the training cycle today. I'm adding some warm up and cool downs to every run. Trying to be smart for a change. 4 chilly miles with 3 at pace.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

So, I locked myself out of my bedroom at 5:45am (there are Christmas presents in there, so I am keeping it locked so my daughter won’t see them) and went downstairs to get on the computer, but I didn’t realize that my husband had taken the key from the hiding place in the kitchen and left it on the bedroom dresser.  Therefore,  I can’t get to my purse, clothes, shoes, contact lenses, etc., basically everything I need to leave the house.  My son, who has the spare key, spent the weekend with his girlfriend at Ohio Northern (almost two hours north), so I am stuck here in my pajamas until my son gets home around 11am.     Fortunately, I can log in to my work computer and get some work done.

I thought I would take advantage of this to get some extra running in, but no, turns out I don't have a spare pair of running shoes in the garage anymore - I left them in the bedroom.  I was able to put together some workout clothes from the laundry room, but the only shoes I could find were DD's old pair of Nikes that are so worn there is no tread left.  I did run a little bit, but was afraid to run very far in those shoes.

2 miles on the TM, followed by about 45 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning folks. 5.2 miles in the snow this morning - very, very slippery out there. And having your face pelted with freezing, icy snow at 5:30 in the morning? Priceless. I forgot how much I love winter

Tramps

I'm behind and will try to catch up on weekend posts later today.

Holly--what a drag!  That's a bad start to a Monday.  Hope it gets better.

Catwhoorg--"finals of the 2017 game" 

I guess I'm an outlier on the whole Dallas Marathon thing.  No prize money. No 2nd place runner in sight. The "assistance" was minimal and unsolicited. There's no point in DQ'ing, IMO.

Our forecasted weekend snow turned out to be mostly a bust--just an inch or two--but it left slush/ice on the roads so no ride yesterday. 4.5 mile run this morning, though.

Have a good week.

Be safe. Be kind.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Tramps,

the 2017 in 2017 link in the top bar.

Its a miles/running game, moistly fun and motivation but when you get down to the last 2 it is rather serious business.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Henrun

3 miles on well plowed and dry sidewalks and bike paths.

Jay- great race and videos, glad you got home safely.

Holly-at least you didn’t get locked out of the house😊

Jlynne-that’s why we head south for part of the winter🚵‍♀️

I am also going to vote for a DQ in terms of a podium finish. Help may be minimal, but the rules are what they are. All rules in all sports are totally arbitrary. But we set them in advance and you compete under whatever they are. No assistance, means no assistance.

Holly S. you have some lock on your bedroom! Mine you can open with a screwdriver if you are locked out.

Did an hour on the elliptical when I got up. Then ran around like a chicken with its head cut off to get ready for the final leg of my marathon travel series. This is the worst of the lot - a flight to Beijing. I would so much rather be staying home.  Nothing I can do about it. Work is work like it or not. Not looks like the operative word here. I just checked the air quality forecast and it is AWFUL for the next few days. Towards the end of my trip it is predicted to be hazardous. I brought along some of those paper air masks you see people wearing in pictures of Beijing. But I suspect they are not really all that helpful. Anybody know for sure if they do any real good?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly S. you have some lock on your bedroom! Mine you can open with a screwdriver if you are locked out.

Our old bedroom door lock was like that.  DD figured out how to open it when was about 7.  Hence the replacement with a lock that takes a key.    Sorry you have to go to Beijing - sounds like lots of not-fun!

Henry - you are right, it is better than being locked out of the house. Especially in pajamas.  In the winter.

Ah, DS has arrived to save me, so I's best go get ready and head in to the office.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Gause masks - Er-mao Jiaoshou - yes, the masks work. Very common in Japan too but I’ve never seen anyone wearing them over here, . . . except me when running right next to morning freeway traffic on the floating bridges across Lake Washington.

If the air quality is still that bad in the Beijing winter, please wear a clean gause mask (or better) every time you go outside, . . . if not inside.  I bet if you dare try a 12-mile run over there, the mask’ll be almost sooty when you get back to the hotel, . . . . if you can find your way back.  Good luck.
                          Dallas DQ - as is the case for probably tens of thousands of marathon finishers, if not more, who get some sort of assistance along the way that would DQ them instantaneously in IM events, negate possible BQ’s etc. etc. I hope the Dallas finisher is properly recognized and recorded in the results, . . . but not on the podium.
                          Holly - too bad it’s probably too cold back there
                          or I’d recommend an alternative shoe idea for you.
                          Good luck.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Slept in again -- feels so good!! Then rushed to the gym did 30 min spin/1mile treadmill run/30 min barre/strength class. Dentist done.

Now to stay motivated and get the multitude of errands done that need doing!!

Holly - glad you weren't locked out of the house in pj's as well!!

Happy Monday friends!!

denise

Slept in again -- feels so good!!

....a Capital Idea.......

=====================

other than that, I got Nothin'.....

unless

there's a box that says-

PT ''Butt Kicked''>>>>>>>which I will put a CheckMark

..............good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

metalmancpa

6.3 miles, 8:42/mile, on my still niggly hamstring...is niggly a word?

I enjoy football (NFL), the New England Patriots being my team. I think of my current hamstring issue. I've had past hamstring issues that has put me on the shelf for stretches, have blown out calf muscles and an Achilles rupture both in my right leg. Seeing Carson Wentz go down with an ACL last night shows how we all walk the line of injury. One day we could be running, then a pull or tear or PF or a host of other issues can put us on the shelf, sometimes permanently. My point is each day I get out for a run I enjoy it as if it's my last. I've honestly never partaken in an activity I've felt as strongly as I do about running. I played soccer and was good, but I moved on. I picked up Ice Hockey in my 20's and 30's, but moved on. Even though I started running in my 50's, I'm pretty sure when the day comes I can no longer run (hopefully decades from now) that I will be the most disappointed of any activity that I've stopped (purposefully or not).