Masters Running

2's-Day, April 8 Boomer Runs (Read 649 times)

King of PhotoShop

Munch, I'm running in a long sleeved shirt. It isn't hot here yet, believe me. Gordon, as it turns out, the Bellingham bank wants me to do work in a place called Long Beach, and not the California Long Beach either. They said it's just as easy to fly into Portland to get there. Anyone near there? Also, is anyone in this group near Tampa? I may be there in September. Where are you Breger? And happy anniversary to you too. Spareribs
    wildchild

Carolyn

Mary, congrats on taking the plunge and signing up! I've been thinking of signing up for my first half, but at this point haven't committed to one yet. I'm skeered... Teresa, Happy Trails to you on your Texas trip. Perch, Go Tory!!! I like your idea of writing Tory on your arm at Boston. Biketm, Are cyclists really such snobs? The ones in Colorado seem friendly enough, they usually wave or nod back to me. Jlynne, Don't worry about the kids being cold. You know how kids never want to wear coats in the winter anyway! This morning it was 15 degrees and I passed a kid waiting for the bus in a t shirt! Tall, I can't believe you know a lady who runs faster than you! Holly , nice sproinky run today! Sue, Have fun fly fishing. My DH is a fly fisherman, but I catch more bushes and trees than fish... Erika and WRFB, 3 time zones is small potatoes! Japan is 8 time zones away, and across the date line. The flight over from San Francisco took 12 hours, after the 3-hr flight from Denver. Anyway, enjoy Texas and Nevada! Spareribs, what do you mean, "we're getting some weather down here?" Don't you usually get weather every day? Big grin Glad your run went well today. Enke, I missed the original story about Creepypants, but I'm intrigued by the name! Bill, Happy Anniversary! Going golfing to celebrate? Wink BCMorant, your dad's friend actually ran 20 miles in his basement?? Shocked That would be 1000 laps! How would you ever keep track? Btb, I remember Jack LaLanne! Good luck with your ankle surgery - hope that fixes the problem. Wish you could get it fixed before Boston! Oh, and that pooh quote is a classic. Don't eat so much you get stuck in the doorway... Cool JJJ, nice technekkid run! Pretty much all my runs are like that, as I don't own a garmin or hrm, and only recently had a battery put in my watch for my Japan trip. Your runs always sound like such an adventure. Aamos, we're supposed to be getting more snow here this week, too. Enjoy it while it lasts - soon folks will be complaining about the heat! Craneium, you are such an inspiration to the kids! You still have to bike home after running 18.5 miles? Hope its not too long a ride. I ran a sproinky 4.4 mile tempo run at a 9:46 pace, followed by a cooldown mile. It was IRC - 50 degrees and sunny, light breeze. Shorts and tee shirt, at least for a day till the snow comes again!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Steve, yup while in Frankenmuth we did have chicken. They do know how to make a chicken dinner. Twocat, it sounds like your calf is continuing to improve. hopeful, congrats on signing up for your first marathon. The way you've been ramping up your mileage it was no surprise. craneium, you are quite the role model for your kids. 18.5 miles with them plus the bike ride makes for an impressive day. breger, congrats to you and mrsb on your anniversary. This morning, I was scheduled for my normal 8 miles. However, I have a hip that nags at me a bit, and has done so for the last couple of years. Usually, I notice it after runs of 12 miles or so, then have my normal day off, and the following day I'm good to go. Yesterday, after the half on Sunday, it was a little worse than usual. This morning, I could definitely notice it as I was doing my morning exercises and stretching. I went out the door to a pleasant morning, about 40 and just a bit of wind. The first few steps I knew my hip wasn't right so I decided I would do a short run, hoping to get in 4 miles. Things loosened up as I ran but I had already decided on 4 plus I was having more than the usual trouble breathing so didn't change the plan. It took me about 37 minutes for a 9:14 pace. I think I made the right decision as my hip has felt pretty good the rest of the day. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
        stumpy77

Trails are hard!

AAmos--now it's the bottom of the 7th and they're still winning!!! Dice-K seemed to have had a good game. Now I'll listein to the rest on the way home. teresa--if you get a chance to read--Richardson's is on route 114 in Middleton. great family outing as they have mini golf and driving range right nextdoor. Almost time to go hit a bucket of balls and eat icecream. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

GO SOX! We actually had the sun for a couple of hours and I made use of it to do my run of 3.3 miles. I talked to my brother today and he is in okay spirits and realizes he is going to be working on this a long time to get back totally on his feet. His words were...."I forget that there are now things that I no longer can do". This was sort of in reference to food but also was talking about activities that he knows is no longer in range or at least not in his mind. It may be my imagination, but his voice while strong, reflects a strange vacancy to it. Anyway, we are talking almost daily and I have been known to be a persistent voice for positive thought and action. We have two of the funniest threads going on ever. There is the thread on "tests" and then the thread that is blank and a challenge to figure out how to get into. You are all fun people. Women's NCAA finals tonight.
            Vista
              btb I had a cyst in my back removed surgically. It is really minor surgery! Alas, mine was apparently not 100% removed and surfaced again so I need a second "operation" next month. But calling this surgery is like calling a skinned knee a major injury. I hope it is a cyst since it is so easy to fix and once fixed is really and truly gone! Good luck.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Jlynne

C'mon, wild child - sign up for the half. What's the worse that could happen?! Wink If Mary can run a whole marathon, I think we can manage a half. The folks here are so encouraging, they'll help us both on the bad training days, and cheer us on for the good ones. Breger, nasty - nasty! I'll bet if your DW came to the door in a hot pink night gown, you wouldn't be thinking about golf. Belated congratulations on your anniversary. Tselbs - so sorry about your hip. Be sure to take it easy and listen to your body - you don't want to risk more serious injury. Btb - great pictureof my friend, Jack. He and Dick Clark are truly amazing specimens. Do you think they've been "enhanced" in any way? Are all you Boston people psyched? What's the long range weather forecast? The weather here is dreadful - they're predicting snow for tonight. After getting out and running in shorts and long-sleeved tees last weekend, this is too hard to take. We shouldn't have to be shoveling snow in April! Have a great evening, everyone. Jeanne
                TammyinGP

Today is one week of no running for me, but plenty of cross training. A couple elliptical sessions (set at a cardio mode that keeps my HR in the training zone), a few spinning classes and a 20 mile bike ride. But I'm ready to start running again and my doc today said I could . . . but very cautiously. I updated the visit in more detail in my blog, so won't repeat it all here. I can run the 10 miles this Saturday (oh, I didn't put it on the Intrepid but I'm signed up for a race on Saturday - Pear Blossom 10 mi) but only if a couple of shorter runs this week aren't bothering me. And I should ideally stay off hard surfaces for another week, but said Pear Blossom was okay . . . provided the next days of running are okay. I most likely did do some damage to the tibia and I just need to be real careful as to what I attempt over these next few wks. good thing I'm only running this marathon for the enjoyment factor and am willing to readjust my thinking that my time doesn't mean squat to me. it does, but it doesn't.

Tammy

Manchild

Good evening! Took yesterday off and ran a short recovery run after my daughter's lacrosse game, which they won 6-3 over a very good Bourne squad. 3 miles in 30:34, still feleling a wee bit gimpy in the calves but I 'll be fine... Mary, congrats, as Tall said or wrote, you've already won!! May I recommend the book "First Marathons" by Gail Kislevitz. Happy Anniversary Bill!! Chris
                    SteveP

Yeah Mary #6106!!!! Biked to work??5 runs today Craneium? Then biked home?? Yikes!! You feel as though life is taking you in circles??? 24 years Bill!!! Sweet... It was raing when I got out of work. I want to make sure I've thrown what ever I had before I get out in that crud again. I may be having an over load of good days. First thing this AM, I found a love letter from DW! Sweet.

SteveP

mary - congrats on signing up for your 1st marathon!! train well!! Jack Lalanne - brings back memories - lol sort of ....... my mom has a pic of me doing the exercises as a 3 or 4 yr old in front of the tv!! well, feeling a little better today..........resisted the temptation to try and run today even tho it was tough cuz it hit 50 and sunny!! did go to the gym.............took it easy tho - did 30 minutes on the arc trainor with the resistance low, 15 minutes on the recumbent bike then did some stretching and some of those proprioreceptive exercises -- geesh - those are harder than they sound!! going to do some ice now and maybe more motrin altho i've only taken it 1x today so that's an improvement oh - and eating --- after the pigout that followed yesterday's posts - i decided on a cleaner day today -- had protein shake and liquids only until dinner time and just had a nice healthy turkey burger and salad -- now to resist the temptation of the rest of the ice cream in the freezer -- you'd think with 4 boyz and DH it would be gone by now!! GO RED SOX!!

denise

Oh Rose - are you serious!!! Grand Rapids is 1/2 hour away from "home" and I've done the 1/2 marathon there twice . . . with our Boomer friend Rochrunner! I just decided I wanted a bigger venue for the first time out.
                          Mary, Good choice! I think you need a new route to run the new distance. We were going to to run Detroit but Grand Rapids is closer to Ralph's cousins in Kalamazoo... and the race director is a friend of a friend, so one thing led to another and Grand Rapids it is! We are going to arrive Friday and leave on Monday...are you staying in Detroit? Oh, wait, I guess this is half a year away... let's talk later! And... only because Aamos is feverish... Go Sox! (But... I wonder how Grady and the Tribe are doing?)
                          LaVita
                          dg.

Mary, Good choice! I think you need a new route to run the new distance. We were going to to run Detroit but Grand Rapids is closer to Ralph's cousins in Kalamazoo... and the race director is a friend of a friend, so one thing led to another and Grand Rapids it is! We are going to arrive Friday and leave on Monday...are you staying in Detroit? Oh, wait, I guess this is half a year away... let's talk later! And... only because Aamos is feverish... Go Sox! (But... I wonder how Grady and the Tribe are doing?)
                            you've got me going in circles.
                            Dave59

Like Otis Campbell as the town drunk on the Andy Griffith show, I am checking in as the forum lurker. I feel like I owe someone some money for the entertainment you all provide. First came the "blank" thread and then the "test" thread which was even funnier. I am down working in Charleston, WV for a few days. I lived here from 1981-1999 so I know my way around. I ran 5 miles last night and 4 tonight along the Kanawha River. There is a 15 mile race held here every Labor Day weekend that some of you may have heard of or even ran. I only ran it once (1989) in my years here and one year I worked as a volunteer. The rest of the years I sat at the 20k mark and cheered on the runners. The 20k mark was at the bottom of the hill I lived on. (Modified to add that my tiny avatar is a picture of me coming down the home stretch of that 1989 race. Just a coincidence that I had stuck that out there.)

pfriese

Evening all, This evening after work, I ran the usual 8 miler around the lake. Boy, was it windy and a bit cool (55F), sure was glad I had worn the long-sleeved tech shirt. 8.1 miles @ 8:54/mile avg pace Paul